1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

FAC Airgun vs. 22 Rimfire

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by Chicken_man, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Chicken_man

Chicken_man Engaging Member

Hello all, first post here. I'm a chicken farmer of sorts and have constant problems with crows / magpies taking eggs and also a minor rat problem. All birds are free range so no big sheds. I own the land so no issues there. I used to have a HW77K years ago and nowadays borrow dad's AA S200 (I think that's the model anyway, lightweight pre-charged thing) which is all good but particularly for crows, I'm finding it lacking a little as they always seem 15 yards too far away for a clean kill and I hate see anything fly off with a pellet in it. b*****s fly off and sit in a tree about 50 yards away and I'm not into taking pot shots at live animals. Would rather invest in a gun that can end them instantly. Backdrop is a steep field on the other side so no issues there.

So was thinking of a .22 Rimfire with a FAC but in Mole Valley the other day saw the Cometa 400 carbine with moderator for £200. Reading up it seems a decent little gun and there is the option to fit a better spring (Titan 5 I think?) and this takes it up over the legal limit. The gun is designed to operate at these pressures I believe so no issue there. Obviously I would need an FAC and that's all fine. I just want the best weapon for what I need to control.

Question is really, how does an FAC airgun compare to a .22 rimfire? How much extra range / punch would a Titan 5 spring in the Cometa gain me? Does accuracy suffer? What's the realistic range for accurate, clean kills on crows? Is there any other gun I should look at given a limited budget? Obviously a rimfire is not suitable for rats at fairly close range so I'm looking for a compromise.

Sorry for all the questions.

2. gasman

gasman It tasted like chicken

You may find it hard to find " one gun does all" type of thing, .22lr may be over kill, what's your land like ie size neighbours etc?

3. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I'd put up a Larson Tap or ladder Trap to catch the birds, it's effected this time of year.

Andrew

4. gargloit

gargloit Posting Addict

Crows have access to the national firearms database and can identify the make, type, calibre, and effective maximum range of any firearm you may carry. They will then take up positions approximately 20 yards beyond that range.

5. Shoto1

Shoto1 Donator

Too true ~ they also watch you tube and browse AGF :D

6. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

As has been mentioned already, you would be able to knock plenty over with your existing kit if you employed a ladder trap. We use one at work. The secret is to only plan to use it a few times each year and if possible choose different locations for each erection.

Corvids are fast learning b*****s and will not take long to work out that the good old ladder trap spells bad news for them. By then, you might as well take it back down. But if you do things correctly and bait it well, it will catch a good number. KB1

7. Chicken_man

Chicken_man Engaging Member

Thanks all. Land is about 50 acres and quiet. No issues with neighbours even with a shotgun. Field is well away from the road or any other dwellings and no footpaths. I have been looking at ladder traps and may try to knock one up and see how I get on. Also got a lot of bunnies so maybe an LR would not be a bad investment and stick to the S200 for rats and closer stuff.

8. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

We used to have similar problems with Crows but I went for FAC air so I can shoot the b*****s out of the trees!
    Cant do that with the .22LR ;)

9. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

This.

10. gasman

Yep or shotgun

11. Stonepark

Stonepark Engaging Member

FAC airgun in 20ftlb class will take crows to 60 yards without a problem in 22 and still splash down within 250 yards or so if a miss.

I did a 132 yard kill on a jackdaw last weekend with my rimfire (not in a tree but it was sitting 10ft below the top of a 60ft cliff) and eley subsonic bullet blew through like it wasn't there and splattered on the rock behind.

For your use a fac air rifle will do just fine and be less hassle from the police to acquire due to only shooting over 50 acres.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  12. 177

177 Donator

Concentrating on the options you listed, there is no competition.

IMHO pretty much any self-contained (spring or gas ram) FAC air rifle is largely a waste of a slot on your certificate.

Before anyone gets excited about that I'm not disrespecting anyone who has gone down that road - the above is meant simply from a practical perspective. Box ticking, if you will.

FAC PCP is infinitely more useful than an FAC spring powered rifle.

I've never shot an HW80 over 20 FPE that was very nice with around 18 - 19 FPE being about optimal. The higher powered Webley Patriot was particularly unpleasant, and I have never shot a Theoben Eliminator over 22 FPE that was worth shooting. They can run a lot higher, but you can't easily manage them or shoot as accurately as you would like.

I'd take a sub 12 FPE air rifle and a rimfire as a winning combination for almost all smaller vermin shooting. The one allows safe(r) shooting in and around buildings while the other offers surprisingly quiet, low recoil, well mannered and easily manageable accuracy out to silly ranges if you do your bit.

IMHO if you want FAC air it almost has to be a PCP to be of real use.

I would like another Theoben Eliminator, or perhaps a seriously tweaked and tricked out HW80, but I'd be able to do very little with it in vermin control terms compared to a PCP.

There's an awful lot more to getting a spring powered rifle to shoot well at FAC levels than just upgrading the mainspring.

When I got my FAC Rapid I thought I'd probably never use a sub 12 air rifle again.

When I got my rimfire I pretty much stopped using my FAC Rapid and my mainstay tools for almost all of my vermin shooting are a multi-shot sub 12 FPE PCP air rifle and my rimfire. I use the .223 for foxing and Scottish roe deer and a .270 for other deer.

I feel a sub 12 PCP air rifle and a rimfire are about the most flexible pair you could buy into. A nicely set up break barrel sub 12 air rifle can be surprisingly quiet and many a rat falls to a simple break barrel gun.

Good luck no matter what you decide on !

13. gargloit

gargloit Posting Addict

If you are wanting a serious dig at crows why not consider a .17HMR? Much better and most forces now prefer them to .22 because of the lack of ricochet hazard that .22 has.

14. Titchgamer

Titchgamer Honorary Member

No good if they are sat up high though.

15. 177

177 Donator

Not to mention triple the running costs of a .22 rimfire.

I pay around £40 for 500 .22 rimfire rounds. My mate pays about £14 for 50 .17HMR rounds.

16. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Keyboard Hero

your mate is going to the wrong shop.
    19 quid per 100 for me.
    just got 600 rounds for free from Edgar bros though so that should keep me going for a while.

17. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Although cost is not an issue in my book when when vermin controlling, but it dose when just plinking. All the guys I know with hmr rifles never shoot as many rounds on my range day as the humble .22 guys and it's down to cost.

Andrew

18. kenman

kenman Engaging Member

Also the fact that .22LR is much quieter than HMR!

19. 177

177 Donator

It could be a regional thing but I hear a lot of .17HMR shooters complaining about the price of ammo in these parts.

20. gasman

What make are they? The .17 rounds? Cheapest I can get are £12 per 50