1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

cylinder testing i wouldn't recommend

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Westphalian, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

Got back home to find my wife looking guilty. My 7L dive cylinder had arrived earlier.
    "There may be a problem"
    "What?"
    "Yesterday i instructed the delivery company just throw any parcels over the (6ft) gate if no one was in"
    "What?"
    "I meant any parcels containing clothes"
    "not fragile effing compressed air cylinders that will be pressurised at 400 bar then?"

The exterior packaging was all damaged but the bottle seems ok.
    i will be getting it filled at the weekend so if my posts stop you know there has been an explosion in the durham area

2. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

b****r :eek:

I'd suggest, for all concerned, that you get the bottle checked before filling up. T'is not worth the risk !

3. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Posting Addict

I suppose its the old addage of "be careful what you ask for as you might just get it". To be fair to the wife, even if she didn't instructed them to throw stuff over the fence, chances are they would have anyway. Here's hoping all is well.:up:

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

To be fair, the courier should have known better than to throw something heavy over a 6ft gate

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  5. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

I think there is a market for a manufacturer to produce some kind of box that parcels can be safely delivered into but not removed from. I see and here it a lot, parcel delivery is becoming the major annoyance of modern life.

Hope your cylinder in okay.

James

6. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

Don't panic - I used to do a lot of Scuba diving, and I've seen full cylinders dropped 15 feet down a harbour wall and just get scraped, they are seriously tuff. Any sign of damage would only be limited to the valve, and you would see it as it would have to be so serious to bend the valve.

In the airgun world people think of these as fragile :D - forget that! I've handled literally thousands over the years, NEVER seen one go pop.

James

7. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

You should see the way that parcels are handled within aviation. When I send any item, if I cant pack it well enough, so that it can be deliberately dropped and still be ok, then I don't send it. Sad state of affairs, but its the world we live in. Football with parcels, I often say. KB1

8. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

What he said, if there was any damage you'd see it.
    6ft onto any surface even concrete is nothing at all, only the gauge could be damaged - it doesn't mean they should have done it though...

9. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

u can simple comply to the courier company for a full coverage and order a new cylinder

10. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

Seeing FRAGILE on a packet at Royal Mail is a constant source of mirth. Some guy comes out after me yesterday and says "You managed to force the parcel through the letterbox then?" Do you want to parcel or not?
    First rule of Post Club: If you don't take the draught excluder off, you're not really trying.

11. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

My wife (as punishment) took it to a dive shop today. Apparently she said "can you fill it with stuff?" The guy said as it is new he had to keep it for a few hours after filling "for the air to settle and then top it up as it would lose 30% pressure"???? I'm no physicist but that doesn't ring true. Mind you, this is second hand from my missus ;-) I know you have to charge it slowly cos of the heat and subsequent cooling causing loss of volume

12. splat

splat Donator

if they were that flimsy there'd be firemen flying through the air left ,right and centre.....have a good look, use common sense. if there's no visible damage I'd not worry about it. if you are a worrier then £35 quid will pay for it to be tested. ( your not limited to set times, can test as often as you can afford..regs are only minimum frequency) ATB
    filled to pressure when hot, can drop as much 20/30 bar (on 200bar cylinder) as it cools to room temperature. so approx 10% anymore is exaggeration.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  13. Westphalian

Westphalian Donator

I am a worrier but I am also tight. It will be fine

14. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Happened with me the first time i got my new 9ltr tank filled. Because of the time it takes to fill, there's a lot of heat in the tank from the air from the compressor. They filled mine to 300Bar as normal, and when i got home, the tank had cooled down, and pressure read 270bar. Took it back, and they topped it up foc. They said this is normal for a first fill, subsequent fills there will always be a little air left in the tank to stop this from happening in future.

15. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

I've seen lots of Firemen flying through the air, left, right, centre & complicated curves - this has never been due to a cylinder rupturing.

16. splat

splat Donator

Lol...you need to tell your pump operator to reduce pressure at the branch..pmsl

17. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

The drop in pressure after cooling is normally around 10%ish as Splat says. This is not as apparent when filling a half full tank, as your only getting it half filled! If you fill an empty tank, then your getting it all filled, and there is twice as much air going in, so it creates more heat, so it expands more and creates more pressure - this then reduces as the tank cools, making your 300bar more like 260/270bar. Physics, don't you just love it? :D

James