1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Early Theoben Sirocco - . awful bang !

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by 177, Jan 29, 2014.

1. 177

177 Donator

OK, before I tear this gun down and get to grips with it, I thought I throw this open to you lot.

I suspect a worn piston seal/crown (thought I'd get that in early).

This gun went to America for a new ram to be made by the wonderful Martin Rutterford at Rapid Air Weapons :up: :up: :up:

It's had a very rough life prior to me rescuing it, but after replacing the breech seal and barrel pivot bolt it settled into a very nice and consistent performer.

I plan on rubbing the Walnut stock down which is as dry as a bone and shows some pleasant, if unspectacular, grain.

Using it at Stuart's range a couple of weeks ago I was giving the spinners hell when all of a sudden the gun gave a shocking bang when I shot it. There was an unmistakeable smell of burning lube and smoke in the barrel. The next shot and maybe twenty or so more were all fine, but it's been preying on my mind so I'm going to tear the gun down, degrease everything and check every last bit.

I suspect the piston seal/crown might have seen better days.

It remains pretty consistent and then, randomly, you get the odd shot that is a good 30 - 40 FPS faster, and then it returns to single figure consistency again before spiking once more.

Could be a little lube creeping forward once in a while and burning...

Anyone encountered this sort of behaviour from a gas ram gun ?

2. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

I shall be interested to hear replies, because I have never had any problems with mine (SLR and Taunus) - seals can be made by a firm in Sheffield, if you send them your old seal they will make you a new PAIR and post them for about £20. I will find out where I have written it down.....if I can find my notebook...:D

3. 177

177 Donator

A pair of new seals sounds cool :)

This is unusual behaviour but not unsurprising given the gun's pretty awful history.

I suspect there's an abundance of lube in there which probably isn't helping.

Just going to source a Schrader adapter for my pump before I tear the gun down.

It's been a while since I had one of these in bits - from memory there's a big o-ring at the back. I'll more than likely replace all the o-rings and reassemble with sparingly applied lube and see where things stand.

Maybe the seal is in good shape - maybe it's over-lubed...

My Fenman went 19 years straight and never missed a beat until I was stupid enough to sell it :(

For all I know it's still (very probably) going strong - what was I thinking :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. paul finlay

paul finlay Banned

Hi , I'm really interested in this , re my thread , my new evo makes a loud bang on firing , sounds like a springer fired dry , no pellet , atb paul

5. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

It could be the seal worn,and every so often oil/grease gets in front of it causing it to diesel and ignite,this would explain the extra fps you get every so often.If it has the sticky tar stuff in it,when it gets hot it tends to melt apparently and could be seeping past the worn seal as it liquifies.Does it only do it after you have been shooting it for a while? if so this could be the reason.
    andy.

6. 177

177 Donator

Just to be clear, mine does this very infrequently.

The 'big bang' has only happened twice so far - both times after a few dozen shots.

Intermittently though, the FPS spikes for one shot and then settles back to boringly consistent.

I've said from the off that I think the piston seal is at fault and lube is getting to where it ought not to be - if I get the time I will tear it down next week and see what I can do with it. My schedule just went nuts though :rolleyes: so it may get shelved for a week or three...

If mine was as loud as hell every shot I'd stop shooting it to prevent terminal damage until I figure out what's going on with it.

At 10 - 11 FPE they shoot beautifully, provided they are mechanically sound and the seals are in good shape.

Usually they will go for years and years. Almost all of the problems I have ever seen with rammers is where some nugget overinflated one. This tends to burn the seal very quickly due to heat (FAC rammers have a different piston seal/crown and, in some cases, an entirely different piston) and when the seal gets burned, power tends to drop. Most people's reaction at this point is to simply (over) inflate the gun again, so you end up with a gun inflated to ridiculous levels, way into FAC territory, that generates far more heat than it ought to, which damages the seal/crown still further, and when power drops again the stock response will be to once more inflate the gun, and on it goes.

So in an ideal world X ram pressure = 11 FPE

Worn seal requires greater than X pressure to = 11 FPE

An even more worn seal requires still more pressure to = 11 FPE

Each subsequent (over) inflation simply exacerbates the problem by generating more heat and the ram has to work harder and harder for a steadily lower return.

Quickest way to kill a gas rum gun IMHO...

Time will tell with this one - truth be told, it's been almost twenty years since I tore one of these down and I can't even remember whether I used the same lubes as a springer, so I'm not touching it until I research it a little and until I get a wide window of opportunity.

This is not a job to rush.

Luckily for me this is not my only gun :rolleyes: ;) :D