1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

fac land cirencester

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by tegrey, Feb 3, 2014.

1. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

im looking to accuire a fac license for fox and deer shooting and was wondering if there was any land in cirencester or what size land do i need if i was to ask for permission im trying to work out the rules and regs towards land size for fac riffles. any info would be great and helpfull.

2. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Unless you are a club member or have paid for stalking you will need the land before applying.

Re size of land, it isn't the be all and end all, you could have 1000 acres and none of it be suitable.

I think you need to do a bit of reading up on this before going any further.

3. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

thats why im on here looking and asking for advice.

4. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

also i aint gonna be aloud a .243 if i only have a acre to shoot on so just wondered if there was some sort of guide line and i know some places could be 1000 acres but they could have tracks for walking and driving so probably wouldn't be suitable using such gun so thats why im asking on here trying to get advice from other FAC gun owners.

5. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

No offence intended, just your questions are very vague, try reading some of the firearms act to get a feel for things.

There are calibre guidelines online too.

I just think it's a bit premature even asking about calibres before you have land to shoot on!

6. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

I'm no expert on FAC, but as I understand it, you will not be granted any licence until you can show you have an "approved" place to use it on. Be that a piece of land that is suitable for the calibre, or a gun club with an appropriate range.

So.... place to shoot first..... ticket thereafter.

A friend of mine moved house and changed gun clubs, in the interim between the two I believe he had to place his rifle with an RFD until the move, gun cabinet approval, and new club were all sorted.

7. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You will struggle to find anyone that will give you permission or lease you land for a centre fire rifle unless they know you or you have a great deal of experience.

Your best way forward is find some permission for your airrifle and maybe shotgun as well. Then once the farmer knows you ask him about fac.
    If you are doing a good job of controlling rabbits and pigeons he will probably let you take some deer.

I don't know many people who only shoot .243 etc. Most people will shoot Airgun, Rimfire, and shotgun, as well as you need all of those guns to manage most pieces of land.

You could do your dsc1 or build up a portfolio of deer stalking booked by the day and use that route to an fac.

But in my opinion the first way is your best option. If you want to enjoy your shooting you need land you can go to when you feel like shooting. Not be booking shooting by the day months in advance.
    Many people have centre fire for small patches of land, but realistically to have a decent amount of shooting you are looking at 300 acres.

You don't sound like you have a lot of shooting experience. Shooting foxes in the dark with a rifle is not really something that is very safe until you have a good bit of experience. Would you not be better having some time on smaller quarry first with a smaller rifle??
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

im trying to work out the best riffles for what i want so i can then work out what guns are available for my needs and price range, im also trying to work out what land is required for different guns. its all just investigating all aspects of the FAC so when i decide im ready to apply i have everything covered ie land, what gun is wanted, is it something i really wanna do, gun clubs etc etc

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  9. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

Sometimes in life we are required to take a slightly indirect approach to what we want. That's the case with FAC.
    If you're just trying to find out what the route is to what you want to do, then you've come to the right place to make a start. People on here will point you in the right direction. It's never easy asking questions as a new member of a forum, but you're building up knowledge quickly I should imagine?

As part of my route back into airgunning, I now find I have simple route into FAC. It's because the Land I airgun on is FAC rated. However, I am not interested because I simply don't want, or need the faff, hassle, obligation and expense of everything that goes with FAC. Not in the near future anyway.

Probably your best bet is to trawl the forums for info posted to help people like yourself who have asked these questions before, and then possibly find someone local to yourself who is doing what you want, and talk to them directly about how they achieved it?

10. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Absolutely, please bear in mind no-one is trying to be clever about this, there is a wealth of experience on here. R10's post is superb, expert advice.

Any of the frequent FAC posters here will be more than happy to discuss off line via PM if you wish.

Good luck

11. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

I use to do alot of shooting with an air riffle for rabbits, i also use to work at a clay pigeon shooting club on salisbury plain where i done the trapping there, i trapped for britains gold medalist at the time i also went to grounds with the owner where maddona went shooting, the owner was a big game shooter in africa for the big 5 and his friend was a wealthy guy who made gun stocks and done engraving on them that i also done work with, all this time working there i done clay pigeon shooting and also went out shooting pigeons, i also had a friend who was a games keeper who went out shooting foxes and deer so have been around shooting most of my life and also done a few years myself with an air riffle. i have not done shooting for many years now and also not around people who do shooting any more as i moved away. Im buying a BSA R10 .22 air riffle in which i will have something where i can then go find some ground to shoot on and hopefully get more land and big areas in which i can then look out for suitable places for an FAC riffle. So im not new to shooting just new to the FAC side of things for myself so any help or info will be great.

12. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

13. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

It all sounds fun, but when you read between the lines you, in all honestly, have limited experience with S1 firearms. IMO get your air rifle, master it, get some land and then decide. You may not want to go down the FAC route, one very respected member on here was a guide/shooter in South Africa but is satisfied with non S1 in this country.

Again, be specific with your questions, otherwise you'll get confusing answers.

14. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I'll be brutally honest.
    If you look back at past threads in this section of guys asking about what .17hmr or .22 C/F for foxes ect, they all have something in common. Most have time served on a piece of land with an air rifle and then move into powder burners.

As myself started with an air rifle moved to RF at 18 years old and 22 years on own 10 rifles plus two air rifles along with 3000 acres of deer stalking in scotland and 1000 plus at home. It takes time to acheve theses goals, I'm very fortunate as my family own land so I had somewhere to start but all my stalking I've worked to gain.

You on the other hand are stating at the bottom of the pile, if you know a farmer start there if not knocking on doors is the only way. It's a hard fact but there are hundreds of guys who are looking for somewhere to shoot and would be over the moon for a permission if it was just for an air rifle let alone an FAC. I've read your posts and there is no evidence that you have even shot any quarry.

My point is walk before you can run, as you do not even own an air rifle yet and guys dot give up permission easily.
    One other way to get started is ask on the forum to see if someone local would take you out shooting.

This is not a have a go post it's reality I'm sorry to say.

Andrew

15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You are doing the best thing you can getting yourself an airrifle and then go looking for permission. Once you have a foot in the door more permissions will come if you do a good job.
    Even if the first place you get is not suitable for fac their recommendation will go a long way with other farmers.

Look at things from a landowners point of view. If it were your land you may let fairly inexperienced people shoot with air rifles.

I doubt you would let inexperienced centre fire shooters shoot with centre fire rifles around your family property and animals.
    As Andrew said work your way up to shooting centre fire and have a lot of fun on the way.
    Cheers Andy

16. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

i know i have limited experiance with FAC guns but we all start of some where so all im doing is my home work im not planing on get an FAC yet im getting an air riffle so i can get some land and start shooting then once i have some land to shoot on i will then look more into FAC so for now im just working out all sides of it, im trying to find out what gun is suited for what and trying to find out what size land is suited for different types of guns, its all home work and research before i go ahead with anything, im not someone who jumps into things i like to plan ahead make sure i have everything covered before i do things so thats why im asking for advice from FAC owners. as for no evidence of shooting any quarry i have no idea how you work that out? i use to shoot my own rabbits to feed my snakes and i also use to shoot pigeons with a 12gauge shot gun for local restaurants and butchers so where that came from i have no idea.

17. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

also if you see from my first post its advice im after for FAC it doesn't mean im trying to get it now im just after advice on land and different FAC guns as no doubt some land aint suited due to size and location so was just asking if there were guide lines to different gun calibres?

18. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

Ok, you've been given plenty of advice, all sound advice, please take it as its intended.

You keep saying you want information from fellow S1 shooters, but you need to be specific about your questions, in all honesty, with no land, unknown quarry (you have to NEED a S1 firearm).

This seems a repeating loop of film, until you have land, with specific issues no-one can give advice on calibre, and until you get that land you won't know what is needed to be controlled, does that make sense?

why do you no longer have a shotgun? That's the perfect way to start looking for land, and you don't require such a stringent need for one.

19. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

This is doing my nut a bit now, there is all the information online, official info, calibre guidance is out there.

what do you want to know? You have no land, so how do you know what you'll be shooting?

Simply, rimfire or S1 air for rabbit, CF or magnum RF (depending on force area for fox), large CF and a lots of experience for deer species.

Re land survey, you apply, and unless you have a open licence the police will decide if its suitable for said calibre.

20. tegrey

tegrey Active Member

i will get my air riffle find some land and go from there.