1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

DIY NV. What Ah draw you got ?

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by 32:1, Mar 23, 2014.

1. 32:1

32:1 Yea, I like it

Hi guys

My first nv build is great apart from a power problem Ive found now Im in the feild so to speak !

My first batt pack of 2300mAh lasted around 15/20mins, then I fitted a new pack of 2600mAh thinking the first pack was evilbay trash, this new pack delivered 25/30 mins ???

On checking the draw of my build I have a steady 0.4Ah so by my math, had a few hours from either pack.

Whats the expected draw from an E700 and screen ? Thats all Im running, so is 0.4 high, low or average, Ive also ordered a battery from livewire.

Cheers

Chris

2. Chippy1988

Chippy1988 Busy Member

I couldn't tell you mate but my blue battery is supposed to be 9800mah and I run a board cam with 5" screen. I have yet to run it flat while out. I am usually out for about 3 hours at a time, I go out twice and then charge at the most.

hth

James

3. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Your current draw is about right. I suggest you fully charge your batteries and then let them stand for an hour or so then check the voltage without a load, plug in your equipment and check the voltage (on the spare connector) with it under load. Let it run flat checking how long it lasts and then check the voltage again. Some of the packs may have protection circuits which cut out too soon which could cause the problem.
    Repeat with the other pack, if you're not getting somewhere near what you should in runtime then contact the person you bought them from and complain. If you don't get a satisfactory response then take it up with ebay/paypal etc but do it asap.
    I wouldn't expect to get all the capacity from a battery pack but you should get half which would be 3 hours or so on the smaller one and a half hour more with the larger.
    I don't know which batteries you have but most of them should be turned on when charging as the switch isolates both connectors, quite a few people have reported dud batteries only to find that they haven't actually been charging them at all! There are usually no instructions with them and the lights on the charger don't really tell you what's going on.

4. 32:1

32:1 Yea, I like it

Not used the blue ones, first batts where marked GTL and second VP racing....

So 0.4Ah sounds OK

Ive since tested the GTL 2300 batt and with a 0.5Ah draw they lasted just 12mins ?

5. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Having not been too impressed with my blue battery which packed up after a few months ive gone for 3 x Panasonic 18650's and a 'series' case for them. have a look at these bay numbers 181311071822 and 281199951833, ive charged them fully and am currently seeing how long they will run the nv with continious use.

atb Paul

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Unfortunately the capacity claims for nearly every battery on ebay/amazon etc are grossly overestimated, if you expect about half of what they claim you'll probably be in the ball park. I tend to buy only from UK suppliers now and if anything were to fall short of claimed capacity by much I would be looking for a full refund or would refer to Trading Standards. So far I've been reasonably satisfied.
    You can easily make up your own packs using rechargeable cells such as AA, 18650, 14500 etc, the battery holders are readily available but you should remove them and charge the cells individually to be on the safe side.
    I have suggested using a cordless drill as the host for a hand held spotter and these could be charged using the ordinary drill charger, NiCads are more forgiving than the Lithium types. It is also possible to use an electronis voltage regulator so you could, for example, use 4x18650 cells (nominal 14.8 volts) and use that to provide a regulated 12 volts for camera and monitor. You may also find that the equipment will work quite well at lower voltages so that is worth checking if you do decide to make up your own pack.

7. Tubs

Tubs Active Member

8. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Well so far my 3 x Panasonic 18650's 3400mah have been running my screen and camera for over 7hrs, that will do for me.

9. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

After reluctantly buying an alleged 1800ma cased, switched Li-on pack...... and discovering it was as I expected... a pile of pooh! I went back to what I originally planned and bought a pair of these RC Model flight packs. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271408285675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    I have a quite sophosticated charger and am able to measure charged and discharged capaities. These packs are reliably charging 2100-2200ma every time!

My current draw is low, about 250ma so I happily get 8 hours if I want! You will need to do some soldering, and be aware that these packs.... although as safe as any other lipo, and well made by a well known manufacturer in RC circles, are very energy dense! And poor charging and shorts etc. will get you in trouble. Having said all that, some of the poor offerings on Ebay are undoubtably much more dangerous as their manufacturing standards are so bad!

The claims for capacity for some of these packs are truly incredible.... or should that be incredulous? These unknown, untraceable origin packs are making claims that the bleeding edge big battery companies can't hope to achieve in anything like the near future! I've got a better chance of winning the lottery than achieving their claims!

10. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Update - over 12hrs run time.

11. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

Small update, and not wishing to hijack the thread.....

I disassembled the pack yesterday, and lo and behold... it contained 3 "Old" 18650's with some crappy wiring and soldering. The cells still had remnants of the old connecting tags left on them, and the brand stickers were manky and scraped in places! I looked up the brand and they were Laptop battery suppliers, so these were reclaimed from dead or old packs! They had possibly been Panasonic cells, but were certainly only rated at 1350ma on the Brand's own website!
    Despite trashing any warranty, I've written and sent photos to the vendor on the basis that the packs cannot be described as "Brand new", I doubt I'll get far but we shall see?

12. stoogey

stoogey Engaging Member

side info to thicken the plot...

the capacity is whats in in, but if your drawing 400mah at the end of the capacity its drawig a higher and higher percntage of what its got, ot to word it from a different angle that 400mah is 300..200..untill the devise just fails.

but....it depends what regulating systems in the device, pure analog burn off regs you get the dwindling effect, anything pulse width modulated or some cuson of it you get a low power draw at hi volts and a hi power at low voltage (near the dead end of the charge)..its worked in wat's ish..12v in to a 4volt out, the 'ideal' 8 volt drop is converted to amps for want of a metofore, so its draws less amps and uses extra unused volts to sort of make up the amps current, so a 0.4 amp draw would probly tale 150mah at the beging untill the volts lower at the cell enough to make use more amps because the volts are too low (like steppping up takes ,ore than the device would draw, steppimg down taking less amps).
    dont forget a lot of this stuff is rworked on the 'ideal' figures, the word 'ideal' in this case means on paper and things like 'we dont know yet so equate it to zero maths' untill ou get some figures that add up, in real life theres heat loss and efficiency losses etc to add to it theat enable you to get co,poinent values that will work to some where near what you want...ish.

now to thw point, o.4amp draw om 2600mah batteries, the 'ideal math' sais 2.6 divided by 0.4 = 6 hours(rounded), from that i'd say any thing over 4 hours easy.(because of losses and the dwindling capacity thing).

regaurding your ir light power suply, best keep it seperate, as a lot of torch drivers are pwm, they generate stray signal like a transmitter that picks up on the screen as floating line or noise etc etc...its bleeds over stuff in other parts the system./ fluctuates stuff that really dont want it

the dimmers are the worste,m but best for showing where that floaty line is comeimng from, as you dim up and down the lines tune up and down, sometimes nearly stopping still at the same dim point lol.
    second on this list is the draw on the battery 'sags' the more you draw on that battery pack the larger the sag, so adding an amp driver to the screen and cam can lag the voltage way to low and fail the whole system.(particularly as you go brighter and brightest), if you adjust the regs to acount to the lag at hi on the ir illuminator, it may well pop or overload the screen/cam if you dim the light because the lag loss isnt there as much making the volts go up, so current flows much ore easily, in light bulb terms, you have three in the on state, you turn two off and the third blows instantly type of thing.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  13. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

The above is a good point. Stated capacity (assuming they are being honest about it and not lieing through their teeth!) will be at one particular current.... often a low one! That's where the best figures are devived from.

From my model flying days, it was well known that you could not expect to see the stated capacity delivered in your usage.... as your usage for flight motors was often way further up the current scale. So, if a pack was rated at 2000ma...... becauyse tyou were drawing maybe 10 amps rather than the 1 amp it had been tested for capcity at... you would probably only see about 1500ma out of that pack at best.

As electric flight became more popular, and sales better, more appropriate packs were offered and most pilots would indeed see the sateted capcity delivered in their usage situation.
    Top line packs now will deliver 50c continuous, that is 50 times their capacity in current, and up to 100c burst i.e. for a short period of a few seconds.