1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Crow problems question

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by neiled, May 4, 2014.

1. neiled

neiled Donator

I live on a small housing estate and one of my neighbours has a bit of a crow problem that he's asked for my help as he knows that I go shooting but I'm not sure of the answer so can anyone help me out?

It's quite a new estate and when it was built all the houses had full chimneys built up the outside wall to allow a fire or solid fuel burner to be used in the lounge. The neighbour, who lives opposite me seems to have a crows nest in his chimney as we can see crows regularly landing on the pot and going down inside the chimney and he says they make a hell of a scratching noise when they're inside.

Rather than have to get a ladder and get up on the roof to try and sort it out he's asked me to go in to his garden and shoot the crows as they land and go in and out so am I allowed to do this (he's asked his neighbours and they're happy for this to be done)?

I did google it and found the info below:

"It is an offence to fire an air rifle pellet beyond the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the occupier of the neighbouring land has also given you permission. Where someone under 14 is shooting, both the young person and the supervising adult can be prosecuted.

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway if this results in someone being injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a road and the pellets ricochet onto the highway".

2. Snipertez

Snipertez Donator

I would say no, as putting up a ladder and fitting a cowl onto the pot is very easily done ?

If you shoot the crows, others will probably just replace them anyway. And shooting up into the air in a built up residential area is generaly regarded as a no-no.

3. neiled

neiled Donator

I was thinking the same thing but it's a shame though :(

4. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

Hi Neil. They will be Jackdaws for sure! My neighbour has this problem, I rang him up a fortnight ago to tell him that the jackdaws were depositing sticks in his chimney, I advised him to light his fire for a few days to deter these birds, it did the trick, but you cannot shoot them as you will be allowing pellets to exit either yours or your neighbours boundary, tell him to do what my neighbour did! Atb Paul.

5. neiled

neiled Donator

Thanks for the advise lads it's just as I thought really so I'll go across and tell him he needs to get up there and sort it as i'm sure he hasn't got an open fire in the lounge.

6. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

If they've built a nest then he will be best either getting a chimney sweep or rodding it himself to clear any obstructions.,if you light a fire and its blocked all you will succeed in doing is filling the room with smoke.I rod my own chimney using draining rods and a round chimney brush.easiest way is to shove the first 1m rod with brush attached up chimney then seal around fireplace with clear plastic and tape then make a small hole and attach other rods to the one in chimney,then rod to your heart's content without fear of soot flying round the house :) allow to settle then remove and clean soot,it works well,then deffo fit a cowl.I'm lucky I can shoot whatever lands on my chimney no other houses in a over a mile :Dradius

7. ratharvester

ratharvester Donator

Forget that then lol:) post above says no fire,aye he'll have to get up and check nowt in pot then either fit a cowl or chicken wire on top.

8. neiled

neiled Donator

Don't you just love a good rodding......ooh 'er missus ;)

I'm going to go over and tell him I can't help and give him all the suggestions and let him get on with it.

9. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

I had the same problem last year, it was Jackdaws and i had to clean the chimney out after the young ones had left the nest. You won't believe just how much crap will come out.

10. Dag

Dag Pro Poster

I think we have to be careful as to the exact wording of the law as the above is different to that shown under the offences section of Airgun Law in this forum which states:
    ".........Firing an air weapon within 15m / 50ft of a public highway £1,000 fine. "

As you can see one appears only to commit an offence if someone is injured etc whereas the other is an offence based on distance alone. Also the definition of the distance is different ie one is within 50ft of a highway whereas the other appears to be 50ft of the centre of the highway.
    Perhaps there needs to be some mention of where one will find the true wording of the law as ignorance, or in this case reading something subtly different would be no excuse.
    Dag