1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone on here sell NV

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics' started by Meteor62, May 11, 2012.

1. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Have been looking closely at the Nitesite NS50, however the general consensus on here is build your own. Not being very good at that sort of thing is there anyone that regularly builds NV equipment that is as good as the NS50 and if so at what price?

2. kev1065

kev1065 Post Whore

i tried that one lol i was convinced it was easier and cheaper to build your own im nearly done just waiting on parts

3. Choppo

Choppo Engaging Member

Hey Covgun best person to speak to is KENHAWKER as he's the resident NV guru.

4. kev1065

kev1065 Post Whore

it was ken who convinced me to build my own lol

5. lewis850

lewis850 Keyboard Hero

there is a thread here that says if you buy all the stuff he will make it for a price (you will have to pm him)

i think he is convincing people to build there own as he wants them to try it and make something there selves ;)

6. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

mate, seriously, if you want to basic set up, a five year old could do it, a lcd screen, comes with connectors attached, a cctv camera, again leads attached, its simply a case of fabricating a mount for the lcd screen, and another from bits of waste pipe,mastic cartridges,spray can caps etc, and then plugging connectors into each other.

if you build it yourself, you'll not be worried about pulling it apart to make it even better, if you get someone else to do it, you'd be worried about touching it...

http://youtu.be/7Haioaq56wY

http://youtu.be/pMwgZx5eTVA

7. kenhawker

kenhawker Honorary Member

Hello Covgun,
    You could make youre own nv unit that will knock the socks off anything that is on the market at the moment. Depending on how much you want to spend.
    It all comes down to image quality. Cameras use a image chip, the bigger the image chip the clearer the picture will be when used with infrared light.
    The camera`s we use are 1/3" ccd security cameras or a 1/2" watec security camera. A car reversing lcd monitor, a 12volt security camera battery and iether a 12mm, 16mm or a 9-22mm zoom lens. And as you dont do soldering like most of the gents that have built these nightvision units, you will need the connectors which cost pence.
    The parts for a 1/3" camera setup would cost you around £40-£60 depending if you get them from the uk or hong kong.
    The parts for the 1/2" camera setup would cost £130-£150 again depends on where you get them from.
    Both camers need infrared light and there are loads of ways you can make it. You could iether use a ir laser or a halogen lamp with a ir filter etc etc.
    The best thing about building your own unit is not only do you learn something but you can upgrade it and fix things yourself and it wont cost you the earth.
    If you want a list of the parts look on the parts list thred or ask here and I or someone else will post them but you will need to say what camer you want to use. Dont forget anyone can make iether setup and if you get stuck just say.

Atb
    Ken

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

OK You have convinced me that this would be a good project and yes I would love a parts list and any link where to get them from. Thank you very much.

9. kev1065

kev1065 Post Whore

check kens list on nv for the masses......... very good

10. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

OK I think I found all the parts in this thread . Is there a detailed image anywhere on the forum of this setup on a rifle?

11. kenhawker

12. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

13. Yogi GunKanobee

Yogi GunKanobee Engaging Member

I've recently finished my Mk2 NV with the zoom lens and mini recorder, and it's great. Of course, I'm now tempted with the Watec camera. However, they look a bit bulky and weigh 90g. Are they tricky to mount? Do you remove the camera from its case?

14. nobbybonez

nobbybonez Busy Member

they are not at all tricky to mount, you can use 38mm silicone tube which is a perfect fit. they also have mounting threads top and bottom, or you can use a weaver rail and two scope mounts, one around the lens. I use a 16mm 1/3 lens and it works fine.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  15. Yogi GunKanobee

Do you know if I would be able to use my current lens,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270711673320?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

or would I need to buy a different one?

16. nobbybonez

nobbybonez Busy Member

no board lens and cs mount are different. i have a 12mm 1/2 f1.4 lens i can sell you?

17. Yogi GunKanobee

Thank you, but I've ordered the 16mm C mount lens and adaptor! :)

18. nobbybonez

nobbybonez Busy Member

no probs, i'm finding the 16mm fills the screen better than 12 on my setup, may be the same for yours.

19. Yogi GunKanobee

Do you have any pics of your setup?

20. kenhawker

In my defence you can use a 1/3" cs lens on a 1/2" cs watec and you won't be able to tell the difference. Nobbybones uses a 16mm cs 1/3 on a 1/2 watec and doesn't have any issues with his rig what so ever.
    But if you can get a c 1/2 12mm lens and use a c to cs adapter then by all means do so.