1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Finally There

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by louisvanhovell, Oct 27, 2019.

1. louisvanhovell

louisvanhovell Busy Member

With thanks to Ped for his help and Paul Chell for the great blacking.
    It's a bit over the top for a QB78, but I love this Chinese Crosman 160 copy.
    What really transformed it, is the Terry Robb trigger. Finally got rid of all creepiness.
    Cheers, Louis

[​IMG]

C220w205, talent, plantfit and 16 others like this.
  2. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Looking good :thumb:

louisvanhovell likes this.
  3. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Busy Member

Love that stock. :)

4. Mortimer

Mortimer Lord Haw Haw

Very elegant. I don't remember seeing a straight hand stock on an air rifle. What sort of wood is it?
    PS: Drinking meths is really bad for you. :D

5. Cinimod

Cinimod Engaging Member

Very nice indeed and it looks like a piece of salted beech to me...........dom

6. ped

ped Posting Addict

looking good mate

7. louisvanhovell

Thank you Mortimer. The inspiration comes from the Beeman C1 that I had.
    I copied the shape and had a friend router the inletting for me. The QB78 inletting is very simple.
    Then some shaping.
    Couldn't have done that part without meths.
    It's beech indeed as Cinimod saw. The blank only cost a tenner. The figuring is from a tree disease.
    Apparently lots of nice figuring in wood comes from diseases.

Halinfax likes this.
  8. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Looks nice Louis ... I've looked at the Robb rear set trigger in the past, but always shied away as not been too impressed with some of his products. Would you say it is worth the money and did you have to deburr before fitting ?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  9. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer....

Well done Louis... that's a pretty little rifle..:claping::claping::claping:

Its amazing what you can do to a simple and basic QB/XS 78....

I did very similar to mine removing all the crappy stained varnish to expose some nice wood underneath.... then with a bit of router skills and LOTS of sanding.. a piece of beauty emerges from the basic stock..

This is mine before I hpa-ed it...

20191005_220720.jpg 20191005_220733.jpg 20191005_220756.jpg

ped and Cinimod like this.
  10. Halinfax

.....and this is after....

20191026_100116.jpg 20191026_100128.jpg 20191026_100323.jpg

ped, Gary Jones and nevadacowboy like this.
  11. Mortimer

Mortimer Lord Haw Haw

Ah, now I've looked closer I can see the beech spalting along the foot of the stock. A shame it didn't go higher up into the woodwork, though spalting can weaken the wood. I cut some once and it cracked along the figuring.

12. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 Forum Nice Guy - Pepe Le Pew

Nice work mate

13. louisvanhovell

Good morning Mark, yes I would recommend the trigger. It is nicely made and I have found that it makes a big difference with regards to creep.
    I wasn't able to get rid of it with the original trigger, even after polishing and adjusting the screws.
    Also I like the shape and rear-set-ness of it. The finish is good enough. The front and rear of the blade are polished, the sides can do with some more polishing if you want it super smooth and shiny, but I have left it as it is. No burrs. It was with me 2 days after ordering.

By the way Mark, I forgot to mention you in my "thank word"!
    Mark sent me a manual, foc. Mark is a star. Thank you. I like my paperwork :)

That hurts likes this.
  14. louisvanhovell

That is very nice, thank you. Good work. Also cool after pictures. How did you achieve that finish? It looks like some burning was involved?

15. Halinfax

Hi Louis... yes mate. I hade the laminate stock as a "fusion" between my R10 and the QB78TH stocks... then looked at the Shui Sugi Ban fininshing...

I was gonna leave it and just oil the stock, but I wanted something completely different and unique, so out came the blow-torch...

I took it out this morning to see how she shoots at 20 metres... (had a crappy Walther fixed objective scope on it though)....
    Heres a couple of pics...

Initial 20 mtr groups 5 shots per target...
    20191029_105727.jpg

And the 78 in the sunshine...
    20191029_110347.jpg 20191029_110431.jpg 20191029_110459(0).jpg

ped and louisvanhovell like this.
  16. louisvanhovell

Very very nice Halinfax. I like that. Some nice creativity there. Perfect weather for a photo shoot too, and good grouping.
    These Chinese wonders are truly wonderful.

Halinfax likes this.
  17. Halinfax

Thank you Louis.. kind words.

Louis... indeed they are.... for a cheap little plinker... there is SO MUCH you can do with them...

What you have don't to yours is simplicity itself, but yet.. aesthetically improved the looks of the gun endlessly.

Like you.. O too have Ped to thank for his knowledge, wisdom and seal kits....

Over the weekend I bought another XS78 cheap, but purely for spare parts.. it broke my heart to strip it down as it was shooting at 11.1 ft/lb with JSB Heavies....
    It had been tuned and polished though with a few little extras in brass too ... but still I have a spare gun for .. spare parts...

The slip on moderator I made for it too.. has REALLY silenced it down... perfect for back yard plinking...

Enjoy your 78 Louis and keep us all informed..:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: