1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

different pellets/different fireing cycle noise

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by martin22, Aug 20, 2014.

1. martin22

martin22 Donator

over the years ive come to appreciate how important it is to do you homework on choosing the right pellet for your rifle considering accuracy and that can only be achieved by testing as many different brands and grains as possible untill you find one that suits your barrell
    one thing i have noticed though (were talking springers here) is that between brands there can be a considerable difference in fireing cycle noise,ive allways put this down to different grains but recently i tested 2 brands that were practically the same grain but there was a considerable difference in cycle noise
    now all the springers ive owned have been tuned in some way or another so not sure if this is similar with standard springers?
    all the pellets i use are domehead (occasionally use flat head in close quarters like barns) but anybody else notice this?
    anybody notice this with pcp?
    whats peoples opinions or "scientific" :rolleyes: analysis on this?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

Softness of the lead and how the skirts puff up with the blast of air are probly the reason.

3. martin22

martin22 Donator

good point,taking that into consideration ive just looked at 2 pellets that there was a considerable difference with
    jsb jumbo express 14.35gn,quite a soft pellet,quite loud fireing cycle
    h&n ftt 14.66gn,quite a hard pellet, a lot quiter fireing cycle
    not best picture but on the left is the h&n ftt and on the right jsb jumbo express
    View attachment 102038

both pellets are very accurate in my rifle,the skirt on the h&n is a bit shorter and a lot harder than the jsb but overall the pellets are roughly the same length,and as said above there roughly the same grain,i know its nothing scientific but just from what im seeing here its looking like a shorter/harder skirt seems to dull the cycle noise better,its something im going to look at a bit closer and test a few more though :up:

4. martin22

martin22 Donator

another thing ive just noticed (again h&n left,jsb right) the skirt is thicker on the h&n and its recessed all the way into the head,sort of goes into a point,the jsb is only recessed to the shoulders of the skirt and is flat,wonder if this has anything to do with it?
    View attachment 102041 View attachment 102042 View attachment 102044

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. martin22

martin22 Donator

Any one else any thoughts/theories on this?

6. jw74

jw74 Posting Addict

No theories on why,but I've noticed the difference in pellet types sounding a lot different. Some smoother and quieter.

7. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

lots of reasons why, weight is one thing, pellet fit another and also the hardness(or softness ) of the lead alloy compound.
    A very light or loose pellet will take off down the barrel early in the cycle allowing the piston to slam against the end of the comp tube, very harsh. A tight or heavy pellet will be late moving causing the piston to bounce on a cushion of air, horrible recoil!
    It is possible to fine tune a springer to suit the pellet you use by balancing preload, piston weight and transfer port dimensions.

8. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I found when shooting a spring gun some pellets give a nicer firing cycle with less recoil but when I mentioned it on here a year ago I was heckled as a buffoon so shut up on the matter, glad to see someone else backing up my findings

9. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

When i had my TX200, I found that the lighter Falcon Acc+ produced less recoil, but a little more noise from the action. Whereas, a 16 grain AA Flield would produce more recoil, and a slightly quieter thud from the action.

There is some science to it, you're not alone :)

10. martin22

martin22 Donator

cheers for the replys fella's, there is definatly a difference between pellets and the ones ive mentioned above the difference is quite astonishing in mine,
    its got me thinking as just lately tuning is something ive been doing a lot of reading up on and talking to people about,my eyes have been opened up a lot as to whats involved in tuning a spring rifle,simply "dropping a kit in" is far from a tuned rifle,something that doesnt ever seem to get mentioned though is pellet choice and in reality it seems it can play a big part in achieving a super smooth fireing cycle and make or break a tuned rifle,
    just out of curiosity anybody noticed a difference with pcp's?