1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Ebay Cheapo Stirrup Pump

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Iamunarmed, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Iamunarmed

Iamunarmed Go ahead, make my day punk

I have just bought a BSA Ultra SE. I will be going to a shooting club that provides free air. So I will make sure I come home with the rifle full. On that point what's the score with leaving a PCP long term is it better to have them pressurised or not?

Also I was thinking of getting a stirrup pump to keep at home. Unfortunately just spent all my dosh on the rifle. I have seen some top quality stirrup pumps new and they are expensive. I wouldn't fancy a second hand one without knowing its history, so my question is can anyone recommend a ebay cheapo Stirrup pump?

2. Scots Bob

Scots Bob Donator

Hi mate I always store my rifles nearly full of air. As for the pump save up and buy a good one like a hills or buy second hand they come up for sale on the forum sometimes.Buy cheap by twice.
    All the best S.B

rellum likes this.
  3. Blister

Blister Engaging Member

nothing wrong with the cheap pumps

4. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

You can leave a pcp full of air, not a problem. I'd go for a Hill's pump if I wanted one, I don't want one. Consider a dive bottle pump.

rellum likes this.
  5. gdsm10airgunner

gdsm10airgunner Donator

Hills pump for sale on the forum not mine I hasten to add
    Good saving on neww

rellum likes this.
  6. rellum

rellum Busy Member

Till they go wrong that is Hill have a dedicated web site with full spares back up for their pumps Either buy a new one or buy a good secondhand one off here or freeads there is always one or two for sale on there don’t even bother with the cheapos waste of money I’ve rebuilt loads and they are nasty that’s why they are cheap

mike-carter and Scots Bob like this.
  7. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

I bought a cheap pump off eBay and it didn't work. All it did was act as a condenser and fill itself up with water each time I tried to use it. To be fair to the seller I did get a full refund but I ended up buying a dive bottle because I'm old, fat, lazy and knackered anyway :oops:.

Nifty77, dancza, johnbaz and 3 others like this.
  8. rellum

rellum Busy Member

No you are not rascal you are just sensible lol My Mrs can fill my FX Cyclone from empty in about 5 minutes with my Hills pump She’s the keep fit type and enjoys the workout I just use my 300 bar bottle lol Add about 10 mins for a cheapo pump and see how hot it gets

rascaltrousers likes this.
  9. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

Have you met me? OK I agree I'm not actually lazy but at 53yrs old, over 7 stone with M.E. and fibromyalgia I stand by "Old, fat and knackered" :D

Sanguinius likes this.
  10. Blister

Blister Engaging Member

i fill my air cylinder to 250 bar using a cheapo pump in about 5 or 6 minutes

11. TouchmymonkeyUK

TouchmymonkeyUK Engaging Member

Over 7 stone ? Are you a fat Pygmy ? :D:D:D:D

12. rellum

rellum Busy Member

I’m 13st 7lbs I think stirrup pumps are a pain in the backside I only keep mine in case I need to refill my Theoben Sirocco Countryman.22 Cheap pumps are cheap for a reason take one apart and see. Ernest Hill have been around for 125 years making pumps inc stirrup pumps for various usages If you want to buy one of those cheapos off the bay fine it will work but eventually get hot and die Buy a good one to start with like a Hill and get full spares back up from the makers direct think a full overhaul kit is 24 quid it should then be good for another 40 years Made from Sheffield Steel and brass not tin and plastic

13. ChrisKz

ChrisKz Post Whore

You could always buy one , use it for a week , then send it back ( if any problems , or too knackered to keep using ) or keep it just for topping up . .. Then you can see if you wish to pay a lot more for a work out .. So nothing really lost

rellum likes this.
  14. johnbaz

johnbaz Keyboard Hero

I bought a cheap Chinese one, Was surprised at the quality! It's all stainless steel and pumps well although I only bought it to get my Fenman back up to speed as I let some air out and overdid it! (Was shooting at 18ft lbs, I let some out and it was then shooting at 8ft lbs! :oops: )

I was going to use my cylinder to the Fenman back up but it occurred to me that the rifle gasram probably only needed a couple of hundred psi instead of a few thousand!! :eek::(

John :)

Jesterdog and rellum like this.
  15. Blister

Blister Engaging Member

they are liquid cooled, i have just filled mine up with water and coolent. it has a thin piston tube for air and you fill the outer tube with water (not to the top). it has a fastening seal to stop water getting into the piston. watch this clip "cheapo" pump

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  16. rellum

rellum Busy Member

Yep nice vid love how it rocks on it’s feet at the beginning because the feet are not strong enough how long does it take before they bend lol If you want a cheap no frills pump buy one of these and you won’t be disappointed or will you?

17. mike-carter

mike-carter Pro Poster

Well said sir, I fully concur. Buy cheap buys trouble.

rellum likes this.
  18. rellum

rellum Busy Member

Wait till you try to continually fill a PCP to over 200 bar with it John and see how long it lasts water cooled or not Ive repaired loads of these stirrup pumps made in China (Without the help of watching a video) The later types coming over are getting better all the time some are made out of stainless steel & water cooled Like you I just use mine for topping up my Theoben “occasionally” Hill are on your doorstep John you should be ashamed of yourself lol

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    johnbaz likes this.
  19. Blister

Blister Engaging Member

£200 for a hills no thank you i do just fine
    pumping 250 bar with my "cheapo" pump

20. Iamunarmed

Iamunarmed Go ahead, make my day punk

I know Hills are the Rolls Royce of pumps, but as we know Rolls Royce's are expensive. Is that justified for something that will be used lightly and is only really going to be a backup? I would say not.

Lets face it most things are manufactured in China and the branded with a makers name anyway. Then each maker charges a different price. We also get the copies coming from China which is something else to worry about. I don't know where Hills manufacture their pumps?

Anyway there must be some other good cheaper makes out there other than Hills more akin to a Volvo than a Rolls Royce but not in the Kia class?

rellum likes this.