1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

English Walnut Oil Preparation

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tony Godfrey, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Tony Godfrey

Tony Godfrey Tone deaf regarding idiocy

Just bought the oil as I have given the HW100S a good strip down and clean mechanically and the metal and I will be doing the stock, instruction seems easy enough to follow but I am sure that someone has a good bit of knowledge and I would rather be taught off someone who would take the time to reply with a process that is a experience gained tip.

Cheers in advance

earthmover likes this.
  2. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Rifle Whore

3. Reevo17

Reevo17 Group therapy

Simple to use buddy - Ade covers it above but in short, wipe acetone over the top to remove top oils and grime

then oil - dip finger in, rub in by hand the oil and rub it as far as it’ll go before redipping. Less is more.

it’ll probably soak it all up in 30 minutes, when it does, reapply

you might get 4 or 5 coats on the first couple of days which will then drop to 2 a day, 1 a day....

go as far as you want with it but 10 oils will be a good benchmark

4. earthmover

earthmover Opinionated, me?

Have just done similar myself with my HW100, following the advice on here. Only on its second coat of oil yet but is looking much better.
    Mark

StellaArtois Sr and Tony Godfrey like this.
  5. Tony Godfrey

Thanks very much guys, as for the acetone I don't have any but if you're sure Reevo17 I will order some and watch the link of Ade.

Cheers

StellaArtois Sr likes this.
  6. Tony Godfrey

Only bought the HW100S on 31/12/20 and I bought my first adult rifle my Rat Catcher 2250XL mid last summer ish prior to owning this, I took the 2250xl out the other morning for a bit of tinkering and went out in the afternoon with the HW100S for some target work and WOW I had forgotten just how amazing it is, still early days yet and just bought a FX chronograph and the higher quality brand pellets to find out which is best suited, I am made up as I have bought the HW100S some treats like bipod, sling, and tip top scope decent carry bag and a pump for emergency what with all the madness atm with the lock down. The information that I have acquired from the forum members is great and I can hold my own conversation wise regarding not just the HW100S but zero scope, service myself and some technical geeks stuff thrown in there and I can knock bottle tops stuck onto a MDF board 1ft x 1ft with silicone consistency wise average 10 out of the 14 mag from 35 -40yrds which may not be the greatest but I am really made up and I wasn't sure of what I would be hitting at first ie vermin, HFT but I am happy with self made material targets for fun and paper targets for serious and betime the local air rifle club reopens I will be able to hold my own grouping wise. True about life begins at 40 as turn 40 last September and I have finally found a hobby that is fun as well as technical and rewarding with a good bunch of people as this forum as is the guy I've spoken to regarding joining rifle club when things sweeten up are top people.
    Thanks guys

Byronic and earthmover like this.
  7. StellaArtois Sr

StellaArtois Sr Rifle Whore

I am glad you are enjoying this Forum Tony.
    It is full of very knowledgeable, friendly, very clever, superb craftsman, very generous and fun people. I am none of them them I am here
    just to make the numbers up.

It doesn't seem that long ago when I was going to oil my ProSport, when asked how I would do it, I said mask the metal work up
    and do from there. Why not just take it out of the stock it's 4 bolts, really it's that's simple I said.
    Then after that and reading about what the fellas on here have been doing, it wasn't long before I bought a HW95 and tuned that
    up. Now I have stripped many many rifles down to finish them off. I call it finish them off as it's not really tuning I do I just tidy
    them all up and finish them to how they should be.

What I have noticed is what ever you want to do, people on here would have done that and only to ready to give advice. To be honest
    it's due to this forum that my hobby of shooting air rifles has no become 3 hobbies as first I shoot them, then I strip them down and
    tinker with them and now in the last year -18 months I am addicted to restoring stocks. With out the help and support of the people
    on here I would be playing a lot more Xbox instead of working on my guns, their knowledge is priceless.
    In fact the whole shooting fraternity seems to be a great place to be a part of. Even joining gun clubs, the love and enthusiasm of
    people showing and sharing their rifles with you and exchanging advise and stories.
    It's great when you meet fellow members of this forum, and again exchange stories, but it's nice to put a face to some bodies name.
    You quite often ask one question and get 40 different answers, but that's the nature of this hobby and people's personal preferences.

As it happens I am just finishing off a HW100 the one I did on the Stock renovation thread, so the final pictures will be added to that
    soon. Then I have a HW Sporter stock to start on , and today I am getting my CS500 stock delivered for my HW77. So plenty more
    wood to work on.
    As it happens I fancy a break from the wood so today I am stripping down my HW77 cleaning it all up before adding a Vortek kit to
    it.

So make yourself comfortable Tony, don't be afraid of asking questions even if you think they are daft. We all had to start somewhere,
    and I am sure we have all asked what we feel are silly questions, and to be honest, I still do.

Have fun, enjoy and stay safe.

Ade :thumb:

Byronic and earthmover like this.
  8. Arron Yeates

Arron Yeates Posting Addict

Just doing a stock as we speak using Alkanet oil followed by engilsh walnut oil now. Just put the first coat of english about 5 minutes ago so looks shiney as its still wet

Attached Files:

Bunyip likes this.
  9. Bradley Worthington

Bradley Worthington Engaging Member

This is my rifle using Old English Walnut Oil.

Attached Files:

10. Bunyip

Bunyip Member of the Edgun cult

Looking really good that mate. :thumb:

Bradley Worthington likes this.
  11. Tony Godfrey

Hi guys long time no speak, hope all are well and cracking on regardless

12. Mike6J

Mike6J Engaging Member

Questions.
    Why Walnut oil?
    Is it made from walnuts?
    If made from walnuts where is it produced?

Behind us we have over 100years of English gun making the envy of the shooting world and every single stocker used linseed oil to finish their stocks.

My own gun, made in 1967 has only ever had its walnut stock and fore end treated with linseed oil, never split, absorbed any water, no dents or raised or broken chequering, just as it was handed to me by the gunsmith. ( not talking about show guns but guns to use).