1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Did I Pay Well Over The Odds For A Poor Scope?

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Gazawee, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Gazawee

Gazawee Well-Known Member

I'm a newbie that had a few questions and an issue with my very first rifle that I bought online a few days ago.

Decided to go in to a local shop to guidance and to have the rifle and pump looked at.

The chap was reasonably helpful but gave a vibe that he wouldn't have been that impressed if I didn't buy anything. So I asked what would be the best upgrade to make and he suggested a scope. I took one look through it and it seemed brighter and clearer than the one already on my rifle (but what do I know)..and then said yes ill buy it (totally out of guilt).

When I left I wanted to satisfy myself that I hadn't paid well over the odds but I cant sem to find anyone online selling it. It only says RIFLESCOPE on the box so I assume its some cheap chinese unbranded jobby. Having looked around at reviews I'm starting to feel pretty rubbish about the purchase as I see lots of reviews and recommendations for scopes and they are always branded.

I've attached a picture of the box and would love to know I've not totally been ripped off or that the scope isn't total junk.

Spec of the scope is 3-9 x 50 AO

Please let me know :)

Attached Files:

2. Canon Fodder

Canon Fodder Well-Known Member

Depends what you paid for it, it's not a top brand but if it's clear when you look through it and it holds zero then there isn't a problem.

Pete2 and Wilco like this.
  3. Gazawee

Starting to feel a little better...

I unboxed the scope and it seems to be branded 'Snowpeak'

Managed to find at least 1 retailer online seling for £59.99 which means I only paid a tenner over.

Anyway would still love to hear from you experts if this is a lame scope and if at £69.95 I got ripped off?

4. Gazawee

Silly me I forgot to say. I paid £69.95

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Depends on what's in the box really - if it's a generic Chinese effort £70's a fair wedge tbh (try looking on ebay for similar models).

Personally had I been in your position regarding the attitude of the shopkeeper, I'd have been out of there like a shot..

6. Missed_Again

Missed_Again Busy Member

https://hardairmagazine.com/news/snowpeak-airguns-biggest-airgun-manufacturer-youve-never-heard/

Snowpeak are basically a massive manufacturer in China that is mostly rebranded for export, which is why most people haven't heard of them.

I bet the quality of that scope is no worse than most around that price point. You've probably paid over the odds slightly purely from buying from a shop, but the guy has to earn a living so that's just accepted.

You can get the lower end Hawke's for that sort of money, but lets face it, it's all made in the far East anyway, it just depends on the QC of the company it's made by.

I'd simply enjoy it for what it is and upgrade when you're ready to.

BenBhoy, Gazawee, lee71 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Don't beat yourself up, you basically got some help from the guy and it effectively cost you the price of a tin of pellets more than you could have got it on the net - no bad thing if the guy did help you out?

Any new hobby can be a minefield for the newbie, take advise from on here and go slow, don't be afraid to ask questions in advance, and make sure it's right for you or walk away. A lot will depend how serious you get, or how deep your pockets are, but you will probably upgrade several times, its part of the hobby, and we all like "something better" :thumb:

James

steve9956, Wilco, scoots and 4 others like this.
  8. Byronic

Byronic Good thing we are all different, eh?

I had a couple of these a few years back from Ebay.

As others gave said, you paid a little more for having bought it at a local shop - the guy needs to make a living after all.
    And you got some other advice thrown in.

Advice on here is free - though sometimes contradictory!

Join a local club if you can.

What was your previous scope?
    What kind of shooting are you using it for?

The scopes I had were perfectly adequate, certainly for short range daylight plinking - likely to be fine for whatever most newbies need.

There is a lot of snobbery - or "social climbing " - in scopes and shooting in general.

If your back garden is 10 yards long and you only shoot in daylight then this scope is all you need.

No doubt for longer ranges or more challenging conditions there will be much better, more expensive scopes.

But what do YOU need?

Wilco and David M like this.
  9. Gazawee

Thanks for this :)

Yeah I prefer to support independent businesses and don't mind paying up to 10% over do it.

Wilco, ven, Ste.v.a and 1 other person like this.
  10. Gazawee

Wise words,

The chap did 'reluctantly' look over my kit although (as in my experience) like many of the shops Ive been to recently, the staff start off quite grumpy and stand off-ish. A sort of 'like it or lump it sort of attitude'. But he softened up when I was honest about my inexperience and was polite about asking for help.

Anchutz, jesim1 and Byronic like this.
  11. Gazawee

Scope that came with the rifle is a Gamo 3-9x40
    Garden is 30 yards long
    Will be shooting from 15-30 yards in daylight
    Would soon like to take out the rats when I get accurate..most likely in low light conditions.

Byronic likes this.
  12. Peter Mulhearn

Peter Mulhearn Engaging Member

13. Lukeypoodle

Lukeypoodle Posting Addict

I've had a few of those 'riflescope' Branded scopes, they're actually not bad.

Wilco and Byronic like this.
  14. Patrick

Patrick Donator

This is purely a personal opinion and others may beg to differ but i think £70 for an unbranded scope of that spec is a little high.
    Having said that any scope in that price range branded or unbranded will be made in China so will probably be of a similar spec/quality.
    In fact possibly made in the same factory as the same factory or factories make scopes for various brand names.
    The reason your dealer possibly sells them instead of a branded scope of similar specis because his mark up/profit margin is higher than on a branded scope especially if they import them direct and cut out the middleman so to speak.
    Where budget scopes are concerned like for like there's not a great deal of difference between them and any differences are usually minor.
    Where you may score with a branded scope of similar price is the aftersales/back up service should you have a problem with it.
    But buying a branded scope or a non branded scope of similar spec and price the difference if any won't be like night and day so to speak.

Lostkiwi and Byronic like this.
  15. ajohn

ajohn Chewing Things Over

A 50mm with that mag range doesn't ask much of the optics. It aught to be fine at all usable light levels. As dusk comes on an illuminated reticule is needed if you hunt.

Distances people shoot at are irrelevant other than sighting the scope in. How fine and how well the scope holds settings. The other thing that usually matters is the style of reticule and the adjustment range of the AO. Style of turrets too maybe, some are easier to adjust.

More info is needed before anyone can comment on suitability really. I have a scope on an old gun that has no name on it at all. The reason is so that the RFD could stock a cheap scope that was essentially OK. It is.

16. sidney

sidney Big Poster

I shouldn't worry too much about paying a tenner too much for a generic scope. In time you'll realise it's just the thin end of the wedge.
    Your horoscope says that, now you've been bitten by the bug, you'll be throwing money at this hobby left, right and centre. It's a symptom of this disease, we're all infected, so enjoy it while you can:thumb:

Wilco likes this.
  17. Seasicksteve

Seasicksteve Keyboard Hero

18. EastmidsHD

EastmidsHD Keep pullin' that trigger..

Don't take the wrong way, but with my cynical head on I get the impression the guy knew that you were green and took advantage and sold you a scope that is mediocre at best.

The positive out of this is that you have learnt a lesson (as we all do when venturing into a knew hobby), you can make your money back on the next item you are looking for and shopping around, and take your business elsewhere to a shop that won't try and have your pants down when you're in there spending your money.

I got caught out when I was on a road trip across the States years ago, I wanted a video camera and the guy talked the hind legs off me and sold me this all singing all dancing camera... Anyway, when I got home I looked online and found out I paid waaaaay over what the crappy camera was selling for, my lesson was certainly learnt the hard way, now I do my homework and exhaust every avenue when buying something out of my comfort zone.

MrYan, cloverleaf and Seasicksteve like this.
  19. Seasicksteve

Seasicksteve Keyboard Hero

Great your supporting local businesses too , but pressure sales and being made to feel you had to buy something is poor....

I'd never use em again

cloverleaf, lee71 and EastmidsHD like this.
  20. AbnormalAspirations

AbnormalAspirations Engaging Member

In life even....

Byronic likes this.