1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Do I need a FAC?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by David1871, Jun 30, 2014.

1. David1871

David1871 Newbie

My apologies if this has been asked before - I am new to this site and know next to nothing about airguns.

A few years ago I inherited a Weihrauch HW77K .22 air rifle from my mother. I have no idea whether or not she held an FAC, but she used to use the air rifle for target shooting at home. I put the gun away in my loft with a load of other keepsakes, and forgot about it until recently.

I have just retrieved the air rifle from my loft, and was looking to buy some pellets and paper targets for some home target practice, when I found on the internet a lot of rules about the power of an air rifle that you are allowed in the UK without an FAC.

Is there any easy way to tell if the air rifle is permitted without a licence? I have no idea of the power, there is no manual or documents with the gun.

If I can't tell by the gun itself, is there someway that I can find out whether it is legal without a FAC?

If it turns out I need an FAC, am I likely to be in trouble for holding the gun for a while without one?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies again if this has been asked many times before.

David.

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Hi David,

The HW77 as sold in the UK was not designed to need an FAC. It should (note the "should"!) develop under 12 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. If this is the case, all well and good - shoot away to your heart's content. Just read this first to stay legal:http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/...-their-answers

If not, then your rifle will have to be de-tuned to below this power threshold, which is easily done with the help of some basic tools and a chronoscope. Most gun shops will have a chronoscope, as will air rifle clubs and also members on here. If you do a forum search for "chronograph help" you'll see a list of members with chrono's who are willing to help - there may be one in your area.

Hope this is of use to you,

JR

3. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Yes there is a legal limit. The 77 is unlikely to exceed this limit so no licence required. BUT you must get the gun checked out. Take it to your nearest gunshop where they will check it for you for only a couple of pounds.
    If the gun is over then the shop will be obliged to keep it and bring it down to the legal limit at your expense.
    Yes you are liable for owning a gun exceeding the limit. Get it checked out.
    Nice gun by the way!

Beat me to it Jack!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  4. tisme

tisme Donator

Your not to far away from me here in tunbridge wells if you want bring it down and we can test it foc. If it's over you can leave it with us as we are an RFD. We can sort it for you at a cost for the parts, might even have a std spring here foc.

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

And that's the spirit of this forum, right there. Much respect, Tisme.

6. surrey shooter

surrey shooter Donator

Hi david,

My mate has a chrono im sure I can borrow it and check for you.

Pm if you like, happy to help. I have pellets and targets too.

Atb
    Len.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  7. surrey shooter

surrey shooter Donator

Just to add great offer by tisme and not trying to step on toes, just an alternative option if op is closer to me.

8. David1871

David1871 Newbie

Thanks for the quick responses - I really appreciate the help. JR and Dunks, that sounds like good advice, thanks for that. As for the offers from tisme and surrey shooter, that's incredibly kind of you to offer your time and services. If I was closer to either of you I would gladly take you up on your offer.

There's a gun shop not far from me as it turns out, I'll give them a call and ask them to check it over.

Thanks again to you all.

David

9. tisme

tisme Donator

Ouch size 12s as well :D
    Good luck David I expect its under 12ft lb but best to check.

10. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

As said take it to a shop and get it tested, be safe

Why do I always feel we are being probed/tested/measured when a new members first post starts like.... I have a gun which I think is an FAC but I have no FAC......or am I getting a little paranoid/cynical/untrusting in my old age - I may need to change my job!!!

No offense intended David

11. David1871

David1871 Newbie

Thanks for the help. The gun shop tested it and it's 10.6 lbs, so ok to use. It needs the safety mending though, so I'm glad I took it in.

I think you're being cynical adymorris. I imagine there's plenty of people like me who just don't know where to turn, and a forum stuffed full of helpful people that know what they are talking about seems a great place to start with a question. In my case, I've found the whole experience extremely useful, and I would recommend to anyone in a similar position to start with this forum.

Thanks again everyone for all your advice and offers of help.

David

12. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

What a nice reply. Good on you. KB1:claping:

13. adymorris

adymorris Keyboard Hero

I probably am David but I feel it's for the right reasons, there are an awful lot of lowlife slimy spineless anti's and media VVanker types that post very similar stuff on shooting forums in order to get a headline, If i'm being a little suspicious of similar posts from new members well I guess i'm a cynic.

I do hope you have a great time with your airgun and make sure you come back and post some piccies - feel free to join in the conversations we are a friendly bunch once you get to know us :) :up:

14. techno

techno Busy Member

I always suspicious when a new poster knows the lingo 'FAC'...I'm sure the op is genuine ,but I know what you mean