1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Crow

Discussion in 'Get it off your chest' started by Margaret13, May 10, 2012.

1. Margaret13

Margaret13 Honorary Member

Been feeding birds for over 20 years,get Robins,Great Tits, Blue Tits, etc.Made it so cats can't get them ,made it so squirrels can't get anything,but the last few days a bl**dy crow has been taking things its worked out how to pick the nut feeder up then drop it so it pours out on floor,So I have had to tie them all on which is a pain when I need to re fill.Now this morning I see him out there trying to work out how to undo the string I have used, I went out there to chase him off but he wouldn't go until I threw a glass off water over him :mad:.Let the war begin :violent2:.

2. evolution

evolution Engaging Member

Mmmm sounds like that crow needs a bit of lead in its ear:D

3. Macdoog

Macdoog Post Whore

I used to shoot corvids...but they are so intelligent and funny to watch. Jackdaws mate for life....I couldnt bring myself to shoot someones wife or husband!! If I cant eat it I wont shoot it. I hope you can come up with a non lethal way of outwitting the crow...altho I doubt it!!!

4. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

Just do it, pop a pellet in its lug hole !!!

5. Margaret13

Well been thinking :confuzed: a thin chain over the handle of the bird feeder then he would have to work the chain link over the hook that holds it not that clever are they :whoo:......well now to find some chain,

6. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Post Whore

The crow has long been recognized for its intelligence in outwitting humans who try to ban its access to acquiring an easy meal. But lately it is the crow's ability to make and to use tools that has been acquiring this bird a great deal of attention and scientific study.

One of the defining characteristics of being human is the ability to make and use tools. Two other creatures share the second place spot for their capabilities in this same talent and these creatures are the chimpanzee and the Crow. Crows are intelligent enough to actually have accomplished one of the abilities which defines being classed as a human being. Crows have the ability to make and to use tools.

Source: http://www.squidoo.com/crows_intelligence

Sounds like a challenge!

7. Margaret13

oh well will have to see ...just chased him off again :down:

8. Jack

Jack Big Poster

Jays are also very clever!!

9. CaptainMP

CaptainMP Engaging Member

Theres a Raven that lives local to us and he is great fun.

If you hold your hand out he will come down and sit on your arm like a bird of prey. He is very intelligent, always wandering around and opening things, very inquisitive.

We get great pleasure and entertainment from him.

10. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Crows are very clever.. One of the reasons I never shot any corvid.

11. the ratcher

the ratcher Engaging Member

The only free meal that crow need's is a lead breakfast.

12. Margaret13

So funny watching him this morning trying his best to get the nut feeder off he gave up and flew off lets hope that's the last off him :D

13. Tadpole

Tadpole Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Don't give up just yet Marge, could be you train him up & do a double act .................. :D ................... :coffee:

14. Margaret13

:eek: you saying I'm a crow lol

15. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

they are very very clever birds and they can figure most things out .....good luck your gonna need it lol

16. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Tbh I'm not a fan of killing stuff unless it's absolutely neccessary, and agree with some of the previous posts about Corvids.. very intelligent, characterful birds.

Perhaps instead of shooting it you should assign it tasks of increasing complexity in order to get at it's breakfast :p

17. Ronnieman

Ronnieman Engaging Member

I'm with bunnyblatter get him a high speed lead hat!!!

18. Margaret13

No wouldn't shoot him don't even mind him helping his self to some food after all its a bird table but he flies off with the bird-feeder it self etc so I have to replace them :( he's not been about today but I have been out there most off today.

19. ithica -john

ithica -john Post Whore

lots of birds at the farm

blue and great tits, siskin, greenfinch, goldcrest, wrens, blackbirds, wrens, woodpeckers, sparrows...and a sparrowhawk that takes a daily dive through the trees..haha

anyway...seed, peanuts, and raisins for the ground feeders

in the trees, blocks made from melted suet and peanuts
    plus sunflower hearts and peanuts in ''squirrel-proof'' feeders
    these are a feeder tube within a cage and the crows NEVER touch

if i add bread cubes to the ground feed I have several rooks visit - but to be honest - so what ..? as much right to feed here as the siskins

i will however take out any magpies -- personal decision
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ps dont put 'whole' peanuts on the ground...fledglings can choke on a whole nut

buy a rotary grater and the peanuts easily grind down to small bits

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  20. ANGOF

ANGOF Post Whore

just get 100 cable ties for £1 at the local pound shop and then snip it off and replace when you have to refill. Thats what i do as the corvids do the same. Stand on the branch next to the feeder and try to bounce it off. Sometimes get 2 Pica pica`s standing next to each other trying there best to get it off. They havnt beaten the cable tie yet :D