1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

few questions about new gun and zeroing

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by mark, Oct 13, 2008.

1. mark

mark Well-Known Member

few questions am bored of my springers as you fire and then have to wait another 10-30mins for the lil b*****s to find courage to come back if at all so ive spotted a nice bsa ultra in local gun shop so:
    Q1 does a bsa ultra work well with 3-9x50 scope ?
    Q2 what pellets do they seem to like best i use aa hunters in my springers
    Q3 are bushnell laser sighters any use or just a gimmick
    Q4 their is a lot of arguments to what you should fill a ultra to i heard everything from 170-240 and bsa recommends 235 but also heard you get stranges at this pressure can any one shed light on this

last but not least should i keep my springers (bsa supersport and a bsa lighting xl tac)

cheers mark

2. i8allthepies

i8allthepies Posting Addict

Welcome to the forum.:up: I looked long and hard at the Ultra, I think for the price it's hard to beat and handles fantastically well. If you can come up with a few extra greenbacks, why not think about the multishot? - makes life easier, especially if you need a quick follow-up shot.:up: The cocking mechanism is not to everyone's taste - some prefer a bolt - but I think it works well, unlike the silencer which is cr*p!:( As for your queries -
    Q1 A 3-9x50 will make for a nice hunting rig on an Ultra, but might look a bit 'top-heavy', you could also look at some of the compact scopes, the current JSR's are good value.
    Q2 As always, try as many as you can.
    Q3 Bushnell lasers are excellent, I'm thinking on one for myself, great for varmint bashing in low light:D
    Q4 As a starting point, try 185. If you have (or can beg or borrow) a chrono, shoot until the fps is dropping off, then try charging to 190. It's tedious, but you'll soon esablish a 'sweet spot', ie. a zone where the power curve is fairly flat - and your shots therefore consistent. This will likely be about 35shots in a .22, 30 in a .177
    Lastly, give those nasty BSA springers to me, I'll dispose of them for you;) - seriously, keep them - they're quality guns and you should carry on enjoying them as a change from the Ultra.
    Happy hunting:D:D:D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  3. mark

mark Well-Known Member

wen i say the laser i was on about one that nhelps to zero in not a laser aim if you get me

4. i8allthepies

Sorry, my mistake.:eek: You mean the one that goes into the barrel.:up:
    I don't know, I've always found zeroing dead easy:)

5. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

Q1 does a bsa ultra work well with 3-9x50 scope ?

should do

Q2 what pellets do they seem to like best i use aa hunters in my springers

try them and see

Q3 are bushnell laser sighters any use or just a gimmick

stop being lazy and di it the old fasion way:D:up: i dont think you will save a great deal of time. may help on the windage.

Q4 their is a lot of arguments to what you should fill a ultra to i heard everything from 170-240 and bsa recommends 235 but also heard you get stranges at this pressure can any one shed light on this

no idea about that

6. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Laser bore sights are all but useless on air rifles. Even with .177 the tragectory is still too curved to make them any use. Light travels in a staight lines...pellets don't. I used one instead of a pattern plate to check the shot pattern centre on my 12 bore shotgun, but gave up on the rifle.
    The way I've zero'd for years works well and is as cheap as chips.
    Take a piece of cardboard, stand it against a backstop and shoot at it....aim somewhere in the middle. Now aim at the first shot hole and see where it hits. Adjust the scope and do the same again...repeat until the second pellet goes down the first pellet hole.

7. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

the old card board trick:p

even the new generation use it, it works:up:

did they have cardboard in the old days then buzz:eek::D:p:up:

8. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Like wise:up::D

9. i8allthepies

With a felt pen, I draw a 2" plus sign (+) on a piece of card, set the windage first (and hopefully never again), then the elevation. Usually done in 6 shots.:up:

10. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

How do you know which is the original hole after a few shots. :confused:

11. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

its the one that isnt getting any bigger lol:D:up:

12. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

After taking the first shot, I put a ring round it with a felt pen, it doesn't have tobe central/perfect as you are aiming at the first pellet hole, not the ring you have just drawn:up::D

13. mark

mark Well-Known Member

cheers guys just need to find sum were with 30 yards with lacking permissions at mo thanks to a ex mate gonna be hard i herd 5 yards is the same as 25 yards is this true

14. i8allthepies

More generally, with a .22, 10 yards is like 30 (with a 14-15 grain pellet)

15. mark

mark Well-Known Member

cheers again i shud be able to get 10 yards easy thanks for all advise roll on the 21st ( first day after pay day am off) den its 30 mins after ill be in yard scope zeroing

16. i8allthepies

What exactly will you buy?

17. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Original shot doesn't matter after the second, I always go for the hole of the previous shot. If it gets crowded I move out to a clean bit of card. I don't mark anything at all, but it's worked well for me since about 1963 and have always zero'd at about 10 yds.

18. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

You should throw the towel in Buzz If you have been zeroing your gun since 1963.
    I can zero a gun in a few minutes. :p

19. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Nice one Andy:tea::lol:

20. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Yes Andy, very good. That good I'm not even going to fight it.:D