1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Daystate huntsman regal power curve

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by brett23, Dec 20, 2013.

1. brett23

brett23 Active Member

hi all
    my son has just purchased the regal and started sighting in yesterday
    he filled it to 200bar as specked on the rifle and started to zero.
    straight away we noticed after two or three fills that there is a 3inch start off
    drop when filled to the 200 bar then it creeps up back to zero and stays there for maybe 30 / 40 shots approx.
    is this normal to have that much discrepancy at the beginning of a fill
    cheers
    brett

2. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Busy Member

Mine certainly isn't like that and I haven't heard of any others. I would contact Daystate technical department which from memory is only open from 4.30 till 5.30 each day, check on their website.

3. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

You need to run it over a chrono to see exactly what's going on. You should have a sweet spot by all means and your first few shots maybe a few fps down but a 3" drop suggests a couple of hundred fps drop which isn't normal. I would expect that as the air has pretty much exhausted.

4. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Do you have a chrono? If so do a full shot string and see what's going on because it should be pretty steady over the charge

5. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Sounds like over filling , my ranger has a sweet spot from 190 bar although it can fill to 210 , try a 190 fill and see if this resolves the problem , i you look on the daystate owners site a lot off regals have gone back , if you have a chrono its probably around 10,4 ft lbs as daystate like to stay on the safe side out of the factory

6. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The Regal is not regulated. Therefore there will be a change due to the pressure acting on the back of the valve that hammer has to overcome. Try filling to 180BAR and shooting down to 120BAR (read the pressure from the bottle guage, NOT the rifle guage. They are a guide to how full the cylinder is, but they can never be very accurate.) How do you know when it has dropped to 120? Shoot until the point of impact goes off and then connect the riifle and see what pressure is left - I bet it won't be far off, you may be lucky and get down to 110BAR. As you do this, COUNT THE NUMBER OF SHOTS. Alternatively, count out 70 pellets, and starting at 180BAR, shoot them all, then check the pressure.

Regardless of the Harper valve system, there is still a power curve. Only a regulator can overcome this. The Harper valve system simply reduces the amount of WASTED air at the end of each shot by closing the valve and overcoming the hammer bounce that then hits the valve slightly and lets a little puff of air out each time AFTER the shot. The way the hammer works is:
    The striker flies forward under spring pressure and hits the stem of the valve to open it - just like if you tapped a match on the valve stem of a tyre valve to let the pressure out a bit. In order to overcome the 3000psi pressure holding the valve shut, in addition to the valve spring pressure, the hammer spring needs to be fairly powerful and carefully balanced in weight against the valve spring and air pressure. Due to the hammer spring pressure, when it hits the failry resistent valve, a normal hammer bounces - exactly like a hammer hitting a nail bounces and you get a slight double tap. The Harper system uses inertia to strike the valve by driving a free floating hammer forward carried by an outer casing. The outer carrier hits the stop to the side (all round) the valve. The free floating hammer carries on under inertia, like a loose object in a car in a collision, and flies forward to hit the valve. Because there is no spring on this free-floating part of the hammer when it bounces off the valve stem it stays off - if it were spring loaded the spring would drive it forward again, giving that double tap. THIS IS WHERE THE EXTRA EFFICIANCY OF THE HARPER SYSTEM OCCURS.

Why doyou still have a power curve?
    Inside the rifle the reservoir cylinder is filled at VERY HIGH PRESSURE. 200BAR is 2800+ psi, or 100x the pressure in your car tyre. This pressure is acting on the back of the valve and holding it shut. The valve spring merely puts the valve in place against its seat, it is the pressure that actually does the sealing.

The hammer spring is of a fixed weight/strength call it what you will. When that hammer spring is driving the valve open against 2800psi, it cannot hold it open for as long as when there is only 140BAR behind the valve. The differences are very small, but enough to show up on the target. Listen to the PHUTT when you pull the trigger - it is very fast. So the length of time the valve is open is minute, and the difference is even smaller - but it gives an idea of how precise these PCPs have to be to run well. The power curve evens out in the middle, the main part of the pressure fill - the numbers I gave should give you a very usable fill with little or no difference in point of impact.

When you fill the rifle, it might be SAFE to pressure it to 200BAR, but that doesn't mean it efficient at that pressure. A manufacturer is obliged to put a SAFE WORKING PRESSURE =- that means the rifle won't blow up at that pressure, it doesn't mean it will be deadly accurate at it. Every rifle will have an individual performance curve, nothing is manufactured EXACTLY the same. Even things like the ambient air temperature, altitude or barometric pressure on the day will affect how the rifle performs. It is so small that only benchrest types who are trying for 100th of an inch acccuracy will notice it - but that doesn't meanit isn't there! Shoot your rifle at sea level, and then at the top of Ben Nevis and you will see a difference.

The new rifle will also need a period of bedding in. All the moving parts have to polish themselves and get used to each other.

7. audi swift

audi swift Man up & pull the bloody trigger.... HFT 101.

very good in-depth write up on how some pcp's work from the above, glad you wrote that mate & not me :D

regals can be & are good rifles plus they are under rated at the moment but they do need a bit time to be run in to get to there best working state just like a new car does, I would fill to 200 bar & top up again about 120 bar, you might get 60 to 80 shots when it is run in after say 500 too 1k of pellets & I know that sounds a lot but it is not trust me.

8. brett23

brett23 Active Member

cheers guys great info I appreciate it
    my son went back to the airgun centre today to buy some bits and as he was concerned about the rifle he took it with him they looked It over and changed the rifle over for a new one ,great service and nice guys as well
    but we will keep a close eye on this one hopefully all should be ok but thanks to you guys we will watch the pressures closely for best results
    cheers
    brett

9. tombillings916

tombillings916 Donator

Usually get about 90 shots out of my Regal filling it to 190bar and around 110 bar it starts to drop off - never had a problem with it so far, love it!

10. Ozz3y86

Ozz3y86 Banned

Sweet spot on my regal is fill to 190 shoot down to 110 get around 80 good shots

11. brett23

brett23 Active Member

my boy got a new huntsman and that one packed up after 300 plus shots ... needless to say he doesn't own a huntsman anymore he was just unlucky

12. Ozz3y86

Ozz3y86 Banned

Sorry to hear that mate. Mine has been spot on very accurate n consistent only a 15 fpe spread over a full fill spread of around 80 shots. Mine was 1 of the first ones too so I would of thought I would have all the problems.
    What has he gone for now?

13. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Mines ok and very accurate ...atb

14. brett23

brett23 Active Member

to say he's gutted is a understatement but he is quite a heavy shooter 750 in a sitting is not uncommon he's gone to the air wolf less stress on the bolt which was the main problem as with my air ranger same thing seizing bolt

15. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

15 fpe is one hell of a spread :D

16. brett23

brett23 Active Member

pleased to hear it lovely guns

17. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

It is isn't it?
    My old Prosport stays within 6fps and even the Cometa 300 stays within 10fps. :D. Ok, I didn't read the post properly!:D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  18. Ozz3y86

Ozz3y86 Banned

I meant fps. Might seem stupid here but I don't get the joke :confused:

19. Ozz3y86

Ozz3y86 Banned

This was over 10 shots but carried on testing over the whole fill and didn't change until it dropped under around 105bar

Attached Files:

20. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

You wont get any replies now have shown you have a good rifle mate ....if your results was bad you'd have a 10 page thread lol