1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

decent springer grouping

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Iamthebison, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Iamthebison

Iamthebison Engaging Member

good evening chaps,

I just wanted to ask what was the general thoughts on expected group size for springers over about 25 yards ? Ive been testing different pellets over the same distance and have settled on on AirArms diabolo fields. They have been really consistent after sending 10 or so down the barrel. not sure if thats me or the gun warming up !
    Im managing to achieve about a 1 inch group from standing, all be it with my arm resting on a door frame. Should i expect more ?

that is all

cheers chaps
    :)

2. critter

critter Donator

On a door frame is not free standing lol, Firstly what gun are you using and which calibre ? At 25yrds from a rest position and a quality gun grouping would probably be better. Scope it up from a rest position in the first instance then you know how accurate it really is. Then try it unspported or half resting and see how you go.

3. Iamthebison

Ha ! I was so hoping that there was a sub genre of shooting class called "door frame rest" that was in between standing and resting ! If I fully rest the gun I can group around the size of a 5p so I guess a little more practice will help when standing. I did have a better group today but I would say I lack consistency.
    I'm shooting a .22 BSA lightning Se , scoped obviously. I'm still trying different pellets so the maybe some easy improvements to make
    thanks Critter

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

Should be cloverleafing at 25-30yds rested, proper standing I'm not so sure as I only shoot knock downs.

5. Iamthebison

Thanks Cymru-Dave. Feeling pretty good about my rested group. I think that there is a definite technique to how much pressure you hold the gun with when standing. I've done a couple of tests using the same pellet/distance but adjusting the pressure I use to hold the rifle and it makes a huge difference.

6. dave1962

dave1962 Posting Addict

Search for the Artillery Hold on YouTube a great technique for springers.

7. Iamthebison

Cheers Dave1962 , ill get on that now

8. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

my avatar is a tx200 grouping at 30yards. less than a 5p edge to edge. thats what they are capable of.

9. Iamthebison

Thanks Darklord. I'm trying to find out what's achievable with my rifle by changing a few parameters ( pellets/ grip/ range) there seems to be plenty of power in the gun so I'm looking to get the most from it by checking these few elements out.

10. Akita177

Akita177 The Absolute State of Britian podcast

On a good day i get tight cloverleaf groups at 55yards on the sighting plates sitting down Field target style using a TX200.

11. Bigant

Bigant Posting Addict

my tx pokes single hole groups out to 55 yards opening out slightly as you push out but they are all still touching. any quality springer should be similar :)

12. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Me too Today 3 pellets on top of one another, then 2 slightly adrift, about the size of a 5p:), New Stock syndrome ?

13. valboskie

valboskie Busy Member

Thats brilliant groups you guy's are getting at 55yards you must all be phenomenal shots
    how many years of practice did it take to achieve these group's.

I must be a total **** shot because you say any quality springer can achieve these group's.
    I can get no where near 5 shots under a 5p.
    I have a webley venom lazaglide 95 in a Warren Edward ft stock
    hw 98 vmach
    hw97 sfs stage 2 tune
    tx200 mk3

None of the above in my hands can group under a 5p at 55 yards with 3 of the pellets going through the same hole.
    I must be doing something wrong have you guy's got any pointers to help me out
    or is just as I said im a **** shot.
    Atb
    David

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Webley longbow sfs tuned could get same grouping as with pcps couldn't do that with any other springer in all stances. But rested, I usually get say 10-20% bigger groups with recoiling rifles.

15. Nickg

Nickg Busy Member

Akita and my Tx 200's are both tuned guns by yours truly, and they shoot considerably better than standard. Mine when standard would not group that tightly at only thirty yards.

16. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I used to get 20mm groups at 20M with a gas rammed .22 Lightning, there was a fault with the barrel & I swapped it for one from a Meteor, I've got the groups down to 10mm now. I'm still working on it but I'd be surprised if it will get it much smaller, that's from a supported position & will be OK for what I want, but if I needed better the only thing I can think of is to get a Weihrauch or Air Arms - shame but there it is.

17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Lads with all due respect to the OP he said his gun was a BSA lightning!

My advise to the OP is with no offense intended, it doesn't matter what stance you adopt or perfect, the man is only as good as his tools allow.

If you shot something like a tuned springer you would probably find it much easier to put in good groups even from resting on the doorframe.

Ive owned supersports, and lightnings over the years, mainly offered to me for peanuts, and Ive taken them apart and tried to tune them with all the usual methods, and done a relatively good job of the last one I did, but even then, the barrel lock up isn't even near the standards of good springers it can be moved side to side even after shimming, and the firing cycle of a standard gun is horrible and harsh the triggers are probably the worst triggers Ive used (and I don't usually knock triggers) so Im not surprised your struggling with it.

Good thing is when you have tried with a poor springer, then you use a good one, you will appreciate it far more.

I remember buying a brand new TX in about 1997 after owning a few BSA springers and a FWB sport, I went out on my permission that night and shot a few targets then a few squirrels and I thought I had just bought a lazer gun, I absolutely loved it, it was glass smooth, and the accuracy was on par with some of the best pcps Ive owned, It was a belter of a TX that one! loved it.

So don't expect much beyond 25 yrds with your bsa mate, they are ok for ferals in a barn and plinking for fun but no Target gun Im afraid.

Where as the TX200 won just about everything when it was launched, and still the best springer in the world inmo, some will never part with their SR versions, mine was just a standard full length gun, and to this day Ive yet to shoot anything smoother than that springer.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  18. hairyarms

hairyarms .

I don't want to bash the BSA,but you haven't got the best gun mate. I have a TX200 and I will always remember taking it to work to try it and I shot 5 pellets at 35 yards(couldn't do 55 yards though) and they were all touching each other.I have had a few guns now and the only springers I rate are the TX200 HW97 and the HW99 I even had a HW95 and couldn't get on with it I found it really jumpy.

19. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I don't like Hw95s either mate, I agree the TX200 then HW97 are obviously heavier which helps and fixed barrel so no movement to worry about, underlevers rule.

20. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i'm being genuine here, i have had a hw97kt, hw98, hw98 sfs tuned set back trigger etc.... tx200 mk3 short stroked- all .177 and a .22 brummie webley longbow sfs tuned just shot so much better and grouped very well. i don't know why it was so good but it just was,

i have a feeling a big big part of the rifle's performance also comes down to the shooters comfort with the rifle, for example, the tx had minimal recoil, great trigger and was consistant etc.... but i just couldnt get on with the stock and holding it steady, i suspect it was due to the sporter aesthetics may have taken away from the functionality a tad. for me it really is a fit and finish to the individual. the hw97kt fitted me well and i shot with that well, the same with the standard hw98. the sfs tuned hw98 with set back trigger and cs stock i couldn't shoot at all and got rid immediately. i prefered everything about the standard hw98 other than the trigger.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014