1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Daystate Regal.

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by engraver, Apr 16, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Where to start.

I picked up a Regal having owning a Huntsman previously and loved its lightweight and pointability for short trips out, plus the Regal lured me with its selected walnut.

So initital zero wasn't bad at 30 yrds with AA field it was clover leafing and with a Bushnell legend mounted off I mooched for a bit of a test on live stuff.

I only went 20yrds and took a woody from my zeroing spot I thought great start clean close range shot.

Since then Ive taken another 3 pigeons a Rabbit and 6 squirrels over a 2 night stint, and to be honest I could tell it was low on power, and when people say "you wont notice a few fps from 10-11.4ish ft/ibs" that's not the case Im afraid on live quarry,you do.

My other two .177s a Rapid 17 and a hw100tk both do 11.4 with a 8.4 grn pellet and I feel confident with both of those to take pigeons up to 50yrds and beyond in the right conditions and both have accounted for hundreds of pigeons, that extra foot pounds seems to really flatten the trajectory further and hit with a far more convincing kill far more consistenly.

So I tried various other pellets to maybe get the FPS if not FPE anyway the obvious choice of 7.9 grain Accupell or Daystate LI/ Crossman premier (all the same pellet) to my surprise didn't shoot as well as AA field 4.52 so I felt a bit stuck, because my Huntsman loved them and was a tack driver with them.

Then I tried the new Barracuda Extreme at 9.5 grn and bingo!! it likes these and gives a better power than anything else including Bisley magnums surprisingly enough, I took a nice 35 yrd pigeon tonight and it proved a harder hitting pellet plus I was getting 1/4" groups at 40yrds which is about as well as the gun has shot and would enable you to head shoot rabbits at that range with room for a little error.

Saying that I was so frustrated I admit I had to strip it this morning with the tool bought to remove the anti tamper screws, I performed surgery to find out how it ticks, maybe Daystate don't like you working on their guns as you would be surprised what you find, I should have taken a picture of the ends of the spring I pulled out it was shockingly finished for a rifle at this price, so I gave it a polish and ground the ends glass smooth.

I then began to adjust the Harper Valve, the whole hammer needs dropping out and the brass end unscrewing from the front striker, it was loctited in or something and needed a decent amount of force to break the seal, also there were lots or rough edges needed a polish around the hammer and internals of the harper valve, a grub screw releases the striker to allow it to be turned in or out, and from my findings winding in gave a few more FPS but not a lot.

I decided to compress the harper spring a little with some heat applied and adjust the striker so there was just a 1.3mm indent from the end of the body apposed to its original setting of 2.3 mm, after everything was polished and threadlocked I managed a chrono result at peak of charge with a 9.5 grain barracuda extreme of a whopping 10.8 Ft/ibs.:rolleyes::mad:

I cant believe there is no spring guide in this rifle! just like a PTFE collar that's probably to quieten the spring ringing when you shoot, but the ends of the spring just sit on two tiny little steps to hold it in place, a guide will improve this set up Im sure and quieten the action some more.

While I had the gun in bits like Ive done with my previous daystates Ive shimmed and centralised the shround in the Fig 8 clamp as I hate to see a shroud being pushed by the fig 8 or to hear a wobble from the shroud when you shake the gun, so a simple method I use is to line the inner edge of the Fig 8 with some black electricians tape, it works and there is no wobble from this shroud now, no wobble no barrel move, no point in a Fig 8 inmo without at least an O ring inbetween the shroud and it otherwise the barrel can be pushed around within it easily as I found when I rested it on a branch, its not supposed to move as the shroud is designed to move as it sits itself on O rings but a figure 8 clamp can still influence the barrel position and you may be able to demonstrate that, by simply shooting a 40yrd group then shooting one with the gun resting on the barrel if its not different then yours is Ok.

Why Daystate dont use a solid 16mm barrel like HW and Theoben I will never know, well I do know, the shrouds are cheaper.

Anyway Im still not 100% happy with the gun, as Im a perfectionist and I will be looking for a different hammer spring and or some spring guides turning up by someone of slightly different widths to fine tune the power a little more to its favourite pellet, I still would like it doing 11.5 ish with an 8.4 grn pellet, it shouldlt be too much to ask from a gun at over £700 should it?

It still currently shoots the 8.4 grain pellets at less than 10.5 Ft/ibs for all my effort today, and wont be taking any long range quarry with it in this current state as Hunter extremes are not a long range pellet more for sub 35 yrd stuff inmo but the 35yrder tonight dropped from a tall pine tree with plenty of feathers floating around afterwards, so its usable but Ill save the 50yrders for the other two airguns I use for now.

I did notice tonight that I got less flyers and was able to pile pellets on each other at range so if anything my polishing has made it a bit more consistent.

Lovely looker and handles like nothing else, I do like it but maybe someone can give me some advise on where to get a different spring or some spring guides for it? why wont this gun go over the magic 11?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    CRG likes this.
  2. walker

walker Busy Member

interesting read. just shows although some guns are aesthetically pleasing, they aint up to much internally. alot of people mention there daystates being underpower from the factory.
    1 ftlb difference with an 8.4grain pellet is a good 30-35fps i reckon. it all adds up.

3. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Oh its no Rapid inside mate, in fact this harper valve is just like a beefed up inertia weight on a rapid, but not as heavy duty.

Its looks half plastic/delrin, not all steel like a rapid hammer.

When I read about this titanium valve on the new regals I expected the whole thing to be titanium, but its not.

Anyway all I need from it is another ft/ibs then I will forgive it because it does shoot nice regardless of its internals to be fair.

4. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Glad ive read this elliot as i had one of these on my to buy list very poor show for a gun ment to be top of the market

5. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yes Dave it may be able to hit the centre of killzones over and over on a HFT range but you would think for a gun made for hunting they would at least pump them out with at least 11 ft/ibs energy in .177 In fact the .22 would make its power much easier I wish I had got it in .22, I might even do a cal change yet.

If anything the hammer needs a bit of weight inmo, and the on ticket 40 ft/ibs version doesn't even use a Harper slingshot its just a solid hammer, dead basic.

In fact a Harper only gets you about 10 more shots per charge at sub 12, so they aint all that really, in fact I don't know how they got it patented because loads of airguns use a similar set up.

But I will get this one right with a bit of fettling, and after that it should be as reliable as an unregged rapid nothing much to go wrong, at least it isn't electrics, because that is out of my league.:D

6. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Think ile give em a miss mate tbh i havnt been impressed with recent daystate purchases nearly regret selling my rapids now bu thats a diff story i like u was took by the titanium inners and its looks ohh well ive still but the bullpup for hunting

7. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Its as good as most top end guns for 35yrd hunting in its current guise but that's about the limit really, apart from that the mags the trigger and feel of the gun is top drawer, they got it all right apart from the power, trigger is awesome.

8. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

Had my Regal since early October (.22) and it has shot a consistent 11.5ft/lbs since the day I got it, I spoke to Daystate and they said all their guns were set at 11.5! Touch wood, it hasn't missed a beat, loves Falcon Accuracy Plus (13.43 grains) with Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums (14.3 grains) not far behind, and has taken Rabbits with head shots at 38 yards so far. I haven't a clue about the internals but so far it's been everything I hoped for.

9. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

You've been lucky to get yours at 11.5 mate every daystate I've had has been set bellow 11 more 10.5 wen asked on daystate forum about it was told it's so they don't run hot with heavier pellets

Darren Johnston likes this.
  10. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

When I spoke to Kenneth (day state tech dept) he said all Regals were set at 11.5 so I assumed that was the norm, I did try the heavier pellets (16 grains) but my rifle seems to prefer the lighter ones.

11. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

.22 maybe.

.177 no its common knowledge they come out 10.5 max, there are lots of people saying the same as me the daystate forum, personally I think the intertia (slingshot) spring either needs to be heavier or the hammer weight or spring pressure increasing, but the problem with that is the graunchy bolt syndrome which is not what I want that's why Ive tried adjusting the slingshot first as this wont put any extra stress on cocking.

The reason Im not sending it to daystate is I would rather know exactly how my own gun works, so I can service it and fine tune it in the future without relying on Daystate and postage both ways, Ive heard about them returning from daystate with marks on the shroud and dents in the stocks so I know Im going to take more care with my own rifle.

12. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Wouldnt worry about marks on the shroud elliot its only powder coating matey i recoated a couple of mine more shock and awe for a gun of this price bracket have u looked under your shroud yet the barrels arnt even blued !!! Or arnt on the wolf and mk4is i agree mate on barrel dia too there shocking of a supposive top end pcp

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yes mate I shortened the shroud on my huntsman and was surprised to find the unblued barrel.

I actually made my own bushings for the huntsman from a cut down Mk3 shroud and it fitted on solid an with a hw silencer fitted it was still a lot quieter than the Daystate airsteam and shroud set up, and I didn't like the original shroud mounts.

The airsteam silencer is pointless inmo I shoot it without the silencer anyway as I prefer the handling and short length.

But I think for them to blue and thread a proper barrel it would cost more than their current set up, its all down to making a profit I think, but if they listen to the majority of customers I sure most people with any sense would have a good solid, floating blued, barrel.

But saying that they would look a bit weird if there was a big gap over the cylinder, but nothing stopping them making a band set up for that with an internal o ring fitted, something like the FX cyclone set up.

14. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I thought I would update this thread as Ive since had the gun apart and learned a few things by trial and error, all is now forgiven.

Its doing a healthy 11.3 ft/ibs now with an 8.4 grain pellet as I like them to do in .177 its more consistent and its grouping great now.

All it needed was the harper striker winding in a bit further I take back what I said about the hammer spring needing guides as I got it slightly wrong on the first attempt to adjust the striker and went to far and the gun went easily skywards with no more tension on the hammer spring needed, so I had to take the gun apart again to reverse wind it and threadlock everything once again.

I now have the striker more or less flush with the end of the hammer body, as before it was set 2.7 mm inwards to make 10.3 ft/ibs so 2mm gives about 1 ft/ibs give or take 0.2

This is what it looks like[​IMG] its now flush.

To release it from the hammer you must unscrew the brass part of the valve [​IMG] then unsrew this grup screw and wind it from the back with an allen key.[​IMG]

This is how the Harper assembly looks split [​IMG]

And this looks like the Titanium main valve body that the Harper valve strikes[​IMG]It just works like a slingshot basically the hammer hits the end of its travel and the centre of the hammer is spring loaded and continues its momentum to eventually strike the main valve, so obviously the more the striker sticks of from the body the less distance it has to travel to the main valve and the more power it generates.

Just make sure you use threadlock when you screw the harper valve back together[​IMG]

Anyhow now Im going to start to enjoy the gun with no worries in the back of my mind about low power, I can get my head down with it and do some serious hunting, and I can take care of future servicing of my own rifle now, which is something I like to know:):up:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  15. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I'm so glad you got this sorted.

As I've recently bought a couple of Regals I've been watching your love/hate relationship hoping everything was going to turn out alright, and now it has. This is a great end, as like you I think these are great guns when they are running right, but also that Daystate should have taken more care to make sure they did it from the box. I don't have your skills, one of mine is back at Daystate for a stiff bolt, but hopefully back and sorted tomorrow.

Well done that man, and good pics too.

James

engraver likes this.
  16. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

I find sm50 a great cure for a stiff bolt.

17. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Nice one elliot theres nothing like sorting your own problems out like your self ive others make me bits but always built my own guns you no where u are inside and out with them then

18. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks lads Im glad I found out how it ticks also, as it was bugging me.

Ive just done a few more test on the chrono and the power with a fill of 180bar with 9.5 grain barracuda extreme is 11.7 ft/ibs , bisley magnum actually make less power than these.

The power with an 8.4 grain JSB/AA filled to 180 bar is 11.4 ft/ibs exactly on par with my hw100tk but the Regal trumps it with twice more shots.

A 10 shot string at its peak of charge gave it the most consistent run of pellets and very little fps difference, in fact its as good as a regulator.

So Im happy with that now, ready to go hunting:up:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  19. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Great posts Elliot, wish I had your skill and knowledge to be able to service my Superten, it all looks a bit scary to me!!
    atb Paul.

20. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

It's not scary.......................It's witchcraft.....:eek:

James