1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Daystate Airwolf

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Daimler42, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Daimler42

Daimler42 Member

Hi, I've read the Target Sports review of this rifle and thought that I might add some thoughts on my use over the last year of this rifle. In the time I have had the rifle I have probably put about 2500 pellets through it, all (or almost all) whilst shooting vermin both feather and fur. I have found the rifle to be heavy when carried for any length of time but its performance more than makes up for this little drawback. You truly can get well over 400 shots from the 500cc bottle - all consistent, all accurate and powerful. I cannot count the number of woodies, ferals, bunnies and rats that have fallen to this weapon at distances up to 40 yards (ish). I've got an IR Hawke scope on it - not expensive - with a Deben Stinger lamp for darkness hours and they work perfectly for what I use it for. As its a .22 I've never considered using it for targets but I'm sure it would hold its own but I think that its true talent is in the field or barn ridding our farming mates of pests. Also worthy of mention is the charging of the airwolfs batteries. In the last 12 months I have only had to charge it three times (it does actually beep at you to give warning of low battery). I notice that the Target Sports review states that the shrouded barrel silencer is okay - I would go further than that
    - its excellent - I've tried an additional silencer but thought that it added unnecessary length to the barrel and unbalanced the gun a little for only a slight extra silencing effect. The magazines can be problamatic both in fit and operation - I've bought a couple of spares (save up 'cos they're not cheap) and found that I have had to make little 'adjustments' with gentle use of emery cloth to get a good fit. One of my mags was stiff and it was not always easy to chamber a pellet, I thought it was because it was new but it still presents a problem now and again - getting better with use though. All in all I wouldn't swap this gun for any other and think that it will last many years (or I hope it will as they do cost a bloody fortune). Hope this helps anyone thinking of investing in a Daystate Airwolf.:)

2. simply james

simply james Banned

thats a good review mate

3. amaser1

amaser1 Donator

Excellent review. Good points, brief and to the point.... Cheers

4. dazz

dazz Engaging Member

well done mate an well said. i also have a airwolf with tac stock as i shoot a lot of farms an its always covered in poo. i now have sling an bipod most of my shot's are now supported so weight not to much of a problem now. like you i'm in love with it an would never swap. :up::up::up::up:

5. Jimathon

Jimathon Engaging Member

I have got an MVT Tactical Wolf and although I have had some problems with consistency I would say that its head and shoulders above my other rifles.
    Once you get the hang of the mag insertation its perfect and the accuracy (mines a .177) is something else.
    If it comes back from Daystate and can hold a zero after breathing on it I will be happy but we will wait and see.
    I am learning though the its seeminly a well kept secret that about 20% of the rifles bought have to go back with problems. Daystate are second to none with customer service so it will get sorted but should you really need to after spending that kind of dollar on a gun??
    Only after posting my problems on another forum was I getting countless PM from guys who all had issues with the Wolfs, specifically the MVT models.
    Food for thought
    Matt

6. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

I thought the MVT's were supposed to be very consistent. :eek:

7. Jimathon

Jimathon Engaging Member

Andy, the problem was not shot consistency but poi consistency.
    The gun will group about 5mm from 35m again and again then "breath" on it EG pick it up sling it over my shoulder, put it back down again an it would shoot 5mm groups again.
    Only somewhere else??
    Tried everything and now its gone back to its makers to get sorted

8. hughie

hughie Posting Addict

Yes mate excellent review. :) Is it really worth the price though. Will a S410 or soemthing effectively do the same thing on a hunting trip?

9. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Well ive never rated the shroud on airwolfs, mine had accuracy problems when i first got it. I think they've changed the internals since i got mine, but using a rubber o-ring to hold the shroud central combined with a very small exit hole was never going to work well. I notified Daystate on a support forum about this as soon as i got my gun (No 34) but my posts just got deleted. :rolleyes:
    I was was getting flyers about 6 inch of target about every tenth shot and as soon as i removed the shroud it was perfect, in the end i drilled out the exit hole and the internals to cure the problem. Now i have removed the shroud all together and fitted a silencer and accuracy is great.
    The barrels are two small in diameter if you ask me and move about two easily, some users in the states had accuracy problems and found fitting a barrel band to the bottle cured it, one guy got excellent results by just putting gaffa tape around the shroud and bottle. :D

10. Jimathon

Jimathon Engaging Member

Well hopefully I wont need to as I`m expecting Dastate to fix the problem permenantly but you never know?
    Cheers for the info though

11. darrenxjr

darrenxjr Well-Known Member

and this is a £1200 rifile

12. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Now that's why this is the best airgun forum, because the air-gunners that have an opinion about any product, airgun wise dont get deleted ;):D

13. dazz

dazz Engaging Member

daystate are now making me a shortened shroud . hopefully this will stop the flex an using the mk4 silencer to do away with it built in silencer. i to have drilled out end cap making it much better...

14. Jimathon

Jimathon Engaging Member

My MVT is back with a replaced barrel. Once I get home I will report on whether its fixed the problem or not!

15. dazz

dazz Engaging Member

my wolf now has the shortened shroud with the mk4 silencer fitted it myself everything is now super tight hardly any flex in the barrel super quiet an no clipping at last . now no internal silencer. i think it looks great. an it groups how it should 3 pellets in one hole at 28 mts indoors so any problem now is driver errror:up::up::up::up::up::up::up::up: good luck with yours..:up::up::up::up::up::up::up:

16. pava

pava Engaging Member

I will have a little cash to splash in the new year (if wifey don't get to it first) and I was thinking of treating myself to a new Daystate Airwolf in .177 flavour.:D I have read this thread with both interest and trepidation.:confused: I have read articles praising this model and Daystate's in general and the three Daystate owners I met at the range recently, had nothing but praise for them too. I must admit that, what I am reading here is concerning me. Do I really want to spend £1300 on the "Rolls Royce" of rifles, only to have it have perform like a car used for banger racing!:eek: For the same money I could treat myself to AA S410/S510 & a BSA R10 Mk2. :D The more I'm investigating Daystate the more stories of woe I'm hearing and the higher my concern grows with ordering one.:down: Gonna have to give this some serious thought over Christmas and decide in the New Year.

17. MarkHByC

MarkHByC Newbie

I'd be interested to know what choice you made as I am ready to buy my first gun and was set on the Daystate Airwolf Tactical but have been put off by some negative comments regarding recent quality control. I'm now considering a HW100 but am still drawn to the Daystae mainly because of some excellent reviews on various YouTube channels. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

18. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

My Wolf POI improved when the shroud was shortened to barrel length and the tuning fork/ o ring relocated to the bin.

19. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

This thread is 5 years old so 'some things' may have improved along the way, looks are not everything.
    Reviews are 'personal' shoulder as many & better still shoot if you are able all that you can. hth .................... :coffee:

20. pava

pava Engaging Member

Sadly I was not in a position to splash as much cash as I'd hoped, new boiler put paid that.:down: In the end I opted for a used R10 Mk2 with Hawke sidewinder 30 scope. Sadly that was even a bigger disaster than the broken boiler and in the end I spent the refund on a brand new HW95k with Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 4-12x50 AO IR and ordered a Falcon 4-14x44 IR FFP scope to cheer up my S510.:D

My shooting buddy has just bought the Air Ranger in .177 (3 weeks old), not only does it looks the dogs danglers (in my opinion), it's shoot like em too.:D He is extremely happy with the rifle and even happier that with RWS Superdomes, it puts pellets on pellet at 45 yards.:up: I know you need to re-mortgage to afford one, but the smile on his face when he is shooting it says it's all worth it.

Hope this is of some help, but what ever you get, enjoy it to the full.

ATB
    Pav