1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Effects of altitude

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Potshot, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

Hi Everyone,
    Has anyone noticed the effects of altitude on their springer?
    A while ago now,I had to remove some squirrels form a wood about 370m above sea level, and I could notice a difference in the sound and "feel" of the HW80 I was using. There was no apparent shift of zero.(probbably was,I just didn't notice:))
    Does anyone who uses airguns at higher altitudes notice a greater difference?

2. topcat

topcat Post Whore

altitude

one of my shoots is very high altitude my gun runs about 15 fps slower its a pcp

3. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

where is it everest????:rolleyes:

4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Springers will shoot slower at high altitude as the air is thinner, so less air to compress.
    But as i understand it a pcp should shoot faster or stay the same, a PCP stores compressed air at a constant pressure.
    The combination of lower air pressure outside and constant pressure in the reservoir means that a PCP will just get faster as the altitude increases.
    Cool air at high altitude would lower the pressure in the reservoir, but as the air is thinner less resistance on pellet.
    So it should get faster or stay the same. :confused:

5. topcat

topcat Post Whore

altitude

not everest silly billy they run 27 fps slower up there thats why no one shoots there

6. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

yet he does

7. topcat

topcat Post Whore

altitude

very good old boy

8. Potshot

Potshot Engaging Member

HI all, So if I filled my gun to 200bar,then placed it in a total vacuum,the ambient pressure inside the cylinder would decrease. Caused by the tiny amount of movement in the walls due to the lack of atmospheric pressure on the outside.Is this right???