1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Disvovery Scopes Ed Or Hd

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Figgy, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Rather than hijack anothers thread I'll post this one.
    Looking for advice, I was set on a Vortex FFP tactical in 6-24x 50 but some reviews are not great and seeing the glass compared to the viper and razor didn't float my boat.

Looking at the Discovery range after reading some of you have them. My main question is which is the better scope out Iof the two, i like a good magnification and want a dial scope.
    The ED 6-24x50 with 30mm tube and it's Japanese fcd Hoya100 glass or the HD 5-30x56 with a 34mm tube more light gathering. Is the 30 mag a true 30 mag or is it say 25 mag and after that it's useless ? Will the 34mm tube and 56mm lens make up for not having ED glass?

I have emailed discovery UK to ask if anywhere in North east stocks them to look at.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

2. Jukebox

Jukebox Better to burn out...than to fade away.

The HD Disco scope I looked through is really eye fussy and whites out easily.
    My little ffp disco on my Kozak is a fantastic scope though :thumb:

3. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

I've not seen a bad review on the vortex scopes, so interested to see where these are now coming from and anything i should look out for. I think comparing glass to the razor you're going to struggle to match it unless similar money.

I had a HS FFP discovery scope and have to say, for the money the glass is very good and you get a lot....,but it didn't compare to the tactical. If the ret had been a bit less fussy I probably would have kept it. I did look through a ED scope when I was at Sureshot, but can't honestly remember in comparison to the vortex. Discovery is good glass though.

If it were me I'd go with the 6-24x50 30mm, but would suggest you look through both - and then compare to the razor and tactical - or are you defintely off the tactical?

Thanks
    Tim B

4. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

No not definitely off the Vortex Diamond back, a forum member also said he bought one didn't think it was any better than his hawkes that he likes and sold it. Some reviews saying the turrets are mushy and don't stop on the zero the line is out to the clicks. This you can see on youtube along with chromatic aberration of blue around the edges.
    With it being £70 more and you pay for the best glass we can get, I'm comparing scopes. I want mil mil too. Non of this mixed Ret to turrets.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  5. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Cheers jukebox I can't stand tight fussy eye boxes. I currently use a mambalite with the original SCB Ret so it oy has five and half mildots then solid black stadia with one hash at ten mils.
    The eye box isn't too bad though. The cheapo Hawke vantage I bought I'm not a fan of the eye box. Ret is fine though.
    Don't fancy spending thick end of £500.00 on a scope then have to buy mounts and scope caps shades etc if I don't need too.

Jukebox likes this.
  6. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Depends what hawked he was comparing to I guess and yes, the turrets/clicks etc sound like a Dioscuri scope

I have three and all three are spot on. The glass - to my eyes - is excellent and absolutely distortion I can see. Comparing to my Airmax the pic is simply crisper - if that’s possible, but in fairness you do have to look for a while and have side by side
    Comparisons to see it.

Now....if I had my time again I would save money and not buy a scope over £200 - for sub 12 air rifles on normal use there isn’t any need in my view (very subjective). But you only live once and all three of the tacticals were discounted (at different times) :D

If you’re moving from a mamba lite - my ex favourite and go to scopes - then even an Airmax is going to seem crisp and clear (again by my eyes)

Good luck in your search and will
    Be interesting to see where you settle

Jukebox and TR158 like this.
  7. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I've had the Vortex Diamondback and it's a great scope for the cash, I was not into the FFP, so sold it on in new condition, but the image was very good and the glass clear. When you start talking about aberration in scope, it's there in every scope, but the more you spend the less you get, so you have to compare it to scopes of a similar value - and I have at least 4 or 5 in this magnification and it was as good if not better than any of them - Hawke/Aztec/Nikko etc......

I've never used a Discovery, so can't really say on them, but I would stay away from 34mm bodies on a scope in this price range unless you want to spend the thick part of £80 on decent mounts for it?

ED glass is better than HD glass as it's the way they measure how pure - or transparent, the glass is. More mag will not make up for lower quality glass, it just magnifies the poorer picture. Be careful not to get too dragged into this or you will feel you need to drop £2k on a scope that is clear - we only shoot to typically 50/60m in air guns - you just don't need the clarity a high quality scope can give at 1000m, but if you can afford it and fancy it...……………. :D As for true magnification - they will all vary a bit scope to scope, but not by what your talking about, ultimately, it's the sight picture your looking at, try to forget the numbers on the mag dial when assessing picture quality as it's just a number.

Ultimate advise: Get your grubby paws on them and have a look through them - only you can truly say what you like and find good/bad/acceptable :cool:

Jukebox likes this.
  8. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Thanks lads great advice, trouble is getting my hands on them to look at.
    The vortex and the discovery ed are both same specs both lifetime warranty, so long as companies are still going to honour it. The discovery comes with everything and the ed glass.
    Watched some more reviews online and Cyclops Joe has reviewed both makes of scopes. In his picks of what to buy at certain price points it the vortex diamondback tac ffp he recommended. Not once did he mention the discovery scopes. Yet other shooters live them as well built and top glass.
    Harder to pick a scope than I thought it would be.

9. Jukebox

@Figgy theres no competition mate between a Disco scope and a Vortex scope.
    From what I have seen then the Vortex slaps the Disco about in every way.
    The Vortex scopes are better than the ed Disco and I have an ED Hawke Sidewinder and they are as good, if not better than that that in honesty.
    My mate has 2 Falcon scopes and dont discount these..the glass is good and they wind up really well in high mag :thumb:

Tim_B likes this.
  10. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Jukebox I've been looking and can't find a local dealer that stock Discovery scopes.
    One stocks vortex.
    Optics trade Europe have the Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24 ffp for £407.16 with free delivery for black Friday. Seems a good deal.

11. Jukebox

Where you based mate?

12. Jonkem

Jonkem Very Active

I was just going to ask that!

Find someone local who has a discovery or 2 to look through. I've no complaints with mine and won't ever consider spending more on anything else because the difference isn't worth the money.

Jukebox likes this.
  13. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

I'm in Stockton on tees, north east England.
    Not seen any discovery scopes but then I don't look to much unless they have huge shades and parallax wheels.
    Can get both for near same money so cost isn't a factor. Warranty in a few years if needed maybe.

14. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

I have an HD Discovery. It is very good, the white out was happening on the 50mm objective scopes. They have increased the objective lens size.

The ED glass is by Hoya of Japan, that is really clear glass. The HD glass is still very good though.

15. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Secretagentmole, there the same price. The ED scope only thing I seen against was elevation range not as good as it should be.

16. Jukebox

If you do the NEC shooting show in February then Sureshot were there last year along with optics warehouse so you could try and compare if they are there this year?

Tim_B likes this.
  17. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

Looking at the Vortex Diamondback ffp ,6-24x50 and same in discovery. The turrets are listed as 19mil max on the Vortex and 20 mils on the Discovery. Am I right in thinking if this was zeroed in the middle you only get 10 mils of elevation?
    So to get more would mean adjustable mounts or shimming the rings.

18. Jukebox

You wouldnt zero in the middle though?
    Youd zero to give you maximum elevation as theres no need to dial down as youd be zeroing at about 20-30yds...unless your using FAC and want to zero further out?

19. Figgy

Figgy Big Poster

With high mounts at around 37mm high on the impact I was thinking of getting the FX zero adjustable mounts. I zero at 29 yards and if I want to dial out to 100 yards I need around 13 mils. If I zero scope in 5 mils into the upper range it should give enough to dial in.
    Think I'm going to buy the Vortex diamondback 6-24x50 from optics trade as with the Black Friday weekend deal free postage and up sfree flipcope caps all for £407.16 delivered to the door seems to good to pass up. The warranty seems very good and plenty have sung it's praises for the price.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019