1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

daughter shooting and advice

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by gixxerpower, Jan 3, 2014.

1. gixxerpower

gixxerpower Engaging Member

Hi. was down the range today and had to take the kids with me. My daughter who is 9 was moaning like mad but it was that or shopping with mum!. Anyway she was really intrested and was asking loads of questions so while it was quiet i let her have a few shots. i told her about been safe etc. and steadied the rifle on the bench for her (was using my webley eclipse).

She has never held a gun before and shot 6 shots a pistol target at 20yrd. 2x were in the same hole in the 8 ring and one in the 9 ring :eek: she also got 2 through the same hole in the white.

She loved it and now wants a rifle of her own. Even mum has agreed! as it gets her off the bloody ipad. i know she cant own a rifle but is she ok to plink in the garden under my supervision or at the range as i have seen similar age kids shoot rifle and pistol there? also was looking in the shop and they had a used cometa 50 in for £50 which was a ideal size for her. is there anything similar which may be a better buy? not bothered about scopes yet.

does anyone else let there young kids shoot? i would really like her to get in to it as she says she wants to do something in the olympic games one day lol

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Do it. It's legal under your supervision. You'd have to lock the rifle away, make sure that no pellets leave the boundary etc, but it's fine for her to shoot.

3. resnikov

resnikov Busy Member

I let my 8 year old daughter plink with my S410 in the garden and she loves it. Nothing wrong with whilst done under supervision.

4. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

Cometa 50 is a great choice.

And it has nice autosafety.

5. gixxerpower

excellent! the gun would be locked away with mine anyway so no problem there. shes going to have to practice shutting her left eye lol

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

If she struggle she could do what a lot of the bell target shooters do, and wear a cap with a beermat stuck into it hanging down over the offending eye.

7. gixxerpower

thats a good idea. some saftey glasses with the left lense blacked out would be good to.

8. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

agf meet 013.jpg
    Harriet age 10 aka ferretgirl ,so loves it,but is known for losing her patience for time to time :rolleyes:

9. gixxerpower

Think i might go back to the shop tomorrow and make a purchase!!

10. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Funny but Grumps remembers the ferret being considerably more patient and responsible than her father last time we all shot together :D

11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Me too - she was way cooler than Gasman!

12. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

LOL I do get stressed sometimes with her bless her, when she loses concentration :eek:

13. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

We have a growing number of young Girls joining Dads on Our Club Shooting Ranges

And some are beating Dad's in competitions

Rifles & Pistols

BOB/R

14. r1ch

r1ch Donator

Took my 13 year old daughter to idleback for the second time before Christmas, started on my dads .177 and she was knocking the bottom target down and ringing the bell consistently! Then set her on with my .22 scorpion, 3 shots working out the drop at 32 yards then she rang the bell and went straight through the drop down targets without missing a single shot! I took the scorpion back for the last five minutes and couldn't hit a thing lol! I think I may have to get her a gun for Christmas next year, or one for me cos she seems attached to the scorpion!

15. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Grumps is just relieved the OP wasnt wanting advice on shooting his daughter :eek:

16. loki_79

loki_79 Donator

Even better, cut out a section of the opaque 2 or 4 litre plastic milk bottles to cover one eye. This obscures the vision, but still lets some light through, which helps to prevent the other pupil from dilating due to lack of light to the closed eye.

17. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

We have a couple of parents at our local club bring their kids. Kind of breathes fresh air into the old hall what we shoot in. There's a special slot together target station the club has under the stage for younger kids to shot at closer ranges.

18. gixxerpower

lol.

Well been back and got the Cometa 50 this afternoon, ended up putting a old scope on after all. checked it over and zero'd it to 10 meters and it seems a well built little gun. ideal for my daughter. still a bit big for my lad, though he has shot suprisingly well with it.

It does make you appreciate a nice HW trigger though lol. might see if i can improve on the feel of it as it seems very stiff.