1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice EV2 Barrel - To float or not to float ......

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jps norton, Sep 14, 2014.

1. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

Have any of you guys floated your EV2 barrel?

I would be interested to know if you have and to what result.
    I would be equally interested in reasons for and against doing so.

Thanks in advance :up:

2. metalman

metalman Very Active

A floating barrel is supposed to help with the "harmonics". Have been told, even HW 100 could have a floating barrel

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    not got one, so the answers no i havent (would love one tho !). the only barrel that i would fully float would be one like the ultra or another short barrelled carbine like the scorpion or hw101 - substantial diameter and short. in my opinion, the barrel band is fitted for a reason - protection and stability, so if you remove this, its susceptible to knocks. i understand your reasons for wanting to fully float the barrel, but there are a couple of compromises that you could make if you want to. firstly you could change the o ring in the barrel band that fits round the barrel, for one that compresses less, so is only just in contact with the barrel (this would make it 'semi floating').you may have to experiment with the o ring size to do this. secondly, you could remove the same o ring completely and refit the barrel band. this option may be best, as the barrel will be floating, but the band still offers protection against knocks. imo, any long barrel should be supported, especially if it has an air stripper fitted

4. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I think Cloverleaf did a similar thing to his S400 and fitted an oversized barrel band with no o ring to give a 1mm gap between the band and barrel.

5. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

The ev barrel should take to been floated no probs isnt it around the same dia as the theoben barrels like the air arms 200 at 15 mm dia more than enough stength there to float the added bonus of floating out weighs the bands ect if your barrel is thick enough could never understand why daystate didnt float there barrels it would take away alot of there accuracy probs regarding poi shifting when filling the buddys this been the main reaon why theoben floated there barrels even tne 24 inch ones ;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

Some stuff what I did write on another, similar thread:

IIRC the MPR barrel is the same diameter and length (and arguably even the same unit) as that used on the EV2; so I'd suspect that good results on an MPR to transfer to the EV2. Here's a link to my post in the gallery; which contains a few pics and links to other groups shot with the MPR-alike.

IMO the fact that airgun manufacturers still anchor their barrels at the breech end illustrates just how little they know about their chosen art. IMO barrels fixed in this way are all kinds of wrong for two reasons:

1. The barrel is invariably fixed to something that's likely to move. In most cases this is the air cylinder; which while being significantly stiffer to the barrel, is also subject to far greater internal forces as the pressure inside it changes; causing the tube to lengthen and shorten with variations in pressure. Worse, if the tube wall isn't 100% uniform, its end will deflect radially as well - effectively meaning that the barrel is pointing in different directions at different reservoir pressures.

Potentially worse is the practice of attaching the barrel to the stock - a wooden item that's likely to swell, shrink, warp and deflect with changes in temperature and humidity; as well as possibly moving depending on how the gun is held. In this respect the setup on the HW100 is an absolute lash-up, and my heart sank when I first saw the barrel band setup on the FTP900 - yes, it's a beautiful piece of machining, but attaching the barrel to the stock and hanging all manner of superfluous and needlessly complicated crap off it (2-piece shroud) is going to be a recipe for poor accuracy and zero shift. Surprise, surprise - what's one of the major criticisms that's significantly holed the sales of the good ship FTP? Zero shift.

2. Harmonics. I'm a little dubious of barrel vibration principals being applied to PCP airguns, since the forces involved upon firing are orders of magnitude lower than for firearms and I'm yet to see any proof that PCPs are influenced by barrel vibration. That said IMO there's still an argument for investigating them and minimising their potential to influence the rifle's accuracy. Any secondary (after the breech) point of anchorage on the barrel will affect the way it reacts to vibrations. Most PCPs use an O-ring as an interface between the barrel and support; which at least offers a damped and consistent joint.

Worst of all in this respect IMO is the barrel band setup on Daystate rifles - be they 30yrs old (Huntsman Mk1) or brand new (Huntsman Regal), the barrels are still held inside a band that relies on a sloppy and inconsistent metal to metal fit.. sometimes it rattles, sometimes it's a tight fit.. sometimes the band pulls the barrel to the left, sometimes to the right, depending on how tightly the cylinder end plug has been screwed on. This issue is compounded on newer, shrouded rifles by the inadequate and complex shroud design. The only consistent features of the design are its inconsistency and the fact that it's an absolute bodge :down:

I really don't understand why manufactures still insist on adding cost, complexity and inconsistency into a design when the best solution is to fit a fully floating, decent weight (16mm dia) barrel; and bang a 1/2" thread on the end while they're at it. As much as I dislike BSA products, IMO this is one area they've got absolutely spot on.

Anyway, back to the EV - I'd strongly recommend that you try floating the barrel and run a proper test to find out for yourself - if your experiences are anything like mine, I suspect that you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

7. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

As always cloverleaf a great explination to the situation :up:

8. milek

milek Honorary Member

My EV2 is floated and accuracy is spot on.

9. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

They are sort of floating any ways, but I did my ev2 , stangely it caused a small amount of muzzle flip, very slight flip but got used to using it, pellet on pellet still

10. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I think with ev2's if its shooting ok leave it be but mine is floated and my next one will be too ;)

11. jps norton

Thanks for your input guys :up:

The reason I ask is because this has come my way after a lengthy drive!!

View attachment 103626
    And has come with a floating barrel, unfortunately without the original stripper / anchor mech.

Scoped it today and quickly checked the power.
    Did a 10 shot string through the chrono - 779-782!! Only a 3ft/sec spread :eek:.
    Happy with that, now I just need to zero and range it :cool:

12. XTX

XTX Donator

13. milek

milek Honorary Member

There is an original EV2 muzzle brake/stripper on the bay at the moment if that's what you are after Lee

14. jps norton

Yep ..... It`s in my ebay watch list just in case. Thanks Mick :up:

15. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

Here's a photo that I lifted off the BSA owners forum, 4 shots @ 45 yds from a rather tricked out Ultra with an EV2 barrel etpicyuhttp://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/tillygti6/1dad1f12-7f52-484b-80ff-7e787ed3eaeb.jpg
    oops link doesnt wotk, bare with me

16. mattyts

mattyts Donator

[​IMG]

17. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

Cheers Matty

18. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

I floated my EV mkI, less shift in POI and tighter grouping, I kept my barrel band unmolested for a few months untill I was sure it was beneficial then the band got cut and polished. Also use a UK Neil stripper to measurable gains on the 55 yarders.

19. Awesime

Awesime Air Arms Xti50 Test Pilot

A/ - Yes, on both of my Ostler EV2.

B/ No need to float the barrel if the original AA muzzle weight (it does not strip air lol) slides off and on the Barrel no probs, i.e. does not hit a "bent" barrel.

If you can not slide the unit on and off without hitting one edge of the barrel, the barrel need free floating as it is either bent or more probably not mounted correctly.
    This can lead to POI shift with expansion.

I cured all problems with a working John Ostler Air Stripper and proper set up by Ostler. No one sets up an Ev2 better than John, a true gunsmith.

20. rkr

rkr Keyboard Hero

You could always carbon fiber sleeve the barrel for added stiffness.