1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Diy nv hepl pleeeeease

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Dels510, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Dels510

Dels510 Active Member

Good morning wise men of NV
    I will appologise first because this question has been done to death i'm sure but i have been reading the previous threads and the more i read the more confused on the parts to order i get ie screen,camera,battery etc
    So can you help please.My budget for the parts is £200ish,can go higher if quality will improve.
    I am hoping to use a bullet style camera as i have a nice adaptor design in my head to screw into the lense cap threads on the scope.
    Finally am i right in thinking that one of the members on this site builds/sells ir torches,if so could someone point me to him.
    Thanks in advance
    Del

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

There is a huge amount of choice in components but the electronics are simple plug together items and can normally be upgraded later if you need to although it's best to get parts which will do everything you want. If you can post details of what you want from the nv unit it will be easier to suggest suitable options.
    You will then have a choice of buying from UK suppliers or the Far East (which will probably be cheaper but take 3-4 weeks to arrive). Items such as batteries may not get through international customs and are best sourced from the UK.
    Some scopes do have threaded eyepieces which will take photographic filter adapters and can be a good way of fixing your camera but don't rule out using various tubes or a proper day scope adapter or even an engineered system built onto a weaver rail or similar. It's worth thinking about how you are going to mount your illuminator when you're considering how to fix your camera.
    There's been quite a few threads covering fitting everything together and it's worth looking at them to get ideas, you can get a lot of useful parts from the plumbing section at B&Q and possibly the electrical section as well.
    I do modify torches for night vision use and so does 'some bloke', if you're interested send me a pm and I can let you have some details.

3. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Bear in mind obtaining Li-ION batteries from abroad now is virtually impossible due to the aircraft restrictions on carrying them and buying them within the UK is becoming increasingly difficult!

Only last week I had a parcel with some batteries being sent to another member seemingly diverted to Belfast for destruction, RM will neither confirm or deny this of course so I am left wondering. :rolleyes:

4. Alex.mc

Alex.mc Busy Member

According to royal mail, Lion batteries can be sent "In equipment" plus two spares!

I didn't realise until now that the Royal mail discovered the secret of magically making one battery safer to transport than another...... but plainly they have! Some transformation in the very molecular make-up of them must happen when you plug them in "equipment"

As for air transport.... they want to stop putting highly volatile fuel in their aircraft! It's dangerous stuff!

All this legislation smells of "Knee jerk" I suffered the same thing with my composite materials shipping from Germany a few years back after the lorry caught fire in the Chunnel! It's calmed down a bit now though.

5. Dels510

Dels510 Active Member

Thanks for the replies :up:
    A few more details as requested terry,it will be used on a 12 ftlb rifle shooting rabbits and rats.I expect to be shooting at no more than 40yds.
    Uk suppliers would be best as i want to get building.

6. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

I would use a E700 camera £70 its a box one so sorry it is available as a bullet camera £95 but is more money fits in a Plumbing fitting and can be adapted to fit some screw thread Scopes if you can get teh adaptor from a camera shop (mine a sidewinder is threaded butt its a non std size so i sue a Pulsar DSA £30 )

a T20 850nm IR from one of the UK builders £45-£60 ish runs on 18650 battery so you need a couple and charger (most builders will sell these to if needed)

then a screen cant say as i dont use one but a few avalible here and not to much.

Battery blue ones are avalible in UK I also use Li po 11.1v units from RC race cars and Airsoft tho you need to be careful as no protection circuitry
    or you could use 3x 18650 which are 3.7v and get 11.1v

a few connectors and power cables etc and a mount for the Screen

7. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

How does 11.1v run a 12v system, interested as looking for batteries myself.

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

One of the good UK suppliers is Sure24 and they have developed a section of their website dealing with nv equipment and parts http://www.sure24.co.uk/nv-forum-2. They sell the E700 (board camera) and also the ej230 bullet camera which is electronically the same but in a different body, these are about £70 and £95 respectively. They also have some of the other parts you will/may need. These cameras are very well regarded in the nv community and are probably as good as you can get without spending silly money.
    There's plenty of choice in monitors, I've recently been using these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290804759940?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    For batteries I advise a uk supplier, I can't offer any specific suggestions but search on ebay for 12 volt rechargeable battery from UK only and you should find a selection. Alternatively you could build your own using separate cells.
    You will need a 2 way power splitter and probably a bnc to phono adapter to connect the camera to the monitor.
    If you can use a soldering iron you can sort out and neaten the wiring quite simply.
    Sure24 can supply the E700 with a 16mm lns fitted and no ir filter if you ask them, I'm not certain about the ej230 but it would be worth asking them, they are very helpful.

9. Tech-Hunter

Tech-Hunter Well-Known Member

As above the E700 or EJ230 are the best for performance Vs cost and is what I'm putting in my add on build

10. genisis22

genisis22 Engaging Member

Hi , most cctv cams that we use have a volts of 12 but will accept +- 10% so at 12, - 10% = 10.8v this can vary up or down,a bit so all is well and dont forget the recharged batts go to 4.1 ish volts so 3x will give 12.3v as a start point

11. Dels510

Dels510 Active Member

A huge thanks guys,i now have the info i needed.*tips hat to all*
    Will be ordering some parts by the end of the week :up:

12. audiguypaul

audiguypaul Donator

Thanks bud, gonna give the 3x18650's a go

13. steve54

steve54 Donator

OR- If have not ordered your bits yet,- and a bullet camera is not essential,- and you don't want the wait and hassle; Then i have my DIY setup for sale at the moment.
    Steve.

14. Dels510

Dels510 Active Member

Hi Steve
    Thanks mate but some parts are ordered (screen and ir) and on monday the E700 with various leads etc will be ordered.
    Quite looking forward to building it tbh :up:

15. Tech-Hunter

Tech-Hunter Well-Known Member

There is a nite-tek E700 housing on Sure24 about £55 fits into a challenger DSA add on which Uttings have for £25ish I think!
    Not cheap I know but thought I'd suggest that combo.
    Good luck with your build, the E700 is "The Dogs Dangley's" ;)

16. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

Sure24 now sell the DSA but i think the Nite tek adaptors are waiting for step up collars

BUT a £1 plumbing fitting does the job perfectly as a housing to fit the DSA as a second Fitting a joiner to shut out outside light
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5077

put the £53 saved into a Nite tek T20 IR unit

I used a bit to tape to get it to fit the DSA as the step collar needed was the one to fit my scope

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  17. Dels510

Dels510 Active Member

Good morning
    Just a huge thanks to those in this thread that so generously gave the advise i needed.
    I now have night vision and last night it took its first wabbits.I have to say it is a much much better image and range of veiw than i expected,it was so clear that whilst setting up i was able to use above 20x mag and see individual blades of grass crystal clear.
    My set up is as follows for any one interested in building one

E700 camera,nite tek housing for camera,(both from sure24) a 5" high def screen from the bay and a 40mm compresion waste pipe fitting .The ir is from a t20 torch.
    All in it has come to around £180 but it is all from the uk and i paid for super fast delivery so if you were prepared to wait it could easily be done for less than £150.I'm using a 3 cell 11.1v lipo battery to power it bcause i had a couple already.Just got to tidy the wiring now i know it works.
    View attachment 93533

18. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Nice set up fella, Enjoy! :up: Your camera choice was spot on!

I find my 600TVL £32 camera absolutely spot on for my needs but would like to invest in an ej230 one day soon!