1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Decoys..........Do they Work?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Fog, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Thinking of getting an owl decoy but i have always heard mixed results about them.
    Anyone had any experience?

2. Rags

Rags Active Member

Some of the guys around here us the owl decoy

to frighten the pigeons and other birds away in their hangars. I use my Cyclone and shrouded Talon 24" :thumb:

3. Rags

Rags Active Member

If you want to attract birds try decoys of the birds

you want to shoot or hunt.;)

4. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Both. I go off Hunting and leave the Decoy, after hunting for a few hours i head back and if my Perigrine is being mobbed by crows i might if i have not had a good day pick a few off.
    I know some Falconers who would be glad for a bit of feather.

5. Rags

Rags Active Member

sounds like a good plan to me.

sometimes with ground squirrels and rats i just leave them to bait the others out of hiding. :)

6. 16Grain

16Grain Member

I got some magpie deeks. Not had much luck with them yet - I'm still working on placement.

7. Fog

Fog Engaging Member

Wait until spring as its mating season and they become very terratorial. Then you have two options.........

1. Set your Decoy in a Larsen trap, trap a live one to attract others and then fire away at the vermin.

2. Just use the Decoy to attract on its own.If you are in a field the more you shoot and kill the more carrion there is to attract others plus crows etc.

I trap them and feed them to my falcon or my mates so none go to waste especially as its the start of their moult so a bit of Feather is part of a good diet.

Oh yes.......Call me a softy but i always bread and water the decoy live bird until its done and then release it after all its served its purpose.:)

8. Chael

Chael Engaging Member

I definately agree with using a live magpie as the bait in a larsen. Other magpies will come down to pick a fight and get trapped.
    I live on a farm that has egg laying chickens, but the maggies always eat the eggs, so try some eggs or egg shell in the trap to.

Chael

9. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

HAWK DEEKS

MARCH IS THE BEST TIME 4 CROWS JUST AS THEY ARE PAIRING UP, PUT A HAWK (DEEK) OUT ON A POST, WITHIN 30YDS OF YOUR HIDE, CLOSE TO A TREE...THEN WATCH THE FIRE WORKS..I HAVE A VIDEO OF THE SECAND TIME I USED ONE OF MY DEEKS...BUT GOD ONLY KNOW HOW I CAN PUT IT ON THIS FORUM...HELP!!!!:mad:...NEVER MINE..AH...YR LOSS

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

just get some crow or magpie deeks and put a cut oper rabbit or squirel.

make sure the guts are showing this makes it iresistable to them:p

make sure your well hidden too

im may you can use eggs and a fake nest (2 or 3 will do crack one open)

a rubbish pile with bread and other food works too (take trash home with you too)

11. topcat

topcat Post Whore

decoys

i once made a decoy in the image of rockabilly put it in a busy shopping centre with a begging bucket the bucket was full after a hour so they must work

12. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

yes i also made one of topcat out of playdoh, took some making
    though ,you could"nt bend wire the shape of him:rolleyes: ,plus you would need to be over 18 to look at him.:D