1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

FAC license for pistols?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by jimmyhackers, Jul 13, 2014.

1. jimmyhackers

jimmyhackers Well-Known Member

just wanted to know a little more about FAC or over 6ftlb pistols and the rules on ownership.

1. firstly why use an fac pistol instead of a more powerful but non fac rifle?
    2. what are the reasons for having an FAC pistol?
    3. is there still a limit on power on an FAC pistol, or can it be unlimited?
    4.if you own a FAC. can you use a sub 6ftlb pistol that has been modified to over 6ftlbs or will it need registering or an MOT but for guns?
    5. are FAC's specific to the type of gun or is it a blanket type license for all airguns?
    6. i recieved a police caution for the production of cannabis when i was 18, im now 26. will this effect my prospects of obtaining an FAC?
    7. what will is cost to get a FAC and what will i need to do?

sorry if some of these question seem silly, im really contemplating applying for an FAC and im just wondering whats entailed and wether the effort is worth owning a "real" airgun.

thanks in advance for your help
    jim

2. Egg

Egg Major Poster

You're not allowed to own a FAC pistol - air or otherwise - unless it's a single shot .22 type used by vets and stockmen for humane despatch and you need to be one of those 2 professions in order to obtain it.

The fact you were convicted of a criminal offence may well have a detrimental effect on any FAC you apply for but forget the pistol FAC unless you're planning on a career change.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  3. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

What makes you think a "real" airgun has to be of FAC power?

4. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

Completely wrong! And I say that from first hand knowledge!

Calibres, pistol types and magazine restrictions that are granted for Humane Dispatch will depend on the local Police Force. The use of these pistols is not restricted to only those professions mentioned previously and being a recreational stalker I know of many similar stalkers who own pistols for Human Dispatch.

Some are revolvers, some are semi auto pistols, some have chamber/magazine restrictions, and some don't. Calibres that have been granted that I know of personally are .22LR, 32L, .38Special, 9mm and .357Magnum ..

You can also own and shoot pistols under a Section 7 clause, which is for "historic" and/or "collectable "..I believe you have to store and shoot them at a specially licenced range /club. I don't know anyone who shoots this way, and its not an area that interests me so don't know the exact requirements.

Re an FAC rated air pistol, I have no idea what the situation is with them.. I can't imagine what your "good reason" would be?

5. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Cool, cheers for the clarification on that one - I was always led to believe that it was a single-shot .22LR or nothing but if there's beefier calibres and different pistol types allowed then it's all for the good as far as spreading facts are concerned :)

6. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

The most common pistols I have seen have been in .22 and .32 in revolvers with 2 shot chamber restrictions. A friend has a Walther PPK in .32 but with a two shot magazine restriction. Somebody else I know has a 9mm Browning HiPower, and I know of another waiting on the return of his FAC with an unrestricted .357 revolver on it..It all depends on the policy of the local Police and the justification presented for good reason..

7. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Anyway, let's not get too bogged down in the intricacies of "real" pistol ownership.

The OP's asked specifically about air pistols so on that note he's not allowed to own an air pistol that puts out more than 6 ft/lb of KE because there's not a FAC category for air pistols over that power limit. As ever there's an exception to the rule by way of the air-cartridge system (like the Brocock's) pistols but they're a special case and cannot be bought. sold, lent or given away at any time unless they've been rendered unusable by a gunsmith and re-sold as a de-ac.

8. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

The trouble with the Brococks was that they could be converted to fire live ammo and the Police got their collective nickers in a twist over it..

I was surprised to see a S&W revolver air pistol down at the range the other day, quite a fun pistol even restricted to 6foot/lbs..

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Basically,as an air gun enthusiast and nothing else,you can't shoot anything over 6 ft lb otherwise you're going to be in prison :eek:

10. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

There are some very odd idiosyncrasies, but surely the revolver is a long barrel? Even our Olympians can't train the uk.

Ive had some very strange things in my cabinet, when my father retired I had a .44 and .357 humane dispatcher, 2 .22lr powered dart rifles (that were beautiful, after contacting every zoo in the country I still couldn't get rid, a vet in north yorks had one, the other was destroyed) and 2 blowpipes (which are S.5), they both went to a local zoo.

11. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You can have short revolvers and autos for humane dispatch. Some forces want mag restrictions etc some don't.

Cheers Andy

12. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Andy, I know, otherwise they wouldn't have been on my FAC, that's why I was asking about the revolver, surely it must be a long barrel.

Ive still got three captive bolts here too, nightmare to get rid of.

13. r10hunter

No they are short barrels sometimes some of the chambers are filled with weld if a force limits your slot to two shots etc.
    Cheers And

14. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

you can get historic pistols as mentioned above, you can have a modern black powder revolver too

15. Pete E

Pete E Engaging Member

That's correct..

As usual the whole thing is very ill thought out. Many Forces word the condition to restrict their use Humane Dispatch only, so technically, you can't shoot them at the range, practice or do load development for them, which is not very satisfactory considering what the are going to be used for..

16. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Thats ridiculous, there is no need for a range or load development, you shoot an animal in the head from inches away, there is no need for the above.

17. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Andy, were miscommunicating, I know the legality of pistols, I had them on my FAC, Pete e made the post he knows someone with a 357 revolver, it's either long barrelled or a humane dispatcher.

18. r10hunter

Sorry.

A humane dispatch pistol won't always be used from inches if you get that close you can use a knife, Target practice could be needed to make an accurate shot on deer that make it to cover and are too dangerous to approach closely.

Personally I don't rate pistols for humane dispatch on deer anyway. If you have a high seat only condition, or the rifle can't be used in a safe way on the ground I think a folding single barrel shotgun in your rucksack is as good and far less Agro than a pistol.
    Many people use the humane dispatch thing just to get a pistol.
    Cheers Andy

19. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Then the humane dispatcher isn't prescribed in that situation.

there is nothing to stop anyone with a HD pistol to shoot a couple of rounds from a couple of feet away at a sandbag, to think they need range time is charlatan.

if you can get close enough to use a knife, use a bullet with the HD?? bleeding a conscious animal is just 'halal', a strange comment from you Sir.

20. r10hunter

Apart from if your fac says humane dispatch only. Technically you can't practice at all.

Deer dragging its self off with a broken spine and you have not practiced with the pistol is not that good.
    It's the correct method according to any courses you will take. ( atlas joint or heart and lift). Obviously if you have a secondary firearm ( most people don't ) or it is safe and allowed to use your stalking rifle you would do so rather than use a knife but a knife is a humane method.

The point I was trying to make is that there is a lot more to humane dispatch of deer than killing a motion less deer at a few inches.

I have had to kill a deer with a knife and tarp on the side of the road and in a farm shop. You stop the animals suffering ASAP. ( I did not wound them in the first place)
    Cheers Andy