1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Did I just get lied to?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Andy Wales, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I borrowed a pair of those mini binoculars from my mother to see if they were any good. They are only a fixed focus 10x25 but I gave them a few trials anyway. They turned out pretty good actually considering how cheap these little things are. Ultra lightweight, so small they go in the pocket of my Gilet ready to use instantly, focus as sharp as a pin, amazingly clear with a very big field of view. Not the best as darkness is approaching of course, but for glass of this price range I thought not too shabby at all.

So I was looking on EBay one day and thought ah! Lets look at a pair of these cheap ones (I'll hardly use them so not looking for Zeiss etc lol), then I can give my mothers binos back to her.

So I come across a mini pair that look ok and are usually only £8.99 anyway, but at the moment they only want £5.36 for them. I think heck, if they spot rabbits, pigeons, crows etc for me thats all I need. So I decide to order a pair and if they turn out to be crap, then I've only lost a fiver ;).

They come back in 2-3 days. Now, my mothers were 10x25 as stated above. I decided to get 30x50 just for the extra range and maybe a little extra light. I open the box and get them out and I can instantly see they're the same dimensions as my mothers :eek:, yet they are marked in large font 30x50! How can that be?

10x25 means a Mag of 10 with an objective lense of 25mm does it not? So the one's I bought should have a Mag of 30 and an objective lense of 50mm just the same as rifle scopes work yes?

Well, If my last statement IS correct and I haven't overlooked anything, they def ain't!! They are identical in size to my mothers 10x25's :rolleyes:, worse still, I tested both pairs side by side looking at the same (Farm) way off in the distance and I'm certain the Mag's on both were just 10x. Have I been lied to by the seller? I can't see how they can advertise them as 30x50 when they're clearly not? Ah well, they work anyway and they were just a fiver.

Please don't say, "Don't buy cheapies mate" or similar :rolleyes:. That's not what I'm asking here and is another issue. All I want to know is am I correct about the Mag/objective sizes I have mentioned and have they lied to me? :mad:

Andy

2. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Yes, you're correct. They sound like cheapo chinese bins that are just marked up with whatever they decide to write on them, on the basis that the person receiving them doesn't know any different!

In fairness, 30x mag would have been pretty extreme and they would have been worse in low light for it, with very low DOF.

3. CJK1965

CJK1965 Banned BANNED

I bought a cheapo pair like that, 10x25, had them about a year now, they work fine, not bothered if I lose them or they break, light and small, they look cool as well, I like things that look cool ;)

4. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

Agreed, as long as they do the job they're fine, and as above you won't care if you lose/drop them!

I recently bought some old school Tasco 12x25's for £12 on ebay, they're excellent but you have to drop on stuff like that, and if I hadn't would have done the same and bought cheapos.

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Honorary Member

Yes, sounds like you've been stitched.

At least the smaller-than-stated objectives will be more comfortable for the seller when you inevitably forcibly insert their wrongly-described product up them :up:

I've found with many cheap knackered / wrongly supplied items on ebay in the past, writing back and politely asking for a refund and return address often results in a refund and being told to keep the item as it's not worth the seller's time and effort to take it back - so potentially free binos if you kick off; if they don't play ball just lodge a complaint with Paypal and crack out the negative feedback ;)

6. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

Check the 'Bay' advert again. There was probably a drop down box to click on for the option of 30x50. You probably selected the first option. KB1

7. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Sounds like you have been lucky really. 30x mag would be unusable for hand held spotting.
    12 mag is as far as you want to go really at even then you want good quality bins.
    In lesser quality bins around 8 mag always seems best to me.
    Cheers Andy

8. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

For about £28 Aldi do some very good 8x40 which are as good if not better than the 8x40 Nikon I use.

9. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

I have always used 8 or 10×42 they suit me very well, and I can hold them steady.

10. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

I never buy from China these days
    Any issues and you got a problem
    It's a long way and wait to exchange an item
    If you buy of a UK supplier you can get back to him without much bother
    You still may have a Chinese product but I find that little piece of mind using UK suppliers more insuring

I do appreciate there is bad customer service from some UK suppliers but there are black sheep everywhere

11. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

^^
    This

Very rarely had a problem with the Bay (or other online), stuff. When I have, I message them, point out fault, and offer to send a photograph, and also let them know I'm happy to return the item at their cost. They've always been very apologetic, sent a replacement and told me to keep or bin the original. Believe it or not this once included being told to keep a £600 radiator that arrived with paint damage !

Don't be too quick to knock the Chinese stuff either. Bought many times, and no issues. Where do you think half the eBay sellers get their stock from? Even the pictures are the same! Was looking at LED camp lights the other day. There was one on there that was £2 to £3 from China or the same thing from £7 to £24 from UK.

12. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

lol, it's worse than I thought. They're 30x60, not 30x50 as I stated earlier. I can't see how they can get away with advertising them like that? Most strange.

Checked for drop down box in case I accidentaly bought 10x25's. No order box, only the 30x60's.

Not only that though, they are not as good as my mothers 10x25's and the focusing ring is not as "smooth" in operation is the best way I can describe it.

I have the link for you to look at if you wanted to. It's directly from my purchased items list on EBay so they're the exact ones. Only difference is I paid £5.36 with free postage and the day after, they suddeny shot up to £8.99 for some odd reason?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311069873492?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As you can see in the picture, (And mine do look like this exactly as I checked earlier to be sure), they are clearly marked as being 30x60. Most odd and I've never had this happen on EBay before. Oh well, for a fiver, who cares really?

Some of you mentioned 30x mag being too much, but I also have a pair of 6-24x50's and they behave as expected. They are not expensive one's but they do give a true 24x mag and I can hold them still enough, but they are too big and heavy for carrying around and would get in the way. They also don't fit in a pocket ;). They are crap really though and more expensive binos are far superior all round. Maybe I'll just give mine to my mother as she doesn't really use em anyway (Ex rambler) and keep hers. She won't know the difference lol :D. I AM JOKING lol!! :D

Andy :)

13. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Forum Hopscotch Champion

I love you
    The cheque is in the post
    i won't :eek: in your mouth
    These binocs are really good
    Four greatest lies in the world.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  14. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Yep, sure looks that way lol. The lying b*******

15. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

This is the second item you have bought cheap and its not as good as you expected, time to learn the lesson of you get what you pay for.

16. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Third actually Ken. Lets not forget the £14 Matalan wellies while we're about it shall we? :p

17. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

I would report to ebay tbh, otherwise some other poor sod is going to suffer the same fate!

18. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Forum Hopscotch Champion

If you look at the guys negative feedback it's a clue I actually got done by this guy once over a iPhone cable wasn't good enough to tie my shoes with let alone down charge an iPhone (yes before some smart Alec says it I know how to use a charger cable and it's mot tying shoes up with).

19. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Yes, I must start doing that instead of just seeing 99.5% (I will not buy if it's lower) and just thinking, oh, they must be ok :rolleyes:

Andy :)

20. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

A set of 10x50's would be pretty substantial, my 8x50's are 26cms long. You're probably the victim of a box shifter, he reads what it says on the box & sells it as that, the misleading markings probably happened in China when it was made.

As noted a high mag won't do you any favours really, I have an 8x pair because that's about as much as you want when you're bobbing arond in a boat but I've found it's fine for spotting stuff in the field.

Divide the the final lens diameter by the mag, any number 7 or above is good, that's the exit pupil size & a good condition human has a 7mm pupil so anything above that is just wasted, my 8x50's are actually 8x56's - but as I said, they're a handful.