1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Dodgy Wood Screw Stud

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Darren 8, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Darren 8

Darren 8 Active Member

Evening all,

Was out on a long shoot tonight, blanked too :facepalm:. Unfortunately noticed one of my wood screws had come lose on the stock. No problem I thought and screwed it back in, it's happened before. This time however it screws back in but goes loose and doesn't lock it, clearly there's been some loosening to the screw hole, maybe a small bit of wood has come out so the screw threads no longer fit in tight.

This leaves me with two options...
    1. Drill a new hole... which I'd rather avoid. The fella I bought it off has made 2 attempts already, and I don't want my stock looking like a farm track.
    2. Superglue the screw in the hole and hope for the best. If it doesn't work I guess I'll have some massive forearms carrying a Superten around everywhere :rolleyes: A strap is so handy when out walking with the gun.
    Anyone else had any similar issues ?

Cheers,

Darren

Attached Files:

2. Mortimer

Mortimer Very Active

Try a thicker screw if you can find one, or epoxy resin rather than Superglue. Or both.

Darren 8 likes this.
  3. JKR

JKR Engaging Member

Never done it to a rifle stock but have tried a few methods in the past on other woodwork that have worked ok,

1) threaded inserts. Drill out current home, fit insert and away you go. May struggle to find an insert with a standard sling stud thread so most likely have to buy a machine thread stud as well.

2) use a decent high strength wood filler. Make sure it's one that states it can be re-drilled once set and when ready re-insert sling stud.

All the best,

James.

Tim_B likes this.
  4. carpetguy

carpetguy Active Member

I repaired my daughter’s guitar strap hole with a couple of match sticks and put locktite in the hole before inserting the screw.
    I don’t know if the locktite helps but it seems pretty solid and hasn’t worked loose

5. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

That looks to be a candidate for drilling out, fitting a plug cut from under the butt pad, glue it and drill it as you would from new. You may get enough material to cover that nasty chip as well.

6. shergar

shergar Keyboard Hero

Wood takes glue very well, the glue being stronger than the wood. Plug cutters are readily available in various sizes allowing plug to be cut across grain to match grain in stock. Use spade drill to drill hole size of plug, glue in plug correctly orientating grain, sand down to match existing, then drill and screw as if original wood. A screw into a pilot hole is stronger than a screw without one. In the first case whole perimeter of thread is gripped. Without pilot hole wood tends to split gripping just two sides of screw.
    Furniture in UK uses beech. Beech is tenacious. An old chair leg will be a good source for plugs.

Darren 8, telbert and Popgun like this.
  7. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Keyboard Hero

I''d agree with this. It's how I secured a Picatinny rail, to the fore-end of my XT 501, and it's held really well.

8. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

I never thought of using old beech furniture, thanks! Just goes to prove you're never too old to learn. I've done similar repairs twice and always taken wood from under the pad.

9. chuggypop

chuggypop Marmite - I'm undecided.

Is the correct answer.

10. robs5230

robs5230 Oversprung

I have a Superten with sling studs.

I know for a fact, that there's little meat at the forend where that stud has been attached.
    Before I did anything, I'd remove the stock to see how far that stud is going through the stock and make sure its not catching anything.

I'd also redrill for the stud, slightly further forward, using an appropriate drill.

Darren 8 likes this.
  11. 1260engineer

1260engineer Precision matters

fill the hole with wood glue ... spray with silicone or wax the screw .. screw the screw into the hole and leave it to dry . then screw the screw out then refit the part :)

Darren 8 likes this.
  12. squib

squib Keyboard Hero

except it will be end grain...

shergar likes this.
  13. chuggypop

chuggypop Marmite - I'm undecided.

So long as the plug is the right size, I doubt that anyone will ever notice.

14. 1260engineer

1260engineer Precision matters

Sorry took a while only just got into me workshop . you can get these as well and use a proper screw
    20200705_115750_copy_1612x784.jpg
    20200705_115754_copy_1612x784.jpg
    drill and press in the ones on the right expaned as the screw goes in :thumb: the first one on the left just drill and press in with some glue

shergar likes this.
  15. Pietro Beretta

Pietro Beretta Keyboard Hero

If it were me, I'd install a threaded insert, then use a swivel eye with a machine screw thread.
    Swivel-Studs-PACK-OF-2.jpg

16. Mortimer

Mortimer Very Active

^^^^Where do you get them from, @1269engineer ?

17. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Pffft , Pop , Twang , Bang

Perhaps Drill through , countersink the inside , use a stud with a machine thread & nut inside ?