1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Distance and impact

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by S400duke, Jun 14, 2014.

1. S400duke

S400duke Active Member

Hi lads I have a s400 ultra lite carbine and bin useing the air ams diablos at 16grams
    But on close range for shooting squirrels and rats what pellets would be best weight wise as I've read even useing diffrent pellets makes could help I was just useing them as my rifles a air arms so keeping to the same make
    So any advice on diffrent pellets weight for shooting rats and rabbits and squirrels at close and at distance would be great cheers lads

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

For me the best pellet is the most accurate one, regardless of weight or type:) I use jsb exact express which are bang on the money in my barrel:)

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    for close range (up to 15 yards or so), I would consider rws hobbies. they are a flat head, so maximum shock/impact. for greater distance, I would go for rws superdomes. remember tho, when hunting live quarry , your first priority is accuracy . you want the pellet to go where you aim for, every time. so based on that, the best pellet is the most accurate one. at 15 yards or so, there will be no, or v little, difference in pellets, but over that, you will see which is best

4. jay5488

jay5488 Donator

When ratting I never shoot past 20yds, I tried out many pellets hollow points, domes and flatheads I found (and this is only my opinion) that RWS hobby's hit really well and suited my shooting. But I will not shoot beyond 20 yds as accuracy is not as good as I would like. I use these simply because I believe they are well suited to the job in hand, any when after the Corvids I use JSB exacts to great effect up to around 55yds as that is my talent "wall"
    I think pellet preference is a very personal choice and there is no right or wrong choice and to reiterate Stevies comments the best pellet is the most accurate!!!

I very tempted to try out the H&N Barracuda as these have been getting some good reviews up to about 40yds which is the range I'm most comfortable with!!!!

5. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Duke - if you are asking these questions you should not be shooting at live quarry yet. You have no idea how accurate your rifle is if you are asking which pellets are best. The amswer to that question NOBODY can give you, simply because they are not in possession of YOUR rifle. Every individual barrel has its own preference, sometimes that means the same pellet as your mate, most times it doesn't.

Your first task is to find out which pellet gives you a regular group where all the shots overlap at 30 yards. Yes, you can do this from a rest as it is the rifle and pellet combination that you are testing at this stage, not your marksmanship skills. Also, be aware that the pressure you fill your rifle to WILL AFFECT THE POINT OF IMPACT. Each rifle, in addition to having a preference for ammo, will have what is known as a "sweet spot", a higher and lower pressure level at which it works best between. If your rifle is marked for 200bar, it will probably work best at 180bar down to 110bar. At 185bar you will LOSE POWER because the hammer has to overcome greater pressure. Once that pressure drops to about 180bar the hammer and valve will give better power (because the hammer can leave the valve open for longer) and that will remain the case until the pressure drops to a point where the power just drops off due to lack of air - time to fill up again. In your rifle that is going to be around 70 shots in .22.

You can ask which would be the best pellets to shortlist for testing. That is not quite the same thing as which is the best for my rifle and use. Funnily enough I reckon you have picked one of the better pellets anyway - are you aware they come in different sizes? Have you tried different head sizes to see if one works better than another? And when I say different sizes I don't mean .177 or .22 because .177 is available in THREE different sizes and .22 is available in TWO different sizes for modern rifles and the old British .22 which is bigger! The actual size of the pellet in your calibre can make a huge difference to how well it shoots through YOUR individual barrel. That can only be found by trial and error at your end I'm afraid, simply because you are the only one with access to YOUR rifle.
    AA Field 16gn (which head size are you using? 5.52 or 5.53)
    Defiant 14gn in L or M head size (you need to try both) - brilliant pellets much maligned. Try L first
    Accupell (14.3gn)
    JSB Exact (the same as AA Field)
    Falcon Accuracy Plus - lighter pellets, very accurate in those rifles that like them. Also distributed by Air Arms.

RWS are OK, but only if they happen to fit your barrel - NONE ofmy rifles like them, other than Super Hpoint in the Air Ranger. The rest of the RWS range are hopeless in my rifles, yet other people swear by them. This just goes to illustrate why you cannot go by what others say works in their AA s400/410 - you can use it as a guide as what to try only.

6. S400duke

S400duke Active Member

Want to comment on the last post accuspell that made a very intresting read and I've learnt from what you have said I know to a point what my rifle is caple of and the accurcey it is as I'm getting into the shooting at live quarry more I'm. Wanting to know of the diffrent types of pellet what best for better impact on killing the live quarry if this means finding out on diffrent weights and sizes like you have said what I dident know this is a learning curve that way but on shooting riffle bin doing it for years but not got into it as much as I am now that's why the question was asked and il take on board what uve said thanks
    And thanks to the other post to greatly appreciated

7. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Duke - that makes more sense now you have explained the question in more detail.

If your rifle likes one of them, then Verminpell, Barracuda Hunter extreme, RWS Super H Point, H&N Hollow point, Bisley Superfield are all worth trying, but to be honest, soft lead roundheads will do as much damage as a flat head or hollowpoint and will be more accurate with it.

If you keep changing pellets you have to keep learning new aim points. If you use the same rifle and pellet all the time your aim points will become second nature - those soft lead AA Fields are very effective on everything you have mentioned and are a very good pellet for long range shooting too as they remain stable for long distances because they are efficient through the air, more efficient than a hollow or flat head pellet would be.

If you really need a stopper for rats and other close range work, then find one of the quality flats or hoolows that suits your barrel - listed above. I look forward to reading some of your hunting trip reports. :up:

8. S400duke

S400duke Active Member

Cheers for the reply again I've orderd some tester packs so will find out what's suited to my rifle and my self more at both ranges of shooting live quarry and il look forward to posting up some of my shoots [​IMG]
    These are what I've orderd thanks for your help on this one bin a learning exsperience

9. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

They should keep the neighbours awake for a few weeks!

10. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Don't bother with the wasps I can guarantee they will be poo!

11. anchovie

anchovie Banned

you could try falcan accurracy plus they're light-ish in weight for a .22 but are a pretty decent pellet and the main thing to remember when shooting at anything with a pulse is you can't beat shot placement , accurracy is everything

12. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I wouldn't disagree with anything else in your post other than the above which may be true for most PCP shooters but is perhaps unrealistic for the majority of springer owners. I shoot with a TX200HC and can pretty much guarantee that I can now put 5 pellets into a 1" circle at 35yds and perhaps on a good day do the same at 45yds when shooting from a bench rest. With that pellet and rifle combination I can certainly shoot squirrels and magpies at 15 to 25yds and would not wish to put off other springer owners from doing the same merely because all pellets do not overlap and meet the standard that PCP owners might achieve.
    Other than that a very good post and I do appreciate you are responding to a PCP owners question.
    Dag

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014