1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Does It Matter If...

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Rm29, May 17, 2018.

1. Rm29

Rm29 Engaging Member

I use jsb heavys for "everyday shooting"..

Randomly these and bisley magnums give me the best results at about 30-50 metres (which is the length of my garden) .. Is it over kill or should i just use what is best.. Its a PCP.. Ive tried all the exacts and the just dont seem to work.. Superfield are okay, and bisley lrg are horrible... The best seem to be around the 10grain mark..

I cant remember what pellet i set the scope up with but does that matter? Would i need to change the zero for lighter pellets or use hold over?

Or is it the case that some Barrels just don't get on with certain pellets. .

Any info would be good.

Rich

2. Sky

Sky Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Stick to one pellet that suits your rifle best - sod the rest. :D

I use JSB Heavy in my .22 HW100 and Bisley Mags in my .177 R10.

Minging likes this.
  3. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Major Poster

As Trevor said, and also zero for your rifles preferred pellet.

4. robs5230

robs5230 Big Poster

Use whats best. If its heavys so be it.
    Recheck zero if you didn't zero with heavys. Especially if shooting at live quarry.
    Heavys are the pellet I use in one of my Ultras and the S400 in .177. Superb in both.

Download Hawke chairgun and you can plot the trajectory and find the best zero for heavys. With mine its 35 yards.

Though one of my Ultras runs exacts, when the batch I have run out, it will go onto heavys like my others.
    All my springers in .177 run on express

5. carnivore

carnivore Keyboard Hero

Too many questions! Use the pellet that is the most accurate over the greatest range. Most will hit 20 yards with no bother; at 30yds (zero) you should be spot on and your pellet will be low but on the vertical central axis of the target at 40 yards. The rest is learning your holdover beyond 30yds. PCPs generally work most efficiently with heavier pellets and in .177 10.something is usually the heaviest (for practical purposes).

6. snipperuk

snipperuk Donator

As said use what groups best .......
    I was trying some daystate sovereign out tonight in my artemis p15 ..... total crap for me as are jsb exact ... they group ok'ish but high right
    But it loves superdomes , Bisley mags , logun penetrators pellet on pellet virtually
    In an ideal world it would be good to have a non pellet fussy rifle but such is life

7. Rm29

Rm29 Engaging Member

DSC_0112.JPG here is a very cramped card from last night at 50 metres. Barrel was cleaned after each pellet type then 20 pellets run through the barrel, then 10 shots each of above pellets on targets.. Did each pellet 3 times. This shows the grouping of heavies against jsb exact...

8. Regal Man

Regal Man Post Whore

Just stick with one pellet, once your happy with your groups.
    Lighter, and heavy pellets. Will change the zero and aim points.

9. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

If you've found the pellet your gun likes, stick with it. Just make sure your gun is zeroed for the specific pellet and you learn your trajectory curve for hold over and under. I've been pellet testing a lot lately for various reasons. I've found a better pellet for my TX200 after 20 odd years but my other rifles still prefer their traditional diets to the new one. I've found the impact points for different pellets even of the same size and weight can vary significantly.