1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Doncaster + Starting shooting

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jabcrosshook, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jabcrosshook

jabcrosshook Member

Hello,
    I was watching an old Jamie Oliver programme the other day and he was with a game keeper, they were talking about natural food and population control, which seems to make a lot of sense to me, and having enjoyed game food for several years now, and even having another hunter that my Dad knows, give me venison. After some thought I think I'd like to give it go.
    I'm Doncaster, near the airport, so if there is anyone from around here who wouldn't mind me coming along at some point and having try it'd be appreciated.
    If I was to start shooting with an air-rifle what would I need in forms of documentation?
    How would I go about getting permission from a land owner?

On that I'll give a little info on me, I'm 18 and like riding my bike, a Yamaha xt 125R, haven't done my full test yet.
    I have 3 guitars, but don't play as much as I hope I would, plus I'm pants.
    I like fishing, piking is my thing, don't kill them as currently I think they are persecuted enough, just good fun to catch them.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Have a trip to Euroguns, probably a mile or so from where you live. They can tell you all you need to know about starting in airguns. They have everything you'll need and as for paperwork, at 18 I believe all that happens is the purchase of your gun is recorded along with your personal details, for security purposes. Euroguns also run an airgun club and have several ranges where you can practice, because until you reach a sufficiently high marksmanship standard you MUST not attempt to shoot live quarry. You are in an area where I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to obtain permissions, but that's all down to knocking on doors and asking....time and time again !!

BTW...forgot to say welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  3. jabcrosshook

jabcrosshook Member

Cheers for that, Just looked them up on the web, they're just around the corner from I fish quite often, surprisingley I never noticed.

4. milo2005

milo2005 Engaging Member

ask for john :D(the old one) he works wednesday's and sunday's tell him i sent you..wink..wink

5. jabcrosshook

jabcrosshook Member

Thanks for the reply, might not be able to get there this week or this weekend as I'm unusally working this weekend.
    How many different types of airgun shooting is there? All I can think of is hunting and range.
    Oooh forgot to add, can anyone arm me (no punn intended) with some information with type of guns to look for, obviously something that'd be good for target shooting and maybe moving onto hunting, but overall not going to break the bank, being 18 and having a bike life is expensive enough.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  6. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Have a serious look at the gun Topcat has for sale !!!

7. jabcrosshook

jabcrosshook Member

Abit far for me, and on the slightly pricey side.

8. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

if you think thats expencive dont go to the shop for a new one:D

paper work wise like buzz said you are in the clear.
    unless the power goes beond 12ftlbs

welcome to the club

9. jabcrosshook

jabcrosshook Member

Apparently the BSA Comet is a good starter good and wouldn't break the bank, anyone got one/used? Your opinion?

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i have the BSA metior and that is absolutly fantastic.
    people will say the same about the BSA super sport too.

the commet is inbetween those two:D

11. jabcrosshook

jabcrosshook Member

Thanks for the answer, looks like im going to be pretty busy this Saturday.
    Shopping for Fathers Day,
    Gun shop,
    and then work.

12. Rambo

Rambo Engaging Member

Is that the part-deaf one?, I don't like the other one.

I live on the outskirts of Doncaster, so where abouts do you live?. I live in Sykehouse if you've ever heard of it.

13. Rambo

Rambo Engaging Member

If you're looking around a new BSA Meteor's + scope pricerange (£200 ish), you may aswell have a look round & seek some good advice on decent guns. The Meteor seems a very good gun, especially for a starter.

Precharged guns don't come anywhere near £200, plus they're not very good for beginners, so £200 will get you a pretty decent springer. In a couple of years, you may want to upgrade to a PCP.

I think instead of Euroguns, it's worth the trip to GunsInternational- Barnsley, because they're a bit cheaper & look after you if your'e thinking of getting one.

Cheers...

14. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Must have changed hands then since last December !! I waited in that shop for 25 minutes without any help at all, there was a group just talking about crossbows. I'd got £1000 in my pocket to spend on a PCP outfit and they knew it.
    Went to Euroguns the day after, tried 5 or 6 guns on their ranges before I finally decided on an AA S410 Classic, which was £52 cheaper than Guns International. I got gun, scope, bottle, silencer, some other accessories and pellets. Just over a grand in total. Guns International could have had the business if they'd have bothered to look after me..Euroguns did, they got the business and still do now. I don't buy from anywhere else for both the air gunning stuff and for our clay shooting requirements too.

15. milo2005

milo2005 Engaging Member

yes mate deaf john :eek: he will kill me now:p

16. Rambo

Rambo Engaging Member

At first, I was going to get my S410 from Euroguns, but they were said to being a bit overpriced, so I had a look in Mooredges Airguns- Moorends. He was doing the S410 about £20 cheaper than Euroguns, as well as just about every scope around £10 cheaper.

Mooredges is a very quaint little shop, it being in a tiny brick building about 8M X 4M long. He was doing some pretty good deals, as well as it being a very good place for advice. Here's his number if anyone wants it:
    01405 741706

But the man I go shooting with reccomended GI, because that's his regular shop & that they'll give me a good deal. Overall, I got my S410 for £617- S410 .22, Hawke Reflex 4-12X50, sling swivels, ( AA Field pellets & bag free). They underestimated me though, thinking I was just a teenage beginner, when I knew what I wanted. :violent4:

I like Euroguns though, because of all it's clothes & stuff. It's about time they got some more pellets- they barely had any a fortnight ago.

Cheers...