1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. No longer allowed Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- We now do not allow political and religion threads anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section) unless Airgun related and they must be put in the Airgun related politics section..

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

filling in profiles

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by pestie, Apr 30, 2012.

1. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

Im amazed at the amount of people that dont bother filling in as much info as they can on their profiles, maybe adding a few pictures even, as a lot can be said about a person doing that, my reasons for moaning are simple, I quite often read posts about people needing help, either setting up a rifle, or wanting to shoot their first bunny etc, and if they have a location as essex or london, I sometimes think, I'll click on their profile, have a look, and maybe offer them a morning on one of my permissions, only to click on their profile and NOTHING, no worthwhile info, ages,pictures etc, well my way of thinking is, if they cant be bothered to do that, why should I, :down:

2. timmaaah

timmaaah Engaging Member

:rolleyes:

It's not obligatory you know - some people prefer to remain relatively anonymous.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

Indeed. By the way, how are fishing weight moulds working out for ya?

:D

4. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

I know it's not, just giving my opinion thats all, but these people that want to remain annonimous, also put up posts asking for help/permissions etc

5. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

then you are very easily amazed... remind me next time i do a magic show to invite you haha.. but seriously, i dont think i have ever looked at someone's profile on purpose. the only times i have is when im on the forum via my phone and i click on the name of the thread starter instead of the thread title by accident. i have never read anyones profile. im not even sure what i have on mine. so you want to see pictures?? pictures of what exactly?

6. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

so for argument sake, someone within london or essex puts a post up saying they need to sight in a rifle or cant find anywhere to shoot rabbits etc, I would click on there profile to try and find out a bit about them, which you can see by old posts, but also info they have filled in on THEIR PROFILE, this normally gives an indication if they can be trusted,or not, they could be the type to go alone back to a permission that you have been kind enough to take them too, its happened in the past on other forums.
    if someone has entered info, then in my eyes they have history, and not a fly by night, seems so far its all negative comments, so I'll learn from this forum not to bother
    you'll see my profile lists stuff, nothing illegal happening, all above board, no reason to hide behind a computer

7. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

so in your opinion what could someone have on their profile that would give you "an indication if they cannot be trusted"

you are aware that untrustworthy people can lie on their profiles arent you?

looking through previous posts will give you a far better indication on whether their trustworthy or not and even more so simply having a conversation with them.
    having an empty profile for me doesnt swing in either direction

8. hounded

hounded Honorary Member

It works both ways pestie with regards to filling a profile in some people are not so forum savvy as others , it doesn't mean they have something to hide . Also vice versa as jetski has said people can create a false impression on a profile for various reasons to scam and so forth . I find it a bit daft to say you're not going to bother with this great forum due to people not completing all their about me info , but that's your choice which seems a shame as we have a great bunch here not only for knowledge but general banter too .

9. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

All good points, Stephen.

10. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

ok so i just went on your profile, i cant say i saw anything other than 5 photos of dead animals (which frankly i find bizarre why people would want to photograph dead animals, and that comes from a hunter) the only other thing i saw is you have a few guns listed under "airguns" only one actually being an airgun i might add lol, the rest are live fire guns lol.
    btw i wouldnt advise showing your full DOB as this is often used as a way of identifying yourself over the internet and phone

i really dont understand why it bothers you so much. im an open book, if you want to know anything about me just ask

11. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Hands up who has started looking at profiles :D ........... I do it all the time ;) ............. :coffee:

12. jetski

jetski Keyboard Hero

haha i have now

i still dont know what info your expecting to see. using yours as a guide, yours doesnt have anything on there other than your full date of birth and your guns.
    a lot of people only just manage to reply to a few threads and uploading photos is just way more than their capabilities. my father being a great example there. plus some people may not be comfortable having photos of themselves on a public forum, (assuming your talking about pictures of themselves and not just random pictures of their dream car or something?)... so i think its unfair to moan about people not having photos up.

profile info doesnt bother me either way but i do find your effort to push people to give personal details a little hypocritical

13. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

We're being watched, guys - they're after us!

14. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

But in the nicest possible way :p

John

15. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Yeah well we spend alot of time looking at peoples profiles LOL.
    It gives us some indications to, however not allot other than a name and a location.
    And from experience I can tell you (and all past and present mods would agree ime sure) that you cannot judge a book by its cover or indeed a profile page.

In all honesty if you want a good indication of what someone is like a phone call is allways a good start.
    Send them a PM offering the opertunity subject to a chat on the phone and give them a ring.

If you get lots of "yeah I shootz birdies for fun and to look gangsta init" kind of stuff put the phone down and tell us so we can ban the fool!!

Otherwise take em out and have a nice safe shoot :)

16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Oooh, ya big tart!

17. eyebrows

eyebrows Well-Known Member

I have one gun worth a couple of hundred quid. If I had a collection worth thousands like a few members on here have, I would want to be as discreet as possible, know what I mean like :cool:

18. kal el

kal el Post Whore

its takin me 2 years to find an avater and put it on. But if anyone wanted to know anything they could just ask, and as long as it didnt involve asking what wor lass is like then i would be honest and accomodating. just like my face book, the picture hasnt been changed for about 3 years. im not that same dashing looking chap anymore, child birth has ruined me and my figure.