1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Cyclists With A Death Wish

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by TinCan Tony, Feb 4, 2020.

1. TinCan Tony

TinCan Tony Can I video that?

When I'm working in the office, I usually leave the house at around 05:30 each morning. My journey to work takes me through various road scenario's, including unlit roads and country lanes.

I'm amazed at just how many cyclists are prepared to pedal in the dark, dressed in dark clothing, no lights on their bicycle, no reflectors, no hi-vis and no head protection.

Do these people realise just how impossible they are to see in the pitch dark until you're right up behind them?

When I was a lad, I was taught that you never go out in the dark without lights on you bicycle. I never did and I never have. In fact, if my lights were too dim it wasn't unknown for the local Bobby to pull me up and recommend I replace my batteries. (Yeah, like that's going to happen these days - when was the last time you saw a 'Bobby' on the beat?). But, these are fully grown adults I encounter in the mornings who should know better, especially with so many vehicles on the road nowadays.

I'm sure that, even if I went out on a bicycle these days, the first thing I'd think about would be my own safetey and be as highly visible as possible.

Figgy, SlyM1ke, Marky-Boy and 3 others like this.
  2. Vangard

Vangard Busy Member

I may be wrong but I thought it was the law to have lights on your bike after dark.
    I remember as a lad being made to walk by the local copper because my front light didn't work.

Vulcanfreak, Matool and TinCan Tony like this.
  3. TinCan Tony

You are correct, @Vangard :thumb:

But, when did you last see a copper around to enfoce it? ;)

TORNADOS7, Vangard and SlugFest like this.
  4. TinCan Tony

When I was a lad, I didn't dare do my paper round without lights on my bycycle, in case a Bobby saw me and made me have to walk it instead.

Oh, how things have changed.

Wing Commander likes this.
  5. Vangard

Vangard Busy Member

your right there mate the thing is the cyclists your talking about are adults so you can't even blame their parents.
    And should the worst happen and they got knocked off their bikes the car driver would be blamed .
    So wrong in many ways .

Matool likes this.
  6. Paul55

Paul55 Posting Addict

I lost count of the number of times I was told off for having no lights by the local bobby. I wasn't being belligerent, it was just that I couldn't afford the batteries, great big lumps as I recall. These days there is absolutely no excuse, you can buy a set from the local pound shop that are far superior than the cycle lamps of my boyhood.

TinCan Tony and Vangard like this.
  7. Wing Commander

Wing Commander Busy Member

It is sad to say, but modern cyclists can be an arrogant bunch. They seem to be convinced that any rules of the road should never apply to them. . What's more, they become highly aggressive if challenged about their rule (law) breaking.
    They are nothing more than lycra louts.

Wild Bill, garryt, oedbachgen and 5 others like this.
  8. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Keyboard Hero

Grown men who ride their bikes on the pavement , too vain to wear a helmet and too s**t scared to ride on the roads , just walk then you little bitches .

rant over :p

9. TinCan Tony

They were, weren't they? A twin-cell battery on the front with a couple of brass flaps on them. And a couple of 'D' cells for the rear light. They were lumpy great things and, because of the filament light bulbs, they only lasted about a week with moderate use.

True, and they burn the eyes out of any driver driving towards them in the opposite direction. :eek:

10. TinCan Tony

Strange thing is, Jimmy, you tend to find the older (45 years plus) cyclists DO have lights, and wear headgear. Well, that's what I've noticed. And, most children will be fully protected by their parents. There just seems to be a certain age group who think they're oblivious to the dangers around them. :shrug:

11. Jimmypie

Jimmypie Keyboard Hero

is 45 & up the new “grown man” if so I’ve got some growing to do myself :p , it’s a plague on my estate , but your right if I had to put a demographic on it , I’d say 18-30 yr olds , it’s aggravating when they expect me and my 3yr old daughter to move out the way so they don’t have to go either on the road or the grass verge which borders the entire pathway , I kind of have to now because of my daughter , but when I had my dog I was known for “not noticing” :D , and the bonus was my dog hated anything that moved :p

TinCan Tony likes this.
  12. gw8izr

gw8izr Active Member

I’m nearly 60 and ride a bike, I learned a good few years back that I no longer bounce and most motorists don’t know what the windscreen is for.

So lights and a helmet for me, night or day.

13. Jukebox

Jukebox Better to burn out...than to fade away.

Not round here mate...they are a ******** menace.
    Old people in skin tight lycra that ride a metre out into the road as they dont want to ride in the side of the road and then on a Sunday they have to have their mates riding side by side with them so you cant get past.
    I'd ban lycra warriors to ride single file as close to the kerb as possible with front and rear lights and hi viz vests as a minimum on the road....they should also be made to pay road tax and insurance to maintain the upkeep of the roads they use.
    In fact.....make them all take a test and hold a licence to ride on the road like you would a moped.... as the amount of jockeys round here that think traffic laws like red lights and pedestrian crossings dont mean s**t to them do my head in.

Ps...I'm not anti cyclist but believe they should pay and contribute like all other road users if they demand space on it.

14. Rattymcrattyface

Rattymcrattyface Ok boomer

pffft last time i had any advice off a copper on the beat was to get off an extremely wide path and empty path and into a busy dangerous main road. I shouted back yeh right catch me and i stayed on the path. :handjob:

15. TinCan Tony

It's an idea, but it'll never happen. ;)

But, you've also got horse riders, who, take absolute presidence on the road, but driver's don't realise it. Never seen a tax disc on one of those either. :rolleyes:

Jukebox likes this.
  16. Jukebox

True....but I've never seen a fit woman gyrating on a push bike round here either ;)
    In fairness it's rare to see horses on the road much round my neck but you always give em a wide berth as it was horses and hard manual work that made our area Tony.....certainly ain't middle aged grown men dressed in skin tight clothing getting on everyone else's tits :D

17. Claypole

Claypole Posting Addict

A couple of years ago I bought my missus a bike, and I knew it would only be used occasionally. She certainly wouldn't plan on riding in the dark, (and she never has). Despite this, as soon as I got the bike, I went down to Halfords and for the paltry sum of £5 I got a couple of small LED lights.

These £5, lithium battery powered LED lights are only on the bike for the unlikely chance my missus might one day find herself riding home on a cycle path in fading light, which she wouldn't ever do anyway.

I consider this to be normal practice, yet I constantly see people riding to and from work in the dark, on main roads with no lights on their bikes. These aren't occassional cyclists, these are people who deliberately set out to ride in the dark, and are happy to put themsleves at significant risk of serious injury or death just because they can't be bothered to spend a tiny amount of money on a couple of cheap lights.

Also, round my way, they've replaced most of the orange, sodium street lights with fancy LED ones, which happen to be virtually useless. They dazzle you if you happen to look directly at them, but do an awful job of lighting up the pavements and roads (assuming they're even working). Unlit cyclists and pedestrians jaywalking are at even more risk than ever before.

Some cyclists even go one step further along the road to a Darwin award and take the reflectors of their bikes because they don't look cool. Oh, and don't get me started on courier cyclists who decide they only need a front brake.

18. Dayrth

Dayrth Engaging Member

I'm a horse rider. The law says that horses should have precedence on the road, but no car drivers seem to know that and when you're on a horse arguing with a car is not such a good idea.
    Even in broad daylight on my enormous 17hh horse who's not hard to spot, I wouldn't ride on the road without hi viz gear, helmet and body protector on. If I have to be on the road in the dark I make sure myself and the horse are lit up like a Christmas tree as well.
    Your right about the tax, but no one I know rides without insurance. I do know some car drivers who drive without either.
    I have to agree with everything said about cyclists though. Bain of my life when driving or riding :mad:

WR14210, warrenater and Jukebox like this.
  19. TinCan Tony

I wasn't having a dig at horse riders in the slightest @Dayrth
    I respect every one of them when I'm driving and understand their precedence on the road. Which is more than I can say for some drivers I've seen.

It was just a mention in response to cyclists not paying road tax. Just in case my comment got misinterpreted. Don't want to open up that can of worms again. :thumb:

Dayrth and Jukebox like this.
  20. Jukebox

Please pray tell me that theres not a band of 'road warriors' on here that will come in and vehemently defend their passion for annoying every other road user?
    Do I need to step away from this thread before someone gets there lycra in a twist at my comments? :D:cool::facepalm:

TinCan Tony likes this.