1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Diana - Original model 50? .177

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by theobencarbine88, Jan 12, 2012.

1. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Posting Addict

DSCF4460.jpg
    DSCF4459.jpg
    DSCF4456.jpg
    DSCF4455.jpg
    DSCF4453.jpg
    DSCF4458.jpg

This is my sisters Diana original .177 that she has finally let me look after, :D, she doesnt shoot and its been under the bed for years. Am i right in thinking this is a model 50? This was my Dad's first rifle and he has clearly sawn the barrel off and fitted a silencer! lol. Today is first time ive had a proper look at it and i've yet had chance to fire it either, tommorow i will take it up to my range and see what its like. I was a little concerned & suprised when my sisters boyfriend told me he has fitted an ox accelerator spring to it.. also his choice of a SMK 3-9x40 scope that has been mounted using the odd nut and and bolt isnt what i would call a suited sight for a gun of this charecter. Can't wait to see what its like to shoot though. Underlever & very unusual breech should be a nice change from my break barrels. I've been told its very powerful. Dont know if you can tell from images but this gun is BIG, stock is long and slender, graining is lovely on the cheekpiece. very weighty. blueing is all in great condition.

would like to confirm this is a model 50. also any interesting info on it be appreciated as i know very little. eg. date, specs, value e.t.c

i hope maybe she will let me keep it indefinately... its a rifle i am overjoyed to have in my collection. :)

2. ojs

ojs Posting Addict

Hi.

It looks like a 50 to me. I have had a couple of these and they usually have the model stamped onto the top of the breech. You should also be able to date it by looking along the side at the back of the breech, directly above the rear of the trigger guard. Usually in the format "MM YY". Technically they were designed to produce 10/11ft/lb at most but the upgraded spring may have changed that. Make sure you get it chrono'd as a diy job may have led to it being over powered.
    This variation of the 50 would usually sell for £100 - £200 dependent on condition and who is buying but the chopped barrel wont have dont it any favours as these are more of a collectors piece now.
    Hope thats of some help. There are a few guys on here that have them so may well be along soon to correct me :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

It looks a good bit of kit and i bet you can't wait to have a go with it :up:

4. GIRLYPANTS

GIRLYPANTS Banned

wow lovely rifle mate ive always wanted 1 of them, the stock looks great, i like the way it loads and cocks, the cocking lever is hidden, enjoy mate i know i would

5. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Hi TC

Yup, it looks like a mod50 to me too but it looks to have the later trigger with the pin right through the stock and a push safety, I had a mod50 type01 that had the same arrangement but on the type 01, the cocking lever extends about 8" past the end of the stock..

Here are my current two and i'll be buying at least one more (if not two!) from a chap I know who has an Alladins cave of airguns :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shame that it was barrel chopped :(

Cheers, John :)

6. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Found a pic of the Mod50 type01 tha I used to own, you can see the pin going through above the chequering..

[​IMG]

A mate of mine owns this rifle now and there's achance of me getting it back from him:up:

Also, the mainspring on mine broke so I fitted an Ox spring years ago, it was a mistake as it became very harsh to fire :(

If I ever do get it back, a normal round section spring will be fitted or the preload will be removed ;)

7. owain glyndwr

owain glyndwr Posting Addict

mod50

nice guns,heres a pic of mine,mod 50 to1,minus the elevation wheel on the rearsight,anyone got one to sell?

Attached Files:

8. ojs

ojs Posting Addict

Well i suppose it would be rude to not share my nice rare T01 parkerized. :D
    Model50.jpg

9. theobencarbine88

All lovely examples posted :D.

I just got back from a very cold target shoot with my Diana & Theoben. This being the first time i have shot the diana the first thing i noticed was that it required a very firm pull to cock! I decided to try out some old Eley wasp pellets as that was what was in the gun slip pocket with the rifle. Loading it was a bit of a fiddle at first.. pellet has to be dropped perfectly into the hole otherwise it got a bit wedged and had to be tapped to fall in. So got down and rested the rifle on my sleeping bag sack rest. The scope needs to be further back as i had to crane my neck a bit to get a clear view of the target at 30 yards. I disengaded the safety and rested my finger on the trigger, with target lined up on crosshair i literally only had to feather the trigger and it fired. The lightness of the trigger combined with a very heavy kick and twang from the spring suprised me a little and my first shot was way off bullseye only just on the target board. The ox spring is a brute. I think this diana has possibly got the legs on my XL for fps hard to say. I fired a few more shots, this time they were on the target but were not grouped at all.. accuracy of the thing seems sporadic at best. I fired a few more shots and made some turret adjustments... that didnt really seem to have to much imapct on where the pellets went lol. Decided to swap to RWS domes, 5 shots of those grouped a little better & i got a bullseye but it was a fluke cuz most shots still seemed to fly around the target. The rifle certainly needs some setting up to shoot the way i like, heavier trigger, scope re-mounted & zeroed. The thing has such a kick that every shot the underlever falls down lol.

I swapped over to my theoben and made a nice tight 1 inch group just on the left side of the bullseye. I could really notice that the theoben was down on power compared to the diana.. still, its near on as accurate as any rifle i've used to be honest and silky smooth. At that point i could have spent another hour or more plinking away with my theoben.. frost forming on my gun bags was a sign it was getting a bit to cold though!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Hi TC

I have a feeling that the Ox spring would be better scrapped and replaced with a round section spring that will make it a bit more even tempered :p

They kick like a mule with square springs in, not a recipe for accuracy:rolleyes:

Good luck in getting the old girl up to speed :up:

PS, is yours the Type 01 with the extended cocking lever the same as the pics added to the thread?

11. theobencarbine88

hi john. Yeah i would like to get the ox spring out of it and put in somthing that was designed to go in it. Trouble is its not my gun and i darent fiddle with it.. neither do i want to spend any money on it really. This one doesnt have an extended cocking lever, its flush with the end of the stock.

12. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Ahh Right

I thought your sis had given it to you :eek:

If I get my old gun back from the mate at work, the first job will be to remove that 'orrible spring and put something better in :up:

13. 1961nuffield

1961nuffield Honorary Member

I'd check the barrel crown as well, as if its been shortened and done badly that could produce the poor grouping, lovely rifle.

John

14. robwelsh

robwelsh Well-Known Member

Would anyone know how much I'd get for one? Iv got a .177 all in bits doing nothing, just need a few parts that you can get from chambers and won't cost much ,but would need some finishing touches , pm me if you know guys ,thanks

15. robwelsh

16. robwelsh

17. fuller0554

fuller0554 Well-Known Member

hello mate. just come accross this post. im after a .177 original mod 50. is it stil available. ive got a .22 but i want a .177 so id get a my parts together and build one mint rifle out of all the parts.

theobencarbine88
    if its still relavent to you buddy. you've got a good rifle there mate but id agree, get rid of that ox spring, far to snatchy in my opinion them springs are a bit of a gimick. fitting a titan would be better if you want to keep the same power. stripping them is quite easy if your already a tinkerer but watch where all your parts are coming from. make sure to undo the flat bolt that holds the barrel to the stock as you may not notice and try to pull the qstock away and woops youve cracked the stock. the trigger mecanism is held on with a single pin id take this off as soon as you get the stock off incase you forget and then damage it by letting that spring go and breaking it. i cant tell you enough how much pressure is gonig to be behind that spring when you knock the primary holding pin out, even if its been cut down. (if it has been cut down which stands a good chance as putting a full size spring in is really hard and quite fiddley, this could be another reason for bad recoil as the spring will be pushing un-evenly on the piston so creating more friction in the chamber.) when you are taking the pins out you'll notice 3 ball bearings will come out, dont loose them they hold your piston in place when the rifle is cocked, bit fiddley to put back together as it take some steady hands but a very strong trigger set up, just make sure you have a good look at how its set up so you know which way it all goes back. it would be worth getting a rag and some thinners and cleaning all inside and parts and giving them all a light oiling. dont use grease on the piston seal cause again more drag due to it being leather. once you get comfortable with taking it apart its not that bad. if you get stuck just pm me. just be careful with that spring cause its going to come out of there with loads of force. if you have still got it and you want to sell it let me know im desparate for a .177 mod 50.