1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

First Air Rifle Question (Newb Alert)

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by littleport2003, Feb 8, 2007.

1. littleport2003

littleport2003 Newbie

Hi Guys,

I'll start off by saying I wasn't sure whether or not to post this here or in the hunting section, so please feel freen to move it mods if this is in the wrong place:p
    Anyway, I'm planning to buy my first air rifle soon, but I've got some questions. Firstly, I plan to use it to shoot rabits, and other small quarry, which calibre would be better, .22 or .177? I have seen you can get little .177 calibre gun, but not .22, I would like to get some to practice with in the garden.
    Secondly how should I go about asking farmers if I can shoot on there land?
    Are domed pellets the best for killing things?
    Is it safe to eat rabbits shot with lead pellets?

Thanks, Matt:D

2. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

Hello, Littleport! Welcome to AirgunTalk

I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

First of all, calibre choice... ahh the classic debate. You can search google for countless articles on this matter, read them all and still not have a clear choice. It is mostly down to a matter of personal preference. General rules are

.22: The clasic hunting calibre. less penetration than .177 but a bit more wack. less affected by wind, more effected by range (pellet drop). Generally slightly more hnters will use this calibre, although the less penetration makes it harder to kill birds cleanly through their feathery 'armour'

.177: The common calibre for target shooting. It has seen a substantial rise in users over the past couple of years for hunting as well. more affected by wind. Less affected by range (pellet drop). Better for killing birds cleanly due to more penetration.

Also, if you were planning on a PCP gun, .22 tends to get slightly more shots per fill than .177, but is more expensive to buy per tin.

I am not sure what you mean by 'little .177 gun' the only thing I can think you might mean is a Carbine (or Karbine) in which case this is unture, as you can get Carbine .22's aswell.

Getting permission...: I have found that if you are polite and explain your intentions and add in a couple of points (if any) about how it would be helping the farmer you have a better chance of getting it... Also when you go to ask them, dont turn up in your camo with your gun slung over you shoulder or anything, but dont go in a full blown tuxedo either, casual clothes does the job :D

Domed pellets: again, personal opinion comes into play, domed pellets are probably the most commonly used, but it can depends on what you are shooting. Alot of people prefer flat heads for close range work or ratting.

Is it safe to eat rabbits shot with lead pellets? Yes it is, especially since you should be hitting the head most of the time and I dont suppose you eat their eads... do you? :eek:

Hope this was some help, others may be able to give better answers!!

3. Vulcanator

Vulcanator Engaging Member

Most of the points of the previous post are spot on, however, as your profile doesn't say where you live, are you subject to any power restrictions (e.g.12ft/lb UK limit)?

If so, then calibre is a matter of personal preference. A .177 will give you better flexibility when shooting your rifle for multiple disciplines (HFT, plinking, pest control etc.).

If you live outside the UK or are willing to get an FAC then get a .22 for sure.

Domed pellets are the best all round pellet in my opinion (H&N field target, RWS Superdome, etc.)

Ask the Farmer nicely in respect to getting shooting rights and if he has a good lookng Daughter-leave her alone!:D