1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

FAC Air, .22LR and .17HMR?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by mattgriff88, May 23, 2014.

1. mattgriff88

mattgriff88 Busy Member

I have recentley had my fac and I have FAC Air, .22LR and .17HMR on my ticket.

I went straight out and bought a .17hmr a lovely anschutz 1517 thumbhole.
    Cracking rifle and have been taking out rabbits at a 100 yards comfortably, well happy!

Now i don't think im going to bother with .22LR as I just don't see the need for it at the moment.

I know it is a lot quieter than a hmr but Im not really bothered how loud the gun im shooting is to be honest.
    It is prone to ricochets and the only plus point I can see of the .22LR over the HMR is the ammo is cheaper.

I applied for FAC air purely because I have a daystate air ranger 12ftlb which I did plan on having tuned to around 40ftlb but after getting a price I have gone off the idea and can't see me using it over the hmr anyway.
    Only time I would use a air rifle over a hmr is if I was shooting pigeons in a barn or simular.

As you can see im well impressed with the hmr for a rabbits and im thinking in the future im going to swap the .22LR for a .223 for fox control.

Bearing in mind I have never shot a .22LR which seems to be a caliber most beginners start with but I just don't see the need to be honest.

Do you think I should at least give the .22LR a go or am I right in what im saying?

Cheers

2. 177

177 Donator

I think you've answered your own question already.

I went with .22 rimfire over .17HMR for my rabbit shooting.

I've used both, a lot, and triple the running costs for no real benefit to how and where I shoot meant the .22 rimfire was infinitely more appropriate to me.

I understand what others get out of .17HMR but, for me and the areas I shoot on, .22 makes infinitely more sense.

The ricochet potential of .22 rimfire is largely down to sloppy shooting habits. If you are a safe shooter there is no reason why you should ever experience a ricochet IMHO

FAC air is something I asked for and was granted but, so far, I've done nothing about it.

FAC air basically gives you flatter shooting, but doesn't extend your range very much at all.

If you're really good with sub 12 FPE air rifles then your range isn't likely to increase beyond maybe 10 or 20 yards at best. You will shoot much flatter so accuracy is easier, but range isn't proportionally increased.

Additionally, if you have an existing rifle modified, you have the typically high attendant conversion costs and you seriously devalue your gun in the process.

I have always said that if you go with FAC air you need to keep what you already have and buy an FAC air rifle as well, or sell what you have and replace it with FAC air.

Another issue with FAC air is that once it becomes a firearm it is classed as one for good in most constabularies, and land not cleared for firearms or where use of firearms is considered inappropriate or potentially dangerous would preclude their use anyway.

There are certain circumstances where FAC air can be incredibly useful - most people that I know don't encounter these conditions often, or even at all.

If the .17HMR is doing what you ned it to do then ask what you think you might need as well which extends your capabilities.

Assuming the .17HMR is primarily for bunnies, you might consider a .222, 22-250, 220 swift or similar for foxing (if you need to control them) or .223 if you want something for foxing, long range rabbit and corvid control, and for certain smaller deer species.

It all comes down to the shooting you have available or that you expect to have in the future, and gearing up accordingly.

Good luck finding the right combination for your circumstances :)

3. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

As knowledgeable and helpful you are, I can't agree with the comment above.

I've had many a lr, and on my farm, almost EVERY shot ricochets, a totally unacceptable scenario, that's prone, sticks, top of my 4x4, so much so I've made the safest decision and no longer own one, its a shame as I really like them.

Now, this maybe an idiosyncrasy of my land, a shooter from this forum also experienced my hmr and my land, the hallowed calibre that 'doesn't' ricochet', 3 out of 10 were screamers, on that particular day (but its fair to say, this was target shooting, the bullets wouldn't have expanded the same as if they had hit a rabbit in the turnip)

The rest of your post, as usual, is on the button :)

4. 177

177 Donator

Fair enough :)

I can't remember the last time I had a ricochet with a .22 rimfire, provided I actually hit the rabbit I was aiming at...

The last ricochet I can remember was a badly pulled shot and entirely my fault.

5. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

I've fired hundreds of rounds of .22 LR and never had a ricochet yet, I've also observed literally thousands of rounds fired at my Gun Club over ranges from 25-50-100 yards and again never had any experience with ricochets of any description, perhaps it's the type of ammunition used or the rifle in question but I've fired everything from CZs, Sig Sauers, Anschutz, Ruger 10/22s with no issues at all, sounds very strange to me? Perhaps you're just unlucky!

6. 177

177 Donator

That more or less describes me too.

I only use hollowpoint subs in .22 which might explain a part of the equation...

7. scoie

scoie Busy Member

I have all the same calibres and also .223 , for me i think everyone should own a .22lr in their armoury , hollowpoints at bunnies upto 80-90 yards for me with a ballistic ret ( nikon bdc) , costs pennies to feed and not alot to own a cz rifle, its on your ticket allready so no extra to put it on, fancy having a cheap target session/apple/exploding target day , grab the .22 and have fun. I will always find a use for any gun in my armoury , even if only polishing it :)
    rgds
    craig

8. neiled

neiled Donator

Same for me on the .22LR as I've not seen or heard a ricochet yet on any of the perms I shoot and I find it sits well between my FAC air and HMR.

9. harry brown

harry brown Banned

I've had quite a few ricochet, my eyesight might be poor but my hearings bang on! :eek: ;)

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I've had ricochets - it's either something you have to learn how to minimise or avoid by not using .22lr a la Kyska.

11. harry brown

harry brown Banned

Are you firing into the butts at a club rather than hunting? You're unlikey to get ricochets in the sand. I've fired literary thousands of 7.62 using 1 in 5 tracer and they go all over the place as you can see the tracer when it strikes and ricochets on Dartmoor and various military ranges. remember you can only see 1 out of every five rounds and yet it still looks like a firework display at night. My land is pretty safe so they don't concern me too much as long as I'm firing in a safe direction. Once it ricochets it's losing energy fast also.

12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Like you say if the bullet is making that whizzing noise it's because the bullet is tumbling and losing energy fast. If you have suitable land for the bullet to run out of steam not a problem.
    No good for us though, although 4000 acres not much of it is safe enough maybe less than half, too many things to hit. Animals roads footpaths etc.
    Cheers Andy

13. Kyska

Kyska Honorary Member

As has been alluded to, the lr is the bread and butter of rabbit shooters, my land is very stoney, flinty land, great for drainage but not good for 40g of slow lead.

The reason it's so not for me, is the areas I'd use the lr is around horses, houses and private gardens, the rest of the farm due to huge contractor machinery makes the lr redundant, due to the field size, heck, some of the fields need a small cf for rabbits, the hmr is out of range (and my shooting talent range). Hence I use a .204, some fields are 100 acre plus

14. 177

177 Donator

I went .22lr for out to 100 and .223 for anything further.

Between them I figured they offered more flexibility overall and a greater range of quarry, so I had no need for the .17HMR since the .22 goes far enough for most shooting and the .223 goes further than the .17HMR

Or something like that...

:)

My mate uses a 220 swift and a 22/250 to great effect and I've often considered them as an option.

15. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Keep the .22 lr on ticket mate. no need to give it up for .223 as you can just add that on top.

A hmr will cover almost all aspects apart from rat/barn shooting etc, but there's nothing quite like sneaking about or ambushing/hide shooting with a silenced .22 and subs.

I use my HW100 for rats/barns, most other things HMR, but i do love a sneak about with the LR. As for ricochets, learn to hit what you shoot at! :p

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  16. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I would say if there is a chance of a ricochet that could cause an issue don't take the shot better still don't use a .22 lr in that area.

To rely on hitting the target is a little iffy.
    (I know you did not mean take to chances just making the point rabbits can move at the last second etc etc)
    Cheers Andy

17. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

True, but we are in danger (as usual) of getting extreme H+S here. First of all, if ricochets are an issue AT ALL, then do not use powder burners.
    Kyska must have very flinty type ground. I have fired off 1000's of .22 lr ammo and can't recall many ricochets. If you are concerned of where the bullet may end up, then don't use bullets.

18. harry brown

harry brown Banned

True, which is why I'm going to place a well tamped sandbag behind every rabbit I shoot at from now on in....;)

19. sneakysniper

sneakysniper Donator

Don't pack it too hard, you might get a ricochet!

20. harry brown

harry brown Banned

I'm gonna ask my FEO for a .308 for rabbit to minimise the likelihood of ricochets... :violent3: :cool: