1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Crosman Ratcatcher 2250b (.22)

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by andyh, May 7, 2008.

1. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

I've never written a review before so forgive me if there is information that you would like in the review that I've omitted and am no expert when it comes to guns so my review is based on my own experience of the gun. For your info I am 5' 11" and and medium build which may have some significance to the experience I have had with the gun.
    I bought the gun some 4 months ago for £110 including the crosman scope from my local gun and fishng tackle shop.
    Straight out of the box the gun shot well is easy to load and gave somewhere around 25 good consistent shots per co2 capsule, it was very cold at the time. The gun and scope were easy to zero in and shots were consistent and grouping was pretty good too. You can remove the scope and use the standard sights if you want to.
    I was surprised at the loud "bang" (much louder that the HW80) the gun gives, as it was co2 I was expecting a quiet gun, me being naive I think. As I used it more I became more aware of its shortcomings, particularly the length of the stock. This is a problem due to the limited scope movement as the scope is mounted using pro blocks and there is no dovetail rails for the scope to be mounted on. The pro blocks do NOT hold the scope securely and allow the scope to "wobble". Basically the pro blocks and fitting for the scopes using their barrel system is crap. Trigger is a bit rough but not over sensitive. The finish leaves a bit to be desired but it's a £110 gun. Power output not massive but depends what you want to shoot with it as to whether there is sufficient power there. Regards co2 capsules I found the Crosman ones better than the Walther ones giving better consistency and more shots(that could be weather differentials causing the variation though). Eley Wasp pellets were consistent as well as the dearer Crosman Accupells'
    I have now fitted some "mods", namely a Weirauch silencer using an adapter to 1/2" UNF thread adapter. Gun now very quiet, fitted a trigger shoe which makes it much more comfortable to use, removed the original breech and replaced it with a steel one which allows the scope to travel further bach to the eye eliminating the long stock problem and changed the scope to a 3-9 x 40. Now I feel I have a very decent lightweight gun.
    The Ratcatcher is a cheap gun straight out of the box with bags of potential for mods, I've spent a tidy little sum on the upgrades and with hindsight the cost of the mods I bought I could maybe have bought a full power PCP for the cost of the Ratcatcher, contradicting myself a bit I love my ratty and wouldn't swap it cos it's lightweight and does what I want it to do. Good for short range ratting ! Hence Ratcatcher I suppose.
    Conclusion, a reasonable purchase but needs certain upgrades to make it a super little gun.

I hope you enjoyed my review,

2. steve410

steve410 Big Poster

Great review mate and a good read,keep up the good work :up:

3. Ben NZ

Ben NZ Active Member

Nice one. There is a modder here in Nz, on the nzairgunners.com forum who modifies crosman rifles and pistols and sells them. From the 2250b he makes a 2270XT, a bulk filled rifle capable of over 20 ft/lbs!!! Theres several posts on our forum about them. He is currently making me a rabbit/possum pistol from a 2240, capable of 12ft/lbs. Thats doing well I think! :D

He has now started his mods on the Crosman Benjamin Discovery :up::up:

4. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Nice review, I'd pretty much go with what you said there. The Crosman is a cheap gun, yet it's over priced here! I don't think many people know that they go for between $80-$120 in the US which is no more than £60! :eek:

You can get various after market parts for the Ratcatcher, including breeches that have dovetail mounts on them :up:

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  5. andyh

andyh Engaging Member

I've just been on the Crosman web site (http://www.crosman.com/site/custom_store) and "built" my own custom ratty, as similar as possible to what you buy here without a scope, cost $73.55, just done a currency conversion and it works out at £37.24. Talkabout RIP OFF BRITAIN, we get stitched up for almost everything. If it was on sale here at that price they'd sell thousands.

6. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

I think they're more expensive here because they're shipped over the Atlantic, if you try adding something like that to your cart on a US site then they quote you about £70 p&p usually. That could be why they're more expensive here, because they're not made here :confused:

7. Borja1979

Borja1979 Engaging Member

can you actually import them? is not a problem? cos iwll have 2 ajajaj

8. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

you can buy them in this country in most gun shops.

9. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

You can't order the custom made ones from the Crosman website to be delivered anywhere outside of the US, which I think is a shame.

With this new VCR act in place I think it's now illegal to import any guns into the UK :(

[need to add that you obviously can if you're an RFD]

10. Molecatcher

Molecatcher Active Member

I have a Ratcatcher on order, should be here next week. Could you please tell me the best place to send it for a "Dogs Whiskers" tune up please?

11. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member

its easy to do it yourself, if i can do it anyone can:D i've had alot of help from a few kind people on this forum and i get all my upgrades from http://www.gmaccustomparts.com/epages/BT3197.sf who are very helpfull hasn't been too expensive either, i now have a king ratty that will easily kill a bunny at 30yrds:up: and i've enjoyed every minute of upgrading it.
    i hope i've given you some food for thought :)
    Kind regards
    Darrell

12. mattw975

mattw975 Big Poster

Not only that but there is import duty to pay on top.

It is not illegal to bring in sub 12 FPE air weapons from overseas. Pyramid Air in the USA will ship to the UK.

Cheers,

Matt W

13. slingshot

slingshot Engaging Member

as darrell says parts are not too expensive and you can do the work yourself with no special tools required and at the end of the day if your gun goes belly up you can fix it because you built it another good place for parts is sdcustomdesign.com
    and if you intend to upgrade it then a combro is a must as each little tweek you give it adds up and very soon you are over the top

atb Andy