1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Falcon Fn Issue

Discussion in 'Technical' started by LG2, Jul 19, 2020.

1. LG2

LG2 Member

Hi there,

I recently got my sanitized hands on an old FN19 .177 single shot and am having issues with the shot count. Apparently, even in .177, 60 shots should be available with the middle 40 or so being consistent. I am currently getting about 20-25 consistent, accurate shots from a 2500-2600 psi fill (this should give better consistency than the full rated 2700 psi). Any ideas what the issue might be?

Also, I think the probe section of the bolt might be bent as the skirt of the pellet often catches on entering the breech. If I fully retract the bolt and compare it to the breech housing the thinnest portion seems to be slightly bent up by less than 0.5mm. If any other owners could check whether this is also the case with you and let me know it would be very grateful.

Apart from this it shoots like a dream with a beautifully crisp trigger and I was easily achieving 10 shot sub 1 inch groups at 40m with a crappy 4x32 (replacement on the way), homemade bi-pod and less than ideal pellets. I could barely see the target behind the crosshair!

Any assistance much appreciated,

L

P.S. Does anyone have any idea where the Falcon owners forum has gone?

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Welcome to the forum.

Firstly I'd caution you against the expectation of 40 "good" shots from an FN19 as their cylinders are pretty small, although I guess it depends on what you define as "good".

I'm guessing you've not chronographed the gun; some consistency figures would help and this may well explain where your lost shots are going as these guns are getting on now any many have been played with by muppets. Well worth getting it tested / buying a chrono if for no other reason than to ensure you're legal ;)

The bolt probe should be concentric so if it's not this needs addressing.

The Falcon Owner's Forum has probably gone the way of many other marque-specific forums before it; given the rise of Facebook groups (which are usually full of bottom-feeders IME) and the fact that these guns are no longer made.

Stick around on here - you should find all the info you could ever wish for (and plenty of stuff you really wouldn't :p )

hmangphilly, NIVEA and Ganton Gunner like this.
  3. Stockscrew

Stockscrew Busy Member

I had a query regarding a Falcon recently. I was directed to the Falcon Owners Club but they are now closed to new members so that avenue is closed.
    Is the gun in question a Falcon or a Titan, same gun different manufacturer? If its a Titan, John Bowkett is the man to talk to, see his Facebook page for phone number. If it's a NSP Falcon, don't bother, he will not be interested.
    The bolt can be slid out for inspection by removing the retaining screw and rolling the bolt via the parallel sections on a flat surface keeping the bolt handle and locking lug off the edge of the same surface, that should show if it's out of true.

4. Blackmax

Blackmax Forum Rude Guy

Try @ped on here, he’s a mine of knowledge on the Falcon models and he’s a major contributor to the Falcon Facebook group where there’s a lot of really useful information.

5. LG2

LG2 Member

It's a Falcon, but the one designed by Bowkett (basically a Titan Manitou MC010).

I have already taken the bolt out to inspect/clean and the bend is only really noticeable when compared to something flat or when loading a pellet.

Thanks

6. LG2

LG2 Member

I know what you mean about the shot count, but even an air hungry .177 with a smallish, relatively low pressure cylinder I would have expected at least a few more than 25 shots. I do think there's an issue.

My first thought was that maybe I'd accidentally bought the FAC version (I believe there was a 14ftlb or so one). I've also heard of 'muppets' fitting oversized transfer ports which slashes shot count. I'll get a chrono and see and then post the findings.

As for the bolt, I would have loathed to shove it in even a padded vice and try to bend it back into place as I thought it would be difficult to get a replacement. However, Blackmax just mentioned a guy called ped and it seems he makes/sells Falcon parts so maybe I'll give it a try now a replacement is available. In your opinion would it be worth regulating a rifle like this (I think Robert Lane makes an FN19 reg) or is it just a waste of time and money?

Many thanks,

L

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Blackmax likes this.
  7. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Indeed; 25 shots does seem a bit on the low side and it's quite possible that this is the result of ill-advised tinkering.

I suspect the way to go with the bolt would be to remove the handle and get someone with a lathe to clock it up with a DTI and tweak it until running true. If you get stuck I do have some NOS Falcon loading bolts, but I'm not sure exactly what's there so I'd have to have a rummage. Suppose I ought to sell them but I know they're pretty rare and I quite fancy a lighthunter one day so am in no hurry to diminish my stash of potential spares.

The reg's an interesting one. Personally I'd not bother on the grounds that they're time consuming to fit properly and you'll never get back the money you spend. That said the FM potentially lends itself well to regging - the ports are separate items that can be swapped out (although I'm not sure what size the port in the barrel is) and the striker has a lot of adjustability. If you could seal the re against the valve housing and vent it through the cylinder threads (thus avoiding having to drill the cyinder) it would be more attractive.

Otherwise, given the nature of the rifle and spares availability it would be a real shame to irreversibly modify any of it for the sake of fitting a reg IMO.

NIVEA likes this.
  8. ped

ped Keyboard Hero

i have probes in stock .177 r/h and 1 lefty .20 r/h .22 r/h with lefty's by special order in these calibers
    your shot count is low even for a .177 as a .22fn 12 gives about 30-35 shots set at 11fpe
    for fill pressure around 165bar seems to be the start of the sweet spot for a sub 12
    what often happens is owners buy stupid springs from nobber and fit oversize tp's so your first job is to chrono with your fill pressure and run it all the way down to accurately get an idea where the sweet spot is and how many shots before it drops off -i'd not have this done in a shop incase it has been overly messed with
    of all the falcons the 19's are the only one i'd consider fitting a reg to but i'd not rush into having one done

9. LG2

LG2 Member

I agree. Maybe if I can one day find a beaten up/ non-original .177 I'll modify that to take a reg, but mine currently shoots fine as it is so I'll try not to turn into one of the aforementioned muppets.

cloverleaf likes this.
  10. Frenchy

Frenchy Newbie

Hi there, i have acquired what i though was a Falcon but i now believe its a Titan from photos but not 100% sure. There are no markings other than the PSI rating (2700) and SN. The photo of it is my profile pic. Do you know how to tell the exact model?

11. LG2

LG2 Member

The image isn't really big enough for me to see but from what I can make out it looks like a Falcon FN12, although I'm no expert. The Titan equivalent is a MC010 Carbine.

The markings on my FN19 are on the left of the breech when shooting the gun. They are a stamped picture of a domed pellet, then a wadcutter pellet, then 'S.W.P.2700P.S.I 95xxx .177'

Things to look for on a Titan vs Falcon and apologies in advance for image sizes:

Titans often have a less pronounced roll-over on the cheek piece and the fore-stock on a Titan is longer and more rounded in cross section, although that may not be the case on the carbine as both images are of 19 inch barrel models. Titans and Falcons have a different bolt handle and a longer, less square pellet loading port. Some Titans swapped the bolt handle shown here for a plain cylindrical one and the curved sided breech opening for the square sided one. Later Falcon FNs can be multi-shot (although yours looks like a single) with a groove in the fore-stock.

Titans and Falcons went through quite a few evolutions in their time so these pointers aren't certainties. These images show the differences mentioned but not all of them may apply to your rifle as it depends where your rifle comes in the evolution (but if your gun has any of the early Titan markers - the walking stick-like bolt, curved loading tray, brass trigger, cheek piece etc. it is certainly a Titan). Titan became Falcon so it's natural that late Titans look very similar to early Falcons.

Titan:
    Titan 1.jpg
    Falcon:
    20200524_130315.jpg
    Titan:
    Titan 2.jpg
    Falcon:
    20200524_130321.jpg
    Titan:
    Titan 3.jpg
    Falcon:
    20200524_130332.jpg

Hope that helps.

L

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  12. Frenchy

Frenchy Newbie

3D65465E-956C-4DD4-BB8E-9D08303C6A63.jpeg 3D65465E-956C-4DD4-BB8E-9D08303C6A63.jpeg 3D65465E-956C-4DD4-BB8E-9D08303C6A63.jpeg
    Thanks so much. From what you say it looks like it maybe a Falcon after all. Definitely no pellet markings and very similar to your second photo. Apologies I thought my profile pic would zoom out but I have attached the photo so hopefully you can see. Thanks for the information it’s very much appreciated. Regards F
    3D65465E-956C-4DD4-BB8E-9D08303C6A63.jpeg

3D65465E-956C-4DD4-BB8E-9D08303C6A63.jpeg

13. El Caro

El Caro Keyboard Hero

Straight cut across breech blocks were used on late Titan Manitous. Falcon set themselves up in business while Titan were still in existance, hijacked the whole design and just changed the stock shapes a bit.

Frenchy likes this.