1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

DIY garden shed?

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by Captain Dangerous, May 1, 2012.

1. Captain Dangerous

Captain Dangerous Active Member

Hi, I'm after a shed for my garden... ideally 10ft by 10ft. Used as a bit of a work area / storage.

Initially I thought about buying a metal one, but was put of with bad reviews of them being prone to condensation inside, and they are like ovens in the summer...so not ideal.

I then thought about a wooden one. I had a look at some shed suppliers in my local area and they were way overpriced for what I was after, ££££!. I had a look at some garden shed websites, and they are a lot cheaper, but most get terrible reviews of being cheap flimsy crap.

So now I am toying with the idea of getting a good plan of a 10' x 10' wooden shed and buying the timber to build it myself.

So.....does anyone have any idea where I can find shed plans on the internet? I've been looking online but haven't found any yet. :confuzed:

cheers

2. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

To be honest mate, Its a box with felt on the roof, Only thing you've got to worry about is windows and make sure it's put together with stable walls and a stable base.
    Oh and a door!

3. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

also deciding what tomake it out of, whether you want it featheredge or certain thickness planks.

4. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

You'd be surprised how much the timber will cost you to build it to be honest mate,its really not as cheap as you think,I bet you won't be far off the price of a ready made one,and then you have to factor in your time to build it on top,have a look through the local classifieds and see if there are any going in there.

5. Captain Dangerous

Yeh...I haven't priced up the wood at the the timber yard yet. I might get a shock. The guy I saw at the local shed building place quoted something like £1200-1400 for a 10x10. I thought that was a bit steep for a wooden shed. I had a look at a demo one he had in the yard and it wasnt particularly sturdy looking.

Maybe I should just keep my eye out for a good deal. Surely building materials for a 10x10 shed isn't over a grand though?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

It won't be anywhere near that mate, to be honest I wasn't expecting you to say you'd been qouted that much at all,you probably won't be shy of £400 for the materials though.

7. trig

trig Engaging Member

Could you get a cheap shed the size you want, and then do a bit of diy strengthening.
    My Dad used some cheap 2nd hand unistrut (think thats the name of it, the stuff electricians use in industry/factories etc for hanging cables on) he put a frame around the inside, it squared the shed up and gave plenty of points for hanging/fixing shelves and stuff too.

Mind you when we moved it one time it took four blokes to move a 6x4 shed lol

8. Captain Dangerous

:laugh: 6x4 on the outside....3x2 on the inside. :D

9. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

We made one at work you can do it yourself. We googled shed plans you can find good ones on there. We used a pent roof decided that was easer to make. Baught framing wood of eBay can get good deals on reclaimed wood on there. Same with ply also door and windows double glazed of course. We built a big shed 20 by 10 for £400.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. Captain Dangerous

:eek: Thats a bargin! Any idea what website you found the plans on?

11. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

Just google pent roof shed plans they even had joint plans you could print off full size cannot for the life remember what sight try http://www.4-shedplans.com/plans/shed_plan.pdf we used a few sites and just adapted to what we wanted we built ours on a wood platform on top of membrane.

12. weebster

weebster Busy Member

It's a simple job and you'll end up with something far better than any of the matchstick flimsy sheds sold at the big diy places.
    For decent windows and doors have a look at your local recycling tip,I got a brand new still wrapped in plastic dg window with glass fitted (build in) complete with decent locks within the frames itself for £10,the door was £90 from a reclaim yard complete with frame,the 2 smaller window frames I made myself and fitted with double glazed units.
    The outside and inside the shed framework was clad with 15mm osb board,outside was then over clad with feather edge board.
    18mm board for the roof,solid screed floor.
    The roof was wickes own stick on felt,1 underlayer with stone cap sheet,it has'nt leaked at all and remains stuck through 2 bad winters.
    roofing bits are wickes easy seal underlay/cap sheet and easy seal primer
    http://search.wickes.co.uk/search#ts=ajax&method=and&w=roof felt&isort=score
    some pics...........
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo503.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo504.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo505.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo506.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo507.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo508.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo509.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo510.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo511.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo512.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo513.jpg
    http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af220/weebster6419/shed/Photo514.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  13. eyebrows

eyebrows Well-Known Member

I would advise you to get the biggest you can afford. We went for a log cabin from Norway, real solid 1 inch interlocking timbers with a shingle roof. It will last for years, we could easily sleep in ours :)

14. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

if you have a farming supply store near to then get your timber there, i use our local one its called mole vally farmers.

ive just built a shed out of 3x2 framework 18mm ext ply for the roof and floor ,(cheated with this though, i gave some beer to the driver at the landfill site and thats all it cost me) i used 6"featheredge fencing boards for the sides, 3 lengths of shiplap to make the door, and a roll of felt for the roof.

14x 3x2 11ft 10 long £39.90
    45 x 6" f/e boards £45
    3 x shiplap 11ft.10 14.60
    felt £18

£118 (excluding roof and floor)
    the roof and floor would have been an extra £60 if i had used 18mm osb board

but even so an 8x6 very sturdy shed for less than £200

i once built an 8x8x8ft shed out of 11mm osb only i think it cost me £140 at the time but it dosent look nice though which lets it down.
    cheers simon

15. Captain Dangerous

Thanks for the replies guys. Nice job you did there weebster. Definitely thinking about having a go myself now. :)

16. Uriel

Uriel Engaging Member

In a similar vein, my mate has made himself a greenhouse out of PVC plumbing (for the frame) and clingfilm. It's held down by tent pegs!

17. weebster

weebster Busy Member

That is cheap,I have a similar supplier near to me that supplies mostly farms etc but they ain't cheap :eek:

18. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

i do the bins at travis perkins and asked him for a quote on the same timber sizes, i was shocked when he said the 3x2 was nearly £8 a length.

bear in mins though that this is rough sawn unplaned tanalised timber, as for the fence slats theres no one down this way that can do them cheaper, plus they are only 4 miles from me so its no hardship to collect on the car roof rack(although it did sag a bit under the weight).

19. Captain Dangerous

ok...seeing as i fall into the rookie categroy ...with no 'special friends' :p in local timber merchants....what would u guestsimate a 10 x 10 ft shed would cost me?

I dont want to end up with a dilapidated shack like something out of a john Wayne western.:nana:

20. simon180399

simon180399 Post Whore

right now thats a toughie,

cladding wise if you go the featheredge road your going to need to pencil in your height of the shed

8ft high at its highest point and 6ft 6 high at its lowest (allowing for angled run off) you are talking 40 5.10" boards per side (includes a few extra for mistakes etc)so that starts you at £160 on cladding boards

the skeleton frame i would do 4 sections each one 10 ft x 8ft for the highest and 10 ft x 6ft 6 for the lowest point so thats 8 3x2 per side or 32 total then you need the floor joists and the roof bearers theres another 8 so thats 40 3x2 at 11'10"

then you need sheet for the floor , you really want 18mm to curb any flexibility or bending, you would need 3 8x4 boards cut accordingly to nfit the floor joists, noggins would be a good idea to firm it up a bit (noggins - small lengths of 3x2 screwed along the floor joist gaps)

as for the roof thats up to you , you could use onduline (bitumin corrugated) or that double skinned plastic used on conservatories (bloody expensive) or good old 11mm osb and felt.

for the door you can use shiplap my door is 30" x 6ft it cost me £18 in shiplap and 2x1.

so total wise
    3x2 = £120 at £3 per length
    f/e cladding £160
    floor osb £60
    roof osb £45 mark or the polycarb sheet £120 finally onduline £60ish
    door £20
    felt £20 (if needed)

total £425 or there abouts if you use shiplap to clad it, then you can expect to double the £160 to at least £300 but it does look better.

please bear in mind these are rough figures at the prices i paid but it gives you a rough idea, ive looked around these large sheds that are simalarly priced and they are crap, they use 4" feather edge which will break when you push on it, they use 1x2 or 2x2 if you are really lucky for the frame and as for the roof and floor its cheapo 9mm osb or chipboard that turns to weetabix as soon as moisture makes contact.

you can increase the number of roof/floor bearers it depends what you are using as a sheet material, ive allowed a joist every 24" although its supposed to be every 16.

im no builder either but i do enjoy knocking things up out of timber.
    hth
    simon

Last edited: May 2, 2012