1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Desert

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by Hiram, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

2. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

20180618_124114.jpg

LH taking on the Tin Can Gang-Washoe Chapter. I always like her expression when the gun goes boom.

3. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

20180618_124014.jpg

Resorting to the belly gun.

4. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

20180618_124912.jpg

And finally the serious fire power. She couldn't hit (swear word) with the single actions but she blew the hell out of them with the 1911. It's her fave. Only took about two mags before I finally got the shutter to coincide with an empty in the air.

5. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

20180618_124621.jpg

Range Detective. I once knew an actual retired Texas Range Detective back when I was a Deputy Sheriff. He shamed me into eating a baloney sandwich I didn't want...long story. I don't know what he carried for a duty weapon(s) but I hope it was something like this.

6. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

7. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

20180618_150329.jpg

And air rifles. Shot about 120 rounds powder and a good three hundred air between the 80 and "Lighty". Only stopped because we wanted some Mexican food and you can't get it in the desert...and they don't let you shoot in the restaurant. I wish my crappy cell phone camera could capture what I see, the way I see it. The cloud shadows on the mountains and the valley and the nearness and true height of the mountains. That's the Dogskin range and I think the big one centered in the tree is Dogskin itself.

Baldalot, charlie 65, sabc and 4 others like this.
  8. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

One hiccup...the 80 stopped working. Sad making. It won't cock. I can pull the barrel down to full stop but the piston won't latch, generally. Sometimes if I sort of jiggle the barrel up and down at full stop it'll catch but, generally, it won't. And when it won't, if I pull the trigger to the rear (it's not cocked now remember), there's a distinct hard stop to the trigger followed by a hard break after the first stage in lieu of the usual first stage followed by a smooshy second stage that I'm used to getting when it isn't cocked and I pull the trigger back. Anyway...any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

9. JohnHG

JohnHG Engaging Member

Sounds like a piece of the mainspring has broken off and is blocking the trigger/piston latching.
    Best to send it back to supplier for repair. You do not seem to be having much luck with your
    HW80.

10. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

True. That's how it goes sometimes. Any manufacturer of anything can produce a lemon every now and then. My very first Rolex could have been a damn sight better (I'm a watch nerd with no kids, few bills and frugal habits...other than guns and watches). Not worth stressing over. I talked to my tuner in LA and he demanded to have it back to see what the issue is. I'll mail her back and he'll fix her. I like the rifle quite a bit but I was easily hitting the bottom of a 12 ounce can at 52 yards with the 50s (once the 80 died...again) so I've still got a good, reliable, accurate springer that can do what I want it to (or LH does as she seems to have adopted it). Then I also have the 35e which I've barely even begun to wring out. I've still got a lot to amuse myself with and I'm still contemplating picking up that 5.5" Colt SAA. So, again, not worth stressing about. I can't tell you how many firearms I've had issues with. Even almighty Glock, who is allegedly always perfect, has disappointed me severely on two occasions. Sooner or later the 80 will come to heel.

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  11. JohnHG

JohnHG Engaging Member

I am still enjoying my HW35 the more I shoot it the better it gets. My HW80K 5mm is also going strong.
    I have only had an issue with two of my air rifles (all purchased new). A Gamo CFX Royal underlever which also lost a small bit of its spring near the trigger. Fitted an upgraded trigger blade GRT111 and with trimmed spring now only 12 ft/lbs was a great shooter. The other was a Webley pump-up which I scrapped.
    I have an Omega autowinder which was my late dads dates to 1974, it has a neat USA made
    expanding ss strap.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Hiram likes this.
  12. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Love it, what a lovely place to shoot :thumb:

Hiram likes this.
  13. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

It is. I risked life and limb getting those HW80 in a tree shots. OK, I didn't. But I did have to walk through sage brush on a perfect rattlesnake day. Nothing scares me like a rattlesnake. They don't rattle quite as often as people imagine and they blend in to the ground perfectly. Gives me the willies walking in snake country. But except for the snakes, it's a perfect place to shoot. Plenty of room and privacy.

14. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Looking at the first photo whoever is holding the gun they may have a calcium deficiency judging by the white spots in/on their finger nails.

15. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

Really? Thanks for looking out, Patrick. We both get lots of these clouds on our nails this time of year. I always thought it was something to do with prospecting season. That snow melt water is cold as water can get and still be water and the whole process of that sort of work is very tough on fingers and hands altogether. We beat our hands up pretty bad. I'll look into the calcium thing.

16. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yes can be a sign of a calcium or possibly zinc deficiency.Calcium deficiency along with vitamin 'D' deficiency can make people more susceptible to bone fractures,females in particular as they get older as they are more prone to osteoporosis than men i believe.But don't be alarmed Hiram even if they are due to lack of calcium it doesn't necessarily mean you have a major deficiency,just bear it in mind though.

17. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

It is borne in mind. With as much dairy as we consume it'd be weird if it was a calcium issue. Still, worth checking out.

18. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

19. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member

20. Hiram

Hiram Busy Member