1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Dieseling/dry firing springers (For beginers)

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by David, Jun 23, 2007.

1. David

David Engaging Member

Hi all
    This snippet of information is for those who are new to air rifles, for those who are experienced I invite you to add your own experiences views or corrections as you see fit

We will start with the term 'dieseling' and putting this in simple terms isnt going to be easy, A diesel engine is an oil burner, diesel fuel is an oil, add a lot lot of pressure in an enclosed enviroment and you have explosive results, now a diesel engine is capable of withstanding this kind of punishment but an air rifle will suffer serious damage if it is subjected to dieseling over a period of time.
    Dieseling happens naturally in new air rifles especially in spring powerd rifles and will disappear after a few hundred shots, over oil a springer and I guarantee you will diesel causing damage to the seals hence costing you a repair.
    You should only use gun grade oils if and only if you have to strip your gun down anything else will diesel.

Notes on dry firing..............DONT!!!!

One way to really foul-up the insides of your gun (springers especially) is to fire your air rifle without a pellet loaded in the breach. Beleive me when I say this it makes my spine itch when I hear an air rifle go off like a cannon especially when i am sat next to them at the shooting club.

Happy trails

David

2. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

Oil should never be used on the internals of a gun.
    Only good quality grease.
    And a gun will not diesel being over greased.
    It will only diesel if any gets in front of the piston seal. :D

3. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

true mate;)

4. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I went to a place in Reading where they told me not to grease at all ...

I know that's not right.

5. RAPIDROGERS

RAPIDROGERS Member

i reckon it was a 3 1/4 inch sponge :D

6. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

7. David

David Engaging Member

Hi Paperbag Writer how are you

I dont know who spoke to you but any metal-to-metal contact needs some lubrication, I can only surmise that they dont want the gun to diesel or that they have never had reason to grease a gun in the first place

David