1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

CRASH FOR CASH

Discussion in 'General chit chat' started by DUNKS, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

I have just been a victim of what my insurance company suspect is a crash for cash.
    Very clever how it was done.
    Unfortunately for the perps I did just stop in time and only lightly patted their motor up the bum. hardly a mark on my car but they are claiming a full write off and three personal injury claims.
    Will see how it pans out, early days yet.
    Frightener is that my insurers legal rep says it's not unheard of for these people to sue me personally. Wont cost them as they get legal aid but could ruin me if I had crap insurance who would not defend me.
    Nasty world we now live in.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The advice I have seen for covering yourself is to take plenty of photos, including the vehicle occupants and get details of them with descriptions and note how many people were in the car as well since after the crash it sometimes hapens that there were a number of invisible passengers who all suffered terrible whiplash. A dashboard camera can be helpful as well.
    If your insurance company believe it is a scam there is a good chance they will get it investigated, it won't be the first or last time that this gang have done this. Good luck.

3. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

Just one of many reasons i have fitted a dashcam to my car. I have nearly 10 years of no claims i want to keep :)

4. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

I use to have CCTV on my previous car, just 35 pounds from bay and lots of help within any discussion

5. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Dash cam is good idea but means little. Two cars in front of you, front one veers and brakes and then drives off, "gone" car in front of you brakes hard and you hit him. dash camera would show this but it happens all the time on our roads and is perfectly genuine. not a crash for cash and is defendable in court.

I did ask the three men in the car were they hurt or in any discomfort. All said no OK My insurer says whiplash can legitimately develop days after. Damage to vehicle has already been done so taking photos wont help much although cant be a bad idea. These folk are experts and I fear one up on must of us.
    Both vehicles are being examined by crash investigators.

6. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I think perpetrators of these crash for cash stunts when they're found out should be put on a black list held by the insurance companies and refused insurance.Then if they drive without insurance and they're caught the vehicle should be confiscated and scraped unless it's a high value vehicle,which I very much doubt,then it should be resold at aution.

7. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

This is one reason I use ISYMDVR app loaded onto my iPhone and on a windscreen mount! It shows all telemetry data when driving and automatically saves crash data video to a protected file. You can review and delete normal driving data as you wish.

http://acapps.info/iOS/iSymDVR/index.html

Insurance companies are getting very clever at weeding these crash for cash perpetrators out now, I had the misfortune of a accident in April where an old woman pulled directly in front of me from a side road, I had minor tissue injury to my shoulder as the air bags didn't deploy due to the low speed of the impact, the insurers make you jump through hoops now in order to claim compensation.

Good luck Dunks, hope they don't get away with it!

8. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

This is probably the case already mate, I recently took out insurance on a new car after 11 years on a block policy - the questions they ask about being involved in fraud etc were quite daunting.

9. Gary mills

Gary mills Engaging Member

I was told that you do not have to pay through you're insurance company
    Tell them you are willing to for the damage you're self. They will have to take you to court which can take month to sort out
    You then say if they get judgement that you can £10 a month and they will not like that and by the time it all gets in court they may have been round up by the police

It dont help with the damage to you're car but it will sod them over

10. Patrick

Patrick Donator

As most of these cash for crash stunts are caused by shunting someone up the rear end I suppose it means we have to make sure we leave ample stopping distance from the car in front,sometimes easier said than done I know but we're all guilty,myself included, of not doing so sometimes.We'll all have to be a bit more wary when following a car with a group of blokes or more than one occupant in it as it's usually that sought that pull these stunts

11. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

A dash camera would show up things such as no brake lights and confirm the number of occupants as well as the scene at the time of the crash. If a second vehicle is involved then you should at least be able to get an idea of the make/model and colour just in case it's being used frequently and details have previously been recorded. Photos of damage to vehicles won't show much as the bodywork will often spring back to original position and the bits behind can be severely damaged.
    Any photos of occupants can help to identify them n case a different person turns up at hospital with the 'severe' injuries. Just having a dash cam fitted may help especially if you point it out to them and say you can use it as evidence later.
    Unfortunately these scam artists are everywhere but the insurance companies are working on it and have reduced the number of claims and both my wife and I have seen our premiums go down this year (and last as well) so it seems as though they are having some success. No doubt there will be a new scam along soon - watch out for drivers flashing to let you out into traffic and then ramming you!

12. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Sorry I assume you are helping but I just don't understand. There was no damage to my car and I certainly cant repair theirs if it's a write off!

13. Gary mills

Gary mills Engaging Member

So what i am saying is
    If you say to the other driver that you want to settle any claim with out using you're insurance company they will have to take you to court. If the claim goes in there favour IE you have to pay them. Just tell the court you are willing to pay £10 a week. That way you dont lose you're No Claims discount and they will have to wait for a long time to get the money off you

14. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Got it now. Great idea. I didn't know that if fined in court you could choose how much you pay a week. I assumed that the full amount would be demanded if you had that much in the bank. Also who pays my solicitors bill for fighting the case in court?
    I have protected no claims anyway.

15. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Even if you settle a claim without putting it through your insurance company you are still legally obliged to tell them that you were involved in an accident and that may affect your renewal premium.If the court ruling goes against you and you've employed the services of a solicitor/barrister you'll have to pay and believe me that won't be cheap!Possibly have to pay the other person's costs as well, my advice stay well clear of courts if possible the only people that make money out of the law are solicitors.I think I would let the insurance company handle it especially since you have protected no claims discount even if your premium goes up a bit that will be peanuts compared to solicitors fees should you take the other route.

16. themadspread

themadspread Donator

what nationality were they

17. DUNKS

DUNKS Big Poster

Lets just say English was not their first language, name was Mahmoud!

18. Patrick

Patrick Donator

How unusual,who'd have thought that! ;)

19. Whistler1

Whistler1 Donator

Was thinking the same thing...

Well thairs a turn up for the books....who would have guessed:rolleyes:

20. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Since when can anyone choose not to inform their insurance company and go to court, if the other party is insured then they report it and your in more trouble.