1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Dry Firing PCPs re visited

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by rajod, Mar 24, 2014.

1. rajod

rajod Member

I've recently purchased a few PCPs. A daysite and a Brocock.

I've not seen this question answered in sufficient detail as to the why.

We all agree that dry firing a break barrel air rifle can damage the seals due to the tremendous force. I've also seen the seals of these guns.

But PCPs are a bit different.

1. Dry fire with breach closed - I would say yes its ok in most guns. But I do not know for sure without knowing how they work internally.
    2. Dry fire with breach open.

Brocock - they have a warning that doing this will eject the breach seal resulting in loss of power.
    Daysite - no such warning. Have done this with no ill effects.

Some say the breach bolt can fly forward when fired (I have seen two different models of daysites fired and saw no such movement of the bolt. It remained stationary and just heard a pop of the shot fired with air exiting the end of the barrel and also some at the breach end. No damage. gun shoots fine.

People at daysite said it could damage the gun but they failed to explain how. In a daysite video the owner said one could punch a hole in his hand if you fired with the breach open and had a finger in the breach. This makes it sound like the bolt would flow forward. I saw two daysites fired and saw no movement of the bolt. So I wonder if he has actually tried this or understands how it works.

So it seems this simple question has not ever been answered adequately.

Anyone torn a PCP down to see how they work exactly? I don't feel like tearing mine down just yet.

The newest Daysites are going to make this a moot question. They are going to make it impossible to fire the gun with the breach open. This technology will trickle down to the other guns eventually. But the Regal (my gun) won't see it for at least 3 more years.

When I spend over $1,000 on a pcp air rifle I would like to know exactly what can and can't be done with it. I see many people say "I think I can" etc or some people will say "just don't do it" lol that's basically the clueless people that don't have an understanding and like to answer a question with a question.

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Fire it with the breech shut,fine...fire it with a breech open/bolt back and from my limited understanding of PCP internals,this is similar to firing a springer with the barrel open,all the firing mech moves forward because you're releasing the hammer spring,which when moves forward,takes the bolt/probe assembly with it.

Also,making it impossible to fire with a breech open will be a really crap idea..how do we de cock our PCPs?

3. rajod

rajod Member

Its already been done by Daysite. I don't think they thought it was a crap idea.

Well I saw a wolf and a regal daysite fired with the bolt 1/2 way back. No such movement of the bolt was seen and no damage was done. The bolt remained stationary and just air exited the gun. Both guns shoot fine.

I think you assume it will happen but you have not actually tried it. I've seen it done.

4. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Bolt fires forward on the r10 when trigger is pulled in open cocked position, done it a few times by accident, doesn't appear to have caused any problems on my gun.

5. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I think that comment about punching a hole in a hand might have had something to do with the effect of a jet of high pressure air on human flesh?
    My Grandfather managed it when he was a kid, he put his finger over the muzzle of a unloaded airgun & split it wide open when he fired it, that was with a pre WW1 BSA underlever.

6. rajod

rajod Member

Is that the BSA R10? Nice looking gun.

Well it might be if the bolt is all the way back it will shoot the bolt forward. Depending on how strong the spring is for the bolt the speed it shoots forward could be very fast. Also what stops the bolt in this situation? Is it the end of the bolt hits something inside the barrel or the back of the bolt hits the end of the breach? That area would take the impact and would be the area to be damaged.

Maybe when the bolt is cocked but then moved forward a bit as in my case the mechanism that would push it forward does not catch it. This would result in no bolt movement.

Areas of damage are:

1. Breach seal - depends on gun i guess
    2. Area of impact from the forward moving bolt.

It might just cause some extra wear n tear and not really effect the gun.

7. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

I'd have thought it would depend on the layout of the pcp. The HW 100 for instance de-cocks with the side lever in the open position.

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Didn't know you could de cock a pcp.

9. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

HW100 can be de cocked:

Hold cocking lever back, squeeze trigger and slowly move cocking lever forward until closed, that's it de cocked.

This is possible with certain PCP's depending on the mechanisms ;)

10. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Mmm wonder if that can be done on huntsman?

11. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

It's "Daystate" mate not "Daysite"

The Wolf can be fired cocked or un cocked so to speak as it is not a conventional action, it has an electronic solenoid operated firing mechanism, the bolt only serves to cycle the magazine, so as long as the gun is switched on, it can be dry fired continuously ;)

12. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I assume what will happen? the bolt will move?

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Hold the bolt back,pull the trigger and ease the bolt forward,on Ultras,you hold the MMC in.

14. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Dry firing PCPs with the bolt closed will do them no damage.

Most PCPs cock on bolt opening, so when the bolt or sidelever is fully rearward and the trigger is pulled the striker will pull the bolt forward with it once released. This shouldn't damage anything but won't do it much good either and achieves nowt so is best avoided.

Some PCPs cock on closing (HW100, FX Axsor..) these will do nothing if the trigger is pulled when the bolt is fully rearwards as it's under no load since the gun is not yet cocked.

The Daystates you mention where the rearward bolt remains stationary when the trigger is pulled and the rifle fires will be the electronic ones - in this case the bolt's only purpose is to load the pellet (it has no physical connection to the electronically-actuated striker). Again doing this shouldn't do any harm, although it results in air escape from the breech and serves no purpose. IMO not putting some sort of "bolt withdrawn" interlock on the system to prevent firing with the bolt open was an oversight by the manufacturers..

The Brocock rifles will spit out their breech seals if fired with an open bolt - on the one hand it's a bit of a Censored design flaw, on the other you shouldn't be firing it from an open breech anyway..

I think that just about covers it ;)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  15. rajod

rajod Member

I don't think you can decock the huntsman. I have the new Regal XL 30FTlb US model and once you pull that bolt back the only way seems to be firing the gun.

Looks like DayState is starting to put in better safety mechanisms. The new C class Wolverines make it so you can't double load a pellet (like you can in the huntsman) and if the bolt is back it can't be fired.

Is it ok to store the gun with the bolt back? On the Brocock that is the safety, with the bolt forward there is no safty and the gun can be fired with or without a pellet. So not sure the best way to store it.

16. Chippy1988

Chippy1988 Busy Member

I know the s400 can be done the same way

Atb james

17. rajod

rajod Member

Thanks for the great reply Cloverleaf.

I saw my huntsman (non electronic) fired with the breach open (not by me but the range master. (yea he did a boo boo) but the bolt did not move. The only reason I can think of is it was not all the way back. It had been cocked then the bolt moved about 1/2 way back. Not to the point where it was in the barrel hole but half the pin was in the open area of the loading slot. I suppose if it were all the way back it would have shot forward and maybe punched a hole in his finger.

On the Bocock design, how is it different from others? I mean why does its breach seal eject while others don't?

And If I were designing a gun I would assume they would be dry fired and make provisions so it was not possible. Less returns, fewer warranty issues etc. Asking people not to do it is wishful thinking even a veteran with guns did it on mine. If he could then anyone could.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  18. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

No problem :)

That surprises me about the Huntsman. One thing I will say (from my experience of 12ftlb rifles - not used the FAC variant) once drawn back the Huntsman bolt is returned to a partially-forward position by the spring mag indexing lug assy. It may be that this gap between the striker and partially-forward bolt lessened the bolt's forward motion when discharged, although I'd still expect it to move to an extent.

As for the Brocock, I agree totally. While not recommended that the gun is fired with an open bolt, it would make sense to ensure that nothing can go wrong if this does happen. To my knowledge the Brocock range are the only ones that are affected by this; can't say what's different on such guns that allows this to happen, though.

19. Alexdermietzel

Alexdermietzel Keyboard Hero

When I had my scorpion, I accidentally fired it with the bolt open a few times. No damage was done.

20. warrenater

warrenater Donator

my rifles ( ranger and rapid mk2 ) can both be decocked by holding the bolt back pull on trigger and slowly move the bolt forward.