1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Do cocked Springers lose power?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Nicksi, May 3, 2008.

1. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

Had some odd misses on rabbits lately, the only pattern I can discern is that the gun has been cocked for a considerable time. The other day for example I'd staked out a warren, waited 20 minutes, rabbit pops out at far end (40 yards) so I spent another 10 minutes crawling on my belly to 25yds for a dead cert shot. So the rifle has been cocked for half an hour. I know it shot low cos I heard the thud as it hit the ground before the bunny. It's zero'd for 25yds, my safe shooting range.

Same again last night at 15yds after a lengthy wait, I'm sure I'd adjusted ok to compensate for the short range, simply couldn't believe I'd missed such a sitter:(:(

Am I just looking for excuses for another bad shot or do they lose power:confused::confused::confused:. It's a Lightning XL in .22

2. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

it loses a little bit of power after being cocked for two weeks.

in one hunting sesion the spring wont be wekend
    even if you go all day and never fire a shot;)

3. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

I am no expert on springers i Know its not good to leave them cocked for long periods but half hour should be ok,how old is the spring :confused:

4. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

For the length of time you had it cocked it shouldn't cause the power to drop i've had springers cocked for longer with no problem. Are you sure your zero is ok the recoil could be knocking it off slightly. Also are you shooting consistently with the same grip if your not that could cause you to miss.

5. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

Cheers bud, that's what I was hoping - just me being a ***p shot as usual then:(:p:(

6. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

spring guns dont always shoot at the same velocity everytime when they are cocked for diferent perionds of time but were talking a difference of around 0.something flbs either way so no real diff:up:

7. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Here's some info already on the forums from a previous thread.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the effect on a mainspring if airgun is left cocked for an extended period.

Preparation: Airgun was disassembled, thoroughly degreased, examined, lightly lubed with a mixture of Silicone oil & moly, then reassembled.

Procedure: After reassembly, airgun was fired 10 times to eliminate any excess lubricant which would contribute to dieseling.

Muzzle velocity recorded at each period in time was the average of 5 shots.

VO = prior to test;
    V1 = gun left cocked for 1 week, 24 hrs per day (168 hrs);
    V2 = gun left cocked for 2 weeks, 24 hrs/day (336 hrs);
    V4= left cocked for 4 weeks (672 hrs);
    V12 = left cocked for 12 weeks (2,016 hrs) and
    V24 = 24 weeks (4,032 hrs).

At each period, gun uncocked and left uncocked for 72 hrs to allow the spring to regain as much as possible of its original power (memory effect).

The gun was cocked and uncocked a number of times to get the cylinder walls lubed and then 2 shots fired over a chrono.
    The average of these 2 shots were taken.

All pellets have been sized and weighed then batched according to weight. All pellets used in this test were of uniform size and weight. All airguns were .177 cal and all velocity readings are in feet per second.

---------- V0-- V1- V2- V4- V12 V24 % Vel Decrease
    HW30----- 655 648 630 592 521 481 26.6
    HW50----- 705 682 678 640 565 513 27.2
    HW35----- 715 698 689 652 576 533 25.5
    R1-------- 975 965 944 891 789 739 24.2
    Vulcan3--- 818 808 785 739 640 599 26.8
    Webley
    Hawk----- 655 638 630 589 519 476 27.3
    BSA Merc- 695 679 668 630 552 511 26.5
    FWB124---795 774 770 728 645 596 25.0

There were 2 spring failures (breakage) suffered by the Webley Hawk on weeks 4 and 12. None other suffered the same fate. I attribute spring failure to the absence of a spring guide in this make and model.

While the percentage reduction in m. velocities varied, reduction was generally around 25% of original m. velocity taken prior to commencement of test.

It should be noted that these percentage decreases are theoretically optimistic as the air gunner would more likely experience reductions in velocity greater than the statistics shown here. Dieseling, weight & size (diameter.) of pellets used, improper lubrication, temperature, conditions of usage etc. can all have an adverse impact on the life and power of a mainspring.

This test does show that leaving a spring airgun cocked, no matter for how long, will adversely affect the life and power of any mainspring.

Custom springs will be more resistant to decrease in power but the process will still occur over a longer period of time. I do not suggest that you change the ways you hunt but I point out, as Tom Gaylord has done very well, that be prepared to pay the price of higher maintenance.

8. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

well no arguing with that:D

9. Buzz

Buzz Banned

You just beat me to similar information Andy, but mine is in experience of using springs in engineering for over 40 years. If you were to measure a new spring, compress it to coil binding, (which most air guns almost do), then release it and measure it, I can guarantee that it will be shorter than it's original length. The longer you have it compressed the shorter it will be. Leave it to rest for only a matter of minutes and it will be back to it's original length to within thousands of an inch.
    Constant use or constant compression will eventually render a spring near to useless.

10. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

Thanks for all the info guys, most helpful:up:

11. arrows180

arrows180 Posting Addict

Get a gasram.. end of problem. :)

12. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I have to admit that the problem will diminish, but it certainly isn't the end of the problem. Gas rams eventually leak. They are more likely to leak when they have the much higher pressure in them caused by cocking. Now if you were to have a gas ram that could be topped-up every 6 months or so from a divers bottle or pump, that would be better. Gas rams are also a lot more expensive to replace than a spring when they do die.

13. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Get a Theoben gasram gun, problem solved. :D

14. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

I've finally saved enough for a PCP!!! The XL will be used for fun (plinking) thereafter.

So it's down to Scorpion T10 or AA S410. Hopefully next weekend, can't wait.

15. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Get the S410 in .177;):up:...a1 will be talkin daft in abit:D

16. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Yey gooo for the 410 :up:

17. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I think we should tie A1 to a tree, walk 50 yards away, then shoot at him with a .177, then a .22 and ask him which one he'd rather get shot with again !!!:D:D:D

18. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

you'll have to catch me first:finger::loser::hole::handjob::laugh:

19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

both are good but the S410 is better.

good guess by andy, i advise .22:D

seriously get .22;)

you can join the .22 social group on my profile then:D

20. Buzz

Buzz Banned

You might outrun one of your slow .22's but you'll not outrun my .177 :D