1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. No longer allowed Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- We now do not allow political and religion threads anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section) unless Airgun related and they must be put in the Airgun related politics section..

Staff will not move posts for you if you put it in the wrong section – it will simply be deleted. You will then have to type it all out again and put it in the right place, so heed this warning.

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

FAC and Shotgun Licence?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by WebleyExcel, May 4, 2012.

1. WebleyExcel

WebleyExcel Junior Member

Might be a stupid question but can i get a FAC and a shotgun licence without owning any shotguns or rifles over 12ft lbs?

2. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

yes you can. In fact you have too!

you cannot buy a shot gun or firearm without a license. Therefore you must obtain the licenses before you purchase.

With shotgun you can buy as many shotguns as you like once you have the license. With FAC you have to specify what calibre of rifle you want and also have a good reason for needing it. Then your local force will grant you a "slot" on your FAC to go and purchase one rifle of the same description to fill that slot.

HTH

3. WebleyExcel

ok thanks man well would controling fox number be a good enough reason to have one i have about 70 acres of land that i can shoot on ?

4. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

For shotgun all you have to say is that you want to shoot clay and control pests. End of! You dont need to specify land or anything for shotgun, you yourself have to decide if land is suitable to shoot on or not.

With the FAC you will need to specify the land you wish to shoot on. If it is not certified for the calibre you require then the cheif firearms officer must inspect the land and say yes or no to shooting requested calibre.

With regards to fox, yes it is a good enough reason. However, forces seem to vary from place to place as to what calibre you need to shoot a fox with. Some will allow with .22lr, most will only allow with .17hmr and a small few seem to insist on centre fire as a minimum. If your force says centrefire as a minimum then I think you might struggle with only 70 acres. Depending on the land you should be ok with rimfire. Best bet is to speak with your firearms dept and ask them what calibre your land is certified for prior to making any requests or applications.

Having said all of that, a 12ga shotgun with the right carts is enough of a tool to take fox down at close range!

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. WebleyExcel

Thanks again for the info mate, ill just get my shotgun licence for now then . Is there any reason why i shouldn't be given a shotgun licence??

6. calum10203

calum10203 Junior Member

Not unless your a serial killer, Have a history of drug or drink abuse or mental health problems! :) I'm sending my application off tomorrow, Can't wait!

7. WebleyExcel

ok thanks man, just filling mines out just now.:)

8. calum10203

calum10203 Junior Member

Nice one, Remember they have to have a good reason not to give you the certificate. Just make sure you know about safety/Handling firearms etc and when they ask why you want it...Don't say home defense! :rolleyes:

9. WebleyExcel

yeh im just going to say ill be shooting clay pidgeons.

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I'd mention the fox control as well, fella.

11. WebleyExcel

ok thanks will do, who should i get to sign it saying that theres no reason why i shouldn't have a shotgun licence? and does anyone know how much they cost?

12. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Shotgun cert costs £50, coterminouts shotgun and firearms certs cost £60, so you save £40 if you get them both at once.

Any upstanding member of the community (basically anyone with a professional job involving the public) is good. They have to have known you for more than two years.

13. WebleyExcel

ok thanks :)

14. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

I would also recommend joining the CPSA.
    It helps to strengthen your application for a shotgun, and makes you seem like a more trusted person with one.

15. Tailormadefun

Tailormadefun Busy Member

If your going for FAC get BASC membership, it's insurance covers rifles and shotguns, the CPSA only covers shotguns

16. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

Im a member of both :D
    The CPSA (if your a club member) gives you access to there shooting event, and to basically any CPSA shooting ground.

17. Gizza22196

Gizza22196 Junior Member

id just go for SGC at the moment, i was going to apply for both but decided just to go for SGC as i didnt want to get it rejected and have troubles when i re apply
    shotguns are good for foxes out to a maximum of about 40 yards with a good heavy cartridge around 50gr anyway