1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Explain a "regulated" PCP

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Antoneady, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Antoneady

Antoneady Well-Known Member

What does it mean to get a regulator fitted?
    what does it do?
    How much does it cost?
    what difference (if any) would it make to a Brocock Contour?

cheers mi dears

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

A regulator is a device that sits between cylinder and the breach, or inside the cylinder. The regulator measures a more precise amount of air per shot, which in turn saves air.

It will also eliminate the power curve, meaning the rifle will start at full power and will do so before it goes off reg. The rifle can also be charged upto 230-250bar.

My ultra before regging got about 48 full power shots, after fitting the shot count increased to 78, shot to shot consistency was reduced to single figures. In my opinion a brilliant upgrade!!!

http://xtxair.com/eshop.php#!/Brocock/c/5830225/offset=0&sort=normal explain in much better detail.

Hope that helps:)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    exactly what Stevie says. I would like to add that the shotcount goes up due to the higher fill pressure and the fact that the regulator makes the use of air more efficient. for a rifle with a low shotcount and a large powercurve, it's money well spent

4. jantar

jantar Donator

I too thought after taking advice, then buying (in hindsight the cost was in my opinion far too much) and fitting the regulator to my wife's new .22 Contour Elite would improve the shot count and increase the 'sweet spot' for her as a novice. Truth of the situation turned out to be that the difference it made was not worth the expense or the time it took. It will take donkey years to recoup the money spent. All I can say now that as an addition, and simply because I can't be **sed to put it back to standard, it will be staying fitted. Obviously if I sell it as is my financial loss will be high.
    When I buy another Contour Elite for myself (very soon because I was so impressed with its performance in its standard form) it will remain as standard. It was bought after reading the articles and test reports I have read of them in Airgun World and the other mags that they are truly an impressive bit of kit for the little they cost. More so, in my opinion for the Elite version where the finish is just so much better.
    For safety though I would never exceed the recommended fill pressure that is displayed on the cylinder. There is a very good reason why manufacturers state that figure. If it fails and explodes then its the possible loss of your fingers and sight!
    :up: Go here and read this before you decide;
    http://xtxair.com/huma-regs.php

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  5. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You can fit the regulator yourself if you are able to strip and rebuild the rifle. That is the easy part - the rifle is designed to work with air pressure between 200 and 100 bar and the components are are compromise to get acceptable performance over this pressure range. With a regulator you are now feeding the rifle with air at a constant (often 100 bar) pressure and to get the best out of this it is usually necessary to adjust various parts of the rifle. Often hammer springs, valve springs and the transfer port can be tuned to give maximum efficiency and this is the tricky aprt and the reason it costs so much to get a professional to do it. If you have the time, patience and technical ability (plus plenty of air) you can do it yourself but it is likely to take some while and probably best not attempted unless you can afford to have the rifle out of action for a while.
    I'm in the process of modifying my AA S410 classic in .177, I have already fitted a Robert Lane regulator and carried out some work on the hammer/valve. I have more work to do before it is finished (at least I hope I will get to a stage where I consider it's finished) but at the moment it's giving 105 full power shots (from a 210 bar fill) and the velocity variation is within 10 fps. I expect that I will be able to improve both the shoy count and velocity consistency with a bit more time and effort.
    Fitting a regulator, even if you do it yourself, is not cheap and you should have a good reason to go down that route, don't do it unless you intend to keep the rifle for a long while.

6. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Whats the highest fill pressure a brocock contour can handle?
    If the reg fits inside the air resivoir you lose air space which is already at a premium on a contour.

7. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

This is a consideration as the regulator will occupy space that once contained air. The space that is left can be filled to a higher pressure than you would normally use, assuming you only fill to the top end of the sweet spot. This should more than compensate for the lost volume but it should be checked. As a guess my S410 loses about 10% due to the regulator but then gains 25% due to higher fill pressure so a nett gain of some 15%. With a smaller cylinder you could even get a loss of toatl air supply. In addition you can then use the air until it drops to the regulator pressure (nominal 100 bar) which is usually below the bottom end of the sweet spot so there is likely to be a gain there as well. All of these things ought to be considered but the regulator maker should be able to give an idea of what to expect.

8. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

With the reg measuring a precise amount of air, the rifle will be more air efficient even though the reg takes up a very small volume of cylinder. I think it can be filled to 232bar with full power from the off.

You out will get more shots for less air!

9. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Hi,

The regulator is an extra gizmo that sits between the main air reservoir and the firing valve. Its job is to 'regulate' the pressure so that the valve only 'sees' say 100 bar (or whatever pressure the reg is set to). In other words if the pressure in the main reservoir is 190 bar the valve only gets 100 bar. Main air reservoir has 150 bar in it valve still only gets 100 bar etc.. When the main reservoir drops below 100 bar so does the valve pressure so at that point pressure will still drop off as the reg can only decrease pressure not increase it.

What this means is that from a full fill down to reg set pressure (say 100 bar) there will be no power curve as the valve always sees 100 bar and it also means that the valve can be specifically fine tuned only to deal with working at 100 bar. This can result in less wasted air and an increase in shot count. Without a regulator valve setup will always be a compromise as pressure is variable from say 190 bar down to 90 bar. With some rifles this compromise is better than others. My own S410 only varies 15fps over it's complete fill so as such it already has a very flat power curve ... hardly worth fitting a reg unless you specifically want to wring out a few more shots!

Pros:- Properly set up can give increase shot count, Eliminates power curve (may find power curve actually makes naff all difference to point of aim though!) so you don't need to worry about sweet spot etc.

Cons:- Needs careful fitting. Can go wrong (possibly due to lack of careful fitting). Perceived as adding extra levels of complication (although actually mechanics are pretty simple) and your rifle may not really need one.

Many threads on various forums have debated the pros and cons so may be worth a search. My own view is that a properly fitted and set up reg will give improvements. It's up to you whether the cost/time to install and setup is worth it.

Mark