1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Der 1984 HW77k, .177, Mit Factory Walnut Stock

Discussion in 'Gun Gallery' started by cloverleaf, Sep 25, 2013.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

The more I tinker with springers the more it reinforces the idea that Weihrauch absolutely nailed the ideal setup for a 12ft.lb rifle when they released the HW77, so recently I've been increasingly open to a purchase if the right one turned up.

This caught my eye earlier in the week and a quick google for "HW77 factory walnut stock" came up with suggestions ranging from "they don't exist" to "they only made a handful".. I'm aware of some nice Tyrolean offerings from the factory and the myriad aftermarket items available, but had never seen a factory walnut sporter before.

After a bit of a leap of faith based on the usual low-res images and vague seller description, the credit card was suitably abused and the rifle turned up this afternoon :D

SMALL_IMG_4166a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4165a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4198a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4169a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4182a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4171a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4189a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4181a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4176a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4177a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4184a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4187a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4173a.jpg

SMALL_IMG_4194a.jpg

The rifle is an early Mk1 of 1984 vintage with all the appropriate features such as the slimmer loading port, lack of anti-beartrap, ball-detente underlever latch, two arrestor stud holes and (presumably) fabled 25mm piston.

It's best described as being in "good used" condition; the metalwork has a few shallow scratches and I had to remove a few small patches of light surface rust from the action (plus the comp. cylinder needs a polish) but it's generally very good for a gun nearing 30yrs old. The stock has a lot of light battle damage, but it's not as bad as the TX SR stock I brought back to life a while ago. Underneath the stock the action's dandy, with no damage or signs of ham-fisted tinkering.. I suspect it hasn't been to bits since it left the factory.

An added bonus is that it still has the original tag attached to the trigger guard :cool:

The rifle's producing around 11.6ft.lb with Exacts, although it's pretty ordinary to use (you can feel the spring coils riding over the guide during cocking and upon firing it makes a sound much like a donkey might if you flicked it's knackers with a rolled-up towel) plus everything feels a bit "laggy" on account of the infamous congealed 30-yr old grease.

Plans are the usual strip, degrease, clean and lube; ideally I'd like to use the original spring with a custom guide and top hat, although I suspect it'll be shafted so might look at a tuning kit (any suggestions?). The stock will eventually be refinished and the action might get treated to a reblue, although I do like the ideal of keeping it original (at least as far as irreversible mods go).

Knowing what these fantastic guns are capable of I'm looking forward to getting it sorted - can't remember the last time I was as excited about an air rifle :p

If anyone can shed any more light on the walnut stock or point me in the direction of any information on the older '77s I'd be most appreciative :up:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. scottie

scottie Engaging Member

i went after that, was just being packed at ludlow
    never seen one before, from hull, good luck

3. cloverleaf

Thanks - I was surprised it lasted the 18hrs it was on g-star before I bought it tbh..

Was it your local shop? The chap I spoke to wasn't too forthcoming with the description but was a decent bloke and offered to take it back if I didn't like it, which I appreciated.

Good luck finding one yourself :)

4. scottie

scottie Engaging Member

to tell the truth.when i phoned him up, and i have never used this shop.
    he said, i am packing it up now, its gone. did not sound a happy chap.
    i have never seen a none custom walnutt 77, it would be interesting to know how many they did.

5. jeremy

jeremy Posting Addict

that is a lovely piece of wood well done on finding it and good luck getting it up to scratch.

Brock1Rgj likes this.
  6. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Stunning, I would love to own a hw77k. I always wanted one as a kid.

Interesting read about the stock, keep us all updated on how this shoots :up:

7. JD

JD Donator

Never seen a standard factory walnut stocked 77 before, and I've owned more than a few 77's in my time.

For a airgun design of 30 years old, the 25mm piston version 77 still rates as the best imo.

8. harryholic

harryholic Active Member

Great find - congratulations - rare, practical, and as you say superb 12ftlb gun.

9. cloverleaf

Thanks all :)

It's funny that despite the nice, relatively expensive PCP gear I have/could have, I'm currently getting the most pleasure from a couple of (not hugely expensive) second hand 20 or 30yr old springers :cool:

That's interesting.. I wonder if he had an eye on it himself or perhaps found out later that he might have got more for it..? He was very quick to accommodate my offer of the asking price inc. postage on the 'phone though. At least he can content himself with the knowledge that it's gone to a good home!

Same.. and yes, I think tbh that the early '77 is the best 12ft/lb sporter - everything is so right; bore, stroke, piston mass, port dims.. sadly like everything else it got more complicated, diluted and compromised with age (not to say that the current '77 and '97 aren't still very capable guns).

I've been thinking a bit more about tuning options. The trigger will be left alone as it's smooth and crisp as is, and I don't want to start having to damage peened-over pins etc to strip the unit. The comp. tube will be polished to clean up the surface, but no buttons or ring bearings will be added as I want the gun to remain original and I've shot well-bedded-in standard (in this respect) guns that were approaching the smoothness of those with buttons.

The tuning will centre around the mainspring and associated components; I'm currently thinking either a home-brew of off the shelf parts with a custom top hat, or maybe just the fitment of a complete tuning kit; the V-mach item being the obvious choice..

foxtrott likes this.
  10. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

What a fantastic looking 77, as has been said by those above, first time I've seen a walnut 77. Thats some collection you are getting Cloverleaf.

11. walker

walker Busy Member

thats class!! question is. are you going to put a scope on it or leave it how it should be;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that's not walnut. Weihrauch and Webley both put out some really nice figured beech stocks in the past and I think this is one.

If your convinced its walnut find a standard beech stock and compare the weight, walnut will of course be noticeable lighter.

Loverly stock mate and whether its walnut or beech you got a really nice gun.

13. JD

JD Donator

I see where your coming from Mike, but given the grain of the stock and that its not varnished, did a bit of walnut fall in with the beech blanks ?

14. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Engaging Member

That's a beauty!

15. cloverleaf

Thanks. I've never considered myself a collector, nor seen the appeal of amassing piles of guns for the sake of it. That said, comparing what I own with how often it gets used, it appears that "collector" is more applicable than "shooter" at the moment :rolleyes:

Ta - for the time being it will be used with the irons, but ultimately I'd like to put a suitable "period" 'scope on it. I have a Rhino 4x32 that would go nicely, but will keep an eye out for a nice Tasco AG too. As much as I like the principal, Tbh I think it's a shame to limit the accuracy of a rifle as capable as the '77 by using open sights :)

Thanks to you both. From the oil finish, grain and consistant colour I'm 100% convinced it's Walnut - there's absolutely no way that's beech :up:

I've sent an email and pic to HW in the hope that they'll supply a bit more info on the gun (hopefully a bit more than just the build date), although I've just had an automated "sorry we're busy" message so am not holding my breath.

Cheers :D

16. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

Yep!

I'd say definitely Walnt too, I've never seen Tiger striping on Beech, I've had loads of 77's in the past but only kept the best one for myself :p

Alas, only a common Beech offering but it's a very early one with a serial# of 1000375, confirmed by Hans as being produced in 1983, only 375 guns after the 'Golden' HW35, serial# 1000000 :cool:
    GICLn8L.jpg

You found a cracker there mate :up:

Cheers, John :)

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  17. JD

JD Donator

Mr Baz, I've come to believe Hw have overlepped their serial numbers with your Hw77,
    there's a centenary Hw97 out there with the same serial number as your 77.

Cloverleaf, I'd be interested to know what HW come back with as a reply,
    a Hw35 stock blank put in the wrong milling machine ?

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Man, that's one lovely 77. In fact, that's the one I want! I'd love a 25mm HW77, and am determined to have one one day.

19. mikemjm

mikemjm Donator

Did Hans make his own stocks or buy them from a third party?

Weigh the gun then you have the absolute answer whether its beech or walnut.

20. johnbaz

johnbaz Big Poster

That's really strange as the number run in order but not to any particular model, the 97 wasn't even a spark of an idea back in '83 as far as I know (introduced in 1997?) :confused::confused:

I can recall someone asking me about a 97 with a serial very close to mine, unless HW started (as you said) recycling numbers again, I don't know what to think :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen the list of serial numbers on the Woc that gives an approximate date??

John :)