1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Dog rescue home inspection , any tips ??

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Alex.B, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Hi all , I know its only been a few months since We lost our lovely JJ but things have not been the same :( The house is empty and lacking something)

We have been to visit some dog rescue centres and when we went to the Staffie rescue at Coningsby I was addopted by a 2 yr old staffi boxer cross called Troy . He's a bit of a lump but very calm and gentle , we took him for a walk and after the burst of excitement (well he is stuck in a kennel most of the day) he walked well on the lead :)

Anyway I do go on :D we have the home inspection on wednesday and I was wondering if there is anything I should know or do ?

Many thanks
    Alex

2. ambriel

ambriel Engaging Member

Just be yourself and act naturally. Make sure the place is tidy and I suppose it might be a good idea if there aren't any guns laying around :)

What they're looking for is an indication that you know how to look after a hound and that there are no obvious risks in the house.

3. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Thanks , I already told them about the air guns no problems there , spent hours going round the garden , got a few gaps in the hedges that i will sort .

4. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

Hi Alex,best of luck adopting troy,I would think it's probably just a formality to make sure you don't live 40 stories up in a high rise and can provide him with a loving secure home.I would just make sure your boundaries are secure as you are doing and be yourself and don't worry :)

5. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Thanks , just didn't know what to expect :up:

6. Jackal

Jackal Posting Addict

Get a letter of 'reference' from your vet...shows you will accept and inderstand dogs can cost more than just food and blankets.

Me and the missus have fostered over 50 from here...http://www.lurcher.org.uk/

7. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

What to do is make sure the house is spotlessly tidy, and when the come in say "excuse the mess"

Only kidding mate, just be yourself and all will be fine!

Well done for throwing a dog a bone/home:)

8. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

As said above. The main issues with visits like this are that your boundaries are secure and that your house/garden is big enough, i:e adopting a Great Dane and you live in a bed sit is a no no. You will be fine. Oh and enjoy the new member of the family, and I will keep my fingers crossed for you both...

9. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Can't offer any advice but fair play for getting a rescue dog - hope it all works out :up:

10. jantar

jantar Donator

They ani't daft and will know if your telling porkies so just be honest! Ask them to have a word with anyone who knows how you were with JJ such as neighbours, friends etc, have some piccies of your family and JJ together. Show them around and where Troy will sleep, eat, excercise etc.
    Don't worry....you will be fine I am sure because all we do is have 'rescues' and we have never had any problem with inspections......
    Best of luck
    Keep us all posted..........

11. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

So how did it go Alex?

12. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Coming in half an hour :eek:

13. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Phew , all good . Very nice (if not a bit strange) chap was happy with the garden and house , he was a bit concerned about where I was gonna walk the dog as the road has no pavements , that was until I showed him what was out the back gate :D

So all good , can start buying toys,beds,harness, collar , lead , bowls ........yikes !

14. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

great news
    we adopted our little staffy jack cross 5 years ago after our gsd passed away
    great companion and what a character :)
    good luck with the new arrival :)

15. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Nice one mate,

well done!

16. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

Great news mate and enjoy your new family troy :up:

17. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Thanks All :up: I still miss my little JJ and Troy will never replace him . Troy is a new chapter in need of a home and some love , Roll on the 20th and the hope that this house comes to life again . I will start a new thread when he arrives ,but heres a pic for now as i had to pull it of the homes website .

View attachment 97621 View attachment 97621

18. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Well done!!!
    Looking forward to seeing the pics.
    Cheers Andy

19. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

he looks a beauty mate,...:up:

20. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

View attachment 98308
    Good luck with the adoption mate, best thing you can do is rescue as there are so many lovely dogs out there, here's our dog Sammy, she's been amazing from about day 6 ha ha. Best advice I can give which I never really agreed with but since the mrs is a vet she convinced me to get insurance, I thought she was a little suckered into the selling of it but being in the job she is she sees so many animals have injuries from normal walks etc that cost hundreds to thousands, when our next door neighbour decided to eradicate every rat in the world by turning his garden blue with blocks of poison real close to our fence Sammy came in the house chewing on a blue block of rat poison (it's not safe for animals as it states) that resulted in a stomach pump etc and even at her own vets a cost of £240 for half hour work, luckily all covered with insurance. Definitely gives ease of mind because if something happened to her that cost thousands I'd pay it, butluckily don't have to know by paying a couple quid a month.

Anyway im im off topic, would love to see some pics when you get Troy, you'll be fine in the interview, they just want to know boundaries are secure, you're not going to take the dog and use it for fighting etc, you don't have any dangers about, all common sense stuff. Good luck!