1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Eye Sight After Ir Use

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by DEGS, May 22, 2020.

1. DEGS

DEGS Busy Member

Is it just my eyes ? …. I am suffering from a loss of vision after looking through a pard, atn, wraith type scopes.
    It almost makes my eye ache....
    I really want to be able to use one of these to do away with my nite site or homebrew kits addons.
    As soon as I stop looking through the above ….I am a right hand shooter if I close my left eye to then look around at night. My vision in the right eye is much darker and with a red blush / hew to it …
    am I damaging my right eye ? ...is it already damaged pre night vision use ?
    Cant find anything on the internet …

2. Autodidact

Autodidact Engaging Member

I'd go see the Doctor and get it checked out, eyes not working properly is serious, what you do of course is your decision, but eyesight isn't something I'd gamble with, it's not like you can buy replacement parts if it stops working ;)

Be well :thumb:

Richard James likes this.
  3. DEGS

DEGS Busy Member

Thankyou Autodidact.... ...I appreciate your advice …. :thumb:

4. EastmidsHD

EastmidsHD Keep pullin' that trigger..

Not the same but a similar situation to you, when I've been at the range for any length of time looking and concentrating on a target through the scope, my non shooting eye (closed eye) takes a good while to re focus and is blurred for a short time, I was worried about this and spoke to ophthalmologist on a routine visit, he said its down to getting older.

I'm in my late 40s and wear glasses so I'm guessing this doesn't help spending too much time looking through a scope?

5. genisis22

genisis22 Engaging Member

Hi This is well known with near eye displays. You nead to set the bright / contrast as low as sensible. Use the if as low as posible when shooting in buildings to minimise the light coming back to scope .A lot of guys use a 37mm green filter that fits in the bellows of eye piece.
    The problem is the pupil opens full in dark then you go shine a bright light straight in.. like an eye test dim room bright torch etc
    You could also try a pair of sunglasses first to see if you benifit from tint
    If you do remove lens sand down to fit bellows

Jukebox, bucketboy and Arron Yeates like this.
  6. shorthouse

shorthouse Plinker

by all means take professional advice, but i don't think there is much to be concerned about. our eyes adjust to the light available. left eye closed or in darkness will adjust to pupil fully open, right eye with light from the pard will adjust to pupil much smaller. look away from the scope, in dull lighting, and each eye will see differently for a while till both get to the same adjustment. i have used this deliberately to see my way back into a darkened room after getting up to use the loo. keep one eye closed to keep "night vision" in it.

7. Felixlogs

Felixlogs Posting Addict

Wasn't there a recall by Pard on some of the 008s recently due to concerns about possible damage to eyesight? Apologies if I'm wrong.

Edit; it was the 007 and reading more it looks more like a possible trade dispute and less than clear.

8. shorthouse

shorthouse Plinker

was that the laser or not laser thing? if so then it's a different kettle of fish.

Felixlogs likes this.
  9. Samobaggins

Samobaggins Big Poster

Use a tinted filter and place it in the rubber eye cup. Photographic ND filters work or you could use a red filter. It’s just your eye has adjusted to the light from the screen and your other eye is adjusted to the low light level. It’s a common issue.

PBaz Barrett likes this.
  10. Chocki

Chocki Engaging Member

Red filter as it does not affect your night vision as much, obviously also try to turn the brigtness down as much as possible whilst still being useable, OK you may not be able to distinguish every blade of grass but as long as you can see what your shooting at and hit it, then all is good, helps that the eyes reflect the IR light.

11. PBaz Barrett

PBaz Barrett 'I love slinging lead me'..

I use a green filter in my rubber eyepiece on the nv008. Does the trick avoiding going temp blind after prolonged use..

Rat reaper likes this.
  12. Morrisman

Morrisman Well-Known Member

Get it all the time, especially with thermal. Nothing to worry about, goes back to normal after a very short while, ask the rats/ bunnies.

Richard James and PBaz Barrett like this.
  13. DEGS

DEGS Busy Member

Thanks to all for their help with this ….. before I give up on a pard … mate has agreed to turn the brightness down for me to try ...and I could fabricate a filter to suss that out too ….all is not lost then :)

14. RIOT

RIOT Engaging Member

If you give up on it
    I’ll have it :D

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Unfortunately it's a common issue for a lot of people and it's the main reason I won't use night vision scopes like this, I find that I get headaches and a feeling of vertigo after quite a short period of use . It's not too bad if you are, for example, shooting rabbits and use a spotter to locate them before taking the shot. With air rifles it's easy to adopt a shooting position with the rifle held at chest level with a screen to watch the quarry and since you are looking with both eyes at a much dimmer object your night vision and balance aren't affected anywhere near as much so it's ideal for ratting or any shooting from an ambush or static position.
    Most of the scopes can have the screen brightness dialled down and you can fit a filter if needed, I'd suggest red as that will cut out more light than green - green being the colour our eyes are most sensitive to.

Reefmonkey and billy.whizz like this.
  16. Rat reaper

Rat reaper Posting Addict

When I got my 007 I turned the brightness right down but the picture wasn’t as clear , I brought a green filter off eBay And turned up the brightness :)

17. Richard James

Richard James Busy Member

You may find it a good idea to keep both eyes open when looking through any form of monocular. It takes some getting used to, but you can learn to concentrate on the optics and ignore the background eye.

I would agree with the advice to turn the brightness down or use a filter. Don't think you will do any harm, there's normally no splashback from a laser but it can happen. I do occasionally get some weird effects when I use my lasers in the night sky, but it rapidly goes if I rest my eyes for a minute or two.

If, on the other hand, you are highlighting some eyesight problem which is previously not noticed, then an eye checkup is never a bad thing, particularly if you are getting on in years, or (so I am told) particularly if your eyes are of very different optical lenses in your glasses.

I got the fright of my life a couple of years ago when the vitreous humour in my more-shortsighted eye split. The optician listened to me politely and then said, learn to live with it, it's quite common if your optical prescription differs markedly between your eyes.

Thanks for nothing, mate; however, it repaired itself after a few months. It never hurts to get an opticians' opinion, especially if you mess about with lasers of stupidly-high power like I do. You never care about the price of laser protection glasses, I tell thee.

18. bucketboy

bucketboy Big Poster

The human eye have two types of cells that perceive images, cones for colour and fine detail and rods for low light conditions.

Looking at an illuminated your eye will switch on the cone cells but when you look away the cone cells switch off and the rods cells switch on. This doesn’t happen instantly, it may take a few minutes, the older you are, the longer it may take.

Bb

19. DEGS

DEGS Busy Member

Thanks again for more help and advice everyone …

20. critter

critter Donator

Hello this is natural and everything looks darker when moving eye of the screen, I try not to look for to long a time. Keep looking on and off but limit the length of time, When I went for my eyes tested I mentioned that I shoot NV so basically asked him and was told does no damage it’s more an age thing I’m afraid :(