1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Firearms Officer Visit Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by Omega man, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Omega man

Omega man Engaging Member

I’ve got my visit tomorrow from the firearms officer, to interview me for my shotgun certificate. I held a certificate many years ago, but decided not to renew as at the time I had no time for shooting.
    Things seem to have changed quite a bit from when I applied many moons ago.
    My cabinet is in place ready for inspection.
    Any advice on what to expect would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

talent likes this.
  2. 69chris

69chris Donator

be yourself..........and make sure you have plenty of biscuits :up:

Omega man likes this.
  3. gasman

gasman Up there for thinking, down there for dancing,,,,

Tea and biscuits mostly and a chat ,your be fine :thumb:

talent and Omega man like this.
  4. Omega man

I’ve not been concerned at all, but nerves kicked in tonight for some reason.
    Off to the shop for biscuits it is then.

5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy

Exactly this, be accommodating and treat him like a friend.

Omega man likes this.
  6. EastmidsHD

EastmidsHD Keep pullin' that trigger..

I had the same feo for my shotguns then section 1. I offered him tea and biscuits and he refused :D we did however have a good ol chat about this and that, I thought 'that was odd?'... Until I thought about it later and realised that all along he was weighing me up, clever bloke and to be honest a decent chap :thumb:

Omega man likes this.
  7. gsalmons

gsalmons Engaging Member

Had my interview just over a week ago and was also nervous!

However, he was a great bloke and we spoke mostly about shotgun safety, what to do with misfires and blockages etc. Covered buying/selling etc and then spoke about bikes for 30mins!

Really enjoyed it tbh

Cert arrived a week later

Good luck and offer chocky biscuits!

8. idontknow

idontknow Engaging Member

Ye nothing to worry about . If any thing like mine . Will be there 5 -10 mins max . Drink his tea and leave :)

9. mmamonster

mmamonster Big Poster

Just be normal with him or her.
    Atb

Omega man likes this.
  10. Duncan_H

Duncan_H Donator

I had mine last week and the guy turned down my offer of tea, saying he had just had lunch.
    Very decent bloke and like most have said here, he mainly wanted to cover safety and security such as key safes and how to secure the gun while travelling. We touched on what I have mentioned in my post and he just said he didn't see a reason why I would be refused.
    Half an hour later he left leaving me all excited about spending my hard earned on shiny things!!!

mmamonster and Omega man like this.
  11. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

My Firearms Officer just loves the ones I home bake for him.

juust great.jpg

12. waisted skirt

waisted skirt Donator

Just for the record, I was joking.

mmamonster likes this.
  13. Omega man

Well chaps had my visit today and he was spot on.
    He was happy that I had previously held a certificate.
    Spoke about gun safety and the certificate itself. Inspected my cabinet.
    Said my new certificate will land on the mat latest after Christmas. So I’m a happy bunny.
    Bought a box of biscuits this morning but he didn’t even want a cuppa. Let alone @waisted skirt pistol shaped :D

mmamonster and gasman like this.
  14. PaulB86

PaulB86 Busy Member

Am I right in saying that you don't actually have to tell them what you intend to use your shotgun for, or in fact where?
    I know it may be wise to, but I'm sure that you don't have to tell them. for example if you get a shotgun just for clay shooting and then get invited for a days hunting, you don't have to tell them you are shooting your shotgun somewhere other than the place you mentioned when applying for your licence. not like a FAC when they have to inspect everything from your security, your integrity and the land you intend to shoot on.

15. Vasbyt

Vasbyt Engaging Member

Nope, when your FEO comes round for a chat they usually ask what you plan to do with it but you can go game shooting, clay busting, pigeon bashing whatever

PaulB86 likes this.
  16. PaulB86

PaulB86 Busy Member

I was also wondering (after reading form 201) How far do they go back when checking for convictions, and why do they ask for your employers details.
    my only conviction was back when I was 15, I was walking home past a school with a mate when he decided to throw a brick through a window. unfortunately the caretaker at the school who had known me and my family for years, spotted me and gave my name to the police. he saw my mate too but didn't know him. he admitted it in court but I still ended up paying half the fine for the replacement window because I was with him.
    as for work, I am in full time employment and have been with the same company for several years. why they need to know that I don't know.
    does that mean I could have my boss as one of my referees? how can you prove that two people have known you for more than two years if they don't contact them?
    is it also beneficial to be a basc member or does it not matter?

17. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Keyboard Hero

How long since you were 15?

Paper Police records are weeded, same as licensing, however you must declare anything no matter how trivial it seems.

Youth offences are what they are, however persistent offences show a personality trend, even persistent speeding offences can be an indication of behavioural traits.

Attititude and respect for others is the pre-requisite here, no matter what you think of the FEO's most are retired coppers and can spot a bad attitude a mile off, If you think that it is acceptable to clout someone for no matter what reason except defending your life then you should not own a gun!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  18. gargloit

gargloit Post Whore

Treat him like a friend for sure, make tea, offer biscuits, but trust him just as far as you can throw him. Nod and smile but don't believe a word he says.

19. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Keyboard Hero

but definitely NOT like a friend with benefits.

20. PaulB86

PaulB86 Busy Member

It's been 17 years. the only other run in with the police I had was when I was pulled over (as a passenger) in my mums car about four years ago. we didn't know he was trying to pull us over, and if he was we didn't know what for. he pulled in behind us and sat waiting, I took my seatbelt off and was about to get out of the car when he appeared at my mums window. he said everything was fine with her and the car but I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. as we all know arguing with the police is pointless, especially when they think they are right. I took the £30 seatbelt awareness course which I wasn't happy about, as I thought taking the course instead of a higher fine was my admission of guilt.

Strathrpc likes this.